Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fintan O'Toole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

fintan o'toole oh he is a disaster an embarassment a disgrace a little battie boy heheheheheh writing for the west british times what more could you expect from this garbage?????

i say SET THE WOLFE TONES ON HIM hahahahaha see how he likes that oh he would wet himself what a little girly hehe little poncey hahahha my little pony they should call him hahah hey what about polly pocket hehehe what u all think:p

ooh ahh up the ra:p:p:D hehehehehehehahahahahahohohoho:cool:

I wouldn't be laughing at anyone if I were you, you're barely literate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

coolbeans wrote: »

get a haircut you hippy :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

coolbeans wrote: »
    get a haircut you hippy :mad::mad:

Stop bickering!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

sceptre wrote: »
    There's a certain view out there that we should support everything that's Irish, merely by virtue of it being Irish.

Also, we're supposed to get one over on the government at all times (especially if that involves tax evasion), take any opportunity to criticise the UK and those feckless Yanks and of course castigate everyone that doesn't by calling them west brits and probably also implying that they're gay. It worked in the schoolyard so why not now. Oh yes, and skew Internet polls so that Daniel O'Donnell gets voted the greatest living Frenchman, the cliffs of Moher get voted bigger than the moon and we can all become king of the travellers. Just as long as we're noticed.

We're a young country. At times, a young teenage country. But only bits of us. A few slaps around the head and that pituitary gland will start churning out the good stuff. Then we're sucking diesel. Apparently. Because that's what we'd really like to be doing. But in the meantime we can get great joy out of acting pubescent and wondering with wide innocent eyes why the Germans are suspicious of us with their money. Boo yah! Take it in the eye, people with some element of taste!

<sigh>

Great post - although I suspect that our ambivalence about laws has deeper roots in our past as a colony too.

Also - "boards" != "ireland" by a long shot, although the vast majority of the opinions expressed on here may very well be echoed by many who aren't members here I doubt whether many of the views are one encounters on here are as prevalent in the "non boards" sections of Irish society.

Calling one of Ireland's more perceptive cultural analysts a "self hating" Irishman all because of his opinion of a couple of contestants on a foreign gameshow is still bonkers, no matter which way you dress it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Let's review the evidence:

Surely the Indo's standards are higher then [sic] this?

You'd think that, wouldn't you?

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    Stop bickering!

hiya mate just saying cant believe this little blow in from the cycling forums (heheheheh cyclin forum hahahahaha good1) who doesnt even post in AH would come in here to my fan club and humiliate and embarass me in front of all my friends family fans :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

hiya mate just saying cant believe this little blow in from the cycling forums (heheheheh cyclin forum hahahahaha good1) who doesnt even post in AH would come in here to my fan club and humiliate and embarass me in front of all my friends family fans :mad::mad::mad:

genericguy wrote: »

WHO IS THIS:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,021 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He mentions no discernible talent? That didn't stop many many "artists and entertainers" in the past. Holy sh!t, Mary Coughlan is classed as a singer, Ronnie Drew is classed as a singer. The list goes on and on.
    Bono is classed as a singer.

The lads are 18, having a bit of craic, enjoying themselves and putting on a show.
    They IMO do have talent. They entertain. Not great singers, but they get by and are better than some so called singers out there.

Pure begrudging attitude. They are Irish, and wouldn't it be some ****ing skit if they pulled this off?

Seriously, I'd rather see them win it than some of the other bores in the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Infracted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

walshb wrote: »
    Pure begrudging attitude.
    There's a difference between thinking someone's sh1te and irritating... and begrudging them success.
    If John and Edward ended up on the bingo hall circuit (and there's a good chance they could) I personally would still consider them sh1te and irritating.

And I seriously, seriously doubt Fintan O'Toole begrudges them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As Simon Cowell, one of the talent show judges, puts it: “They are completely deluded and they live in a fantasy world, but they’re lovely.”

Who better to embody the nation we have been?

I LOL'd :D

runs off to hide somewhere safe and warm

Dudess wrote: »
    There's a difference between thinking someone's sh1te and irritating... and begrudging them success.
    If John and Edward ended up on the bingo hall circuit (and there's a good chance they could) I personally would still consider them sh1te and irritating.

And I seriously, seriously doubt Fintan O'Toole begrudges them...

Yeh, maybe he doesn't begrudge them, but he's obviously a poor judge of talent, IMO.

Folks seem to be forgetting that the show is more than just a singing competition.

The lads put on a hell of an energetic performance. I'd personally rather watch and listen to their act than any of the others this year. All the acts have talent, jeez, to get up there and do what they do takes guts and talent. I am not saying they are the next Beatles or Queen, but they do have talent.

The twins are also IMO far more likable and endearing than the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

but he's obviously a poor judge of talent, IMO.
    He obviously isn't, IMO. In fairness, he said they have a lack of "discernible" talent, implying there's possibly some there but he personally just can't see it.

Dudess wrote: »
    He obviously isn't, IMO. In fairness, he said they have a lack of "discernible" talent, implying there's possibly some there but he personally just can't see it.

Well then, he needs to go to specsavers!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

I think Fintan O'Toole thinks too much about Jedward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I think people are entirely missing the point of this article; it has very little to do with the x-factor twins and everything to do with 'Celtic Tiger' Ireland.
    And it's pretty much spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Great post - although I suspect that our ambivalence about laws has deeper roots in our past as a colony too.
    Yes indeed, I think you're on the nose as to why and when there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Pure begrudging attitude. They are Irish, and wouldn't it be some ****ing skit if they pulled this off?
    You mean, like funny? For some reason I'm reminded of that Muppets exchange between Statler and Warldorf:
    "He was doing all right till he fell off the stage"
    "No, he was doing all right till he got on the stage"

Personally, my disdain finds their Irishness or non-Irishness irrelevant. I'd rather see other people with more talent stay in place of the pair of pseudo-comedians. And there are plenty of them, they've been voting them off for a few weeks now. The tone-deaf pair would still be eligible to do their comedy routine in Britain's Got Talent or whatever our equivalent is. Just like Stavros Flatley, who at least understood that his act was entertaining because it was funny.

And ascanbe's right, he's really writing about the Celtic Tiger. Which is all of us and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I have a problem with "Jedward" because they're ****, pure and simple. What's more Irish people vote for them time and again which baffles the mind...oh wait, it all makes sense now, we voted for FF after all. :confused:
    Seriously though, Fintan O'Toole is right on the ball. Personally, I have no problem with the guys but the best should get through based on merit and merit alone and not because of some tribal "stick it to the Brits" bull**** mentality that people like "enniscorthy" seem to harbour. My real problem is with a system that allows two lads who are completely and utterly bereft of talent gain such exposure when there are loads of promising musicians all over the country who would kill for such an opportunity. These are people who have taken the time to learn to play instruments, to sing in tune and to, in many cases, write their own music. X factor and Jedward are a complete insult to these people and are an affront to anyone who believes that fame and fortune should come as a result of God given talent, graft and some luck. Jedward and their ilk just want the fame. Talent seems completely irrelevant. O'Toole rightly laments the fact that the Irish people vote for those who seek a short cut to fortune, an attitude that has played a large part in bringing us to where we are today.
    And please, spare me the "begrudger" accusations. They're singers and they're really **** singers. That's not begrudgery, that's a fact!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I have respect for WB Yeats, Oscar Wilde, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Thin Lizzy, U2, Stephen Roche, Padraig Harrington, Colin Farrell, Liam Neeson.

I respect them in large part part because they're Irish, and groundbreakingly successful.

I do not respect "Jedward". They make me cringe.
    They make me cringe in large part because they are Irish, and groundbreakingly Shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Fintan o'toole is spot on, they embody everything that is wrong with modern pop culture i.e. completely talentless

anyway he's not self loathing he just doesn't like jedward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

I think Fintan O'Toole thinks too much about Jedward

Not only does he think to much Jedward, he uses likens their success to the final death throws of the Celtic tiger.
    Fintan likes to pontificate to us in a horrid tone of righteous indignation.
    He wants us to think that we are bad people for taking every opportunity that the boom presented us.
    He wants us to know that Fintan knew better, he saw all this is coming. He is an expert on what is good for Ireland. Why didn't we listen to him? Its not like he's made a career out of writing articles that dismiss anything that stops this country being britians younger, poorer & slightly retarded brother, as bad for Ireland.

Well here you go Fint-Dawg, suck on this

X-Factor-2009-John-and-Ed-001.jpg

Come on john & Edward, do it for Ireland, do it for Bertie but most of all, do it make fint-dawg cry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

ragg, if you're not part of the solution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Do you think the irony that it was that same Celtic Tiger and the bloated corpsy remnants that allows Mr O'Toole to be paid for writing pointless ****e on the interwebs is lost on him?

The article I started to read- God knows why- by this clown today is the piss-weakest drivel I may ever have witnessed anyone make a living from. I struggle to find terms strong enough that would pass filter but is there anyone still reading this self-congratulatory wittering fool at this stage?

He makes David McWilliams look like Socrates, which is impressive in a way I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The article I started to read- God knows why- by this clown today is the piss-weakest drivel I may ever have witnessed anyone make a living from. I struggle to find terms strong enough that would pass filter but is there anyone still reading this self-congratulatory wittering fool at this stage?

He makes David McWilliams look like Socrates, which is impressive in a way I guess.

Just as impressive as your ability to necro raise a thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Wow. Old thread is old. Looks like nobody cared since 2009 mate :p I will humour you and go read the offending article though. Shame you didn't provide a link but I'm sure I'll find it.

Edit: Ok, granted it's not brilliant, nor is it original. But I feel for anyone welcoming back a son or daughter just for the holiday season, before waving bye bye at the airport again. My eldest only went to college this year so this is my first experience of the lift I'm feeling with having him home again, and the thought that it's not for long does not appeal (till I've shouted at him to get the fcuk out of bed, it's 3 in the afternoon for a week.....). C'est la vie though, hey? Would of course be worse if he was in Oz, and seeing as he's been gearing up to go there since he was 14, that looks like something that could happen. Not like we're an unusual country this way though.....most small countries/populations must struggle to support their own youth and watch them going "elsewhere".

Fair cops both.. Wasnt sure if best to start a new one or not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

I'd imagine that anyone who can find fault with Fintan's article is probably the sort of mouth breathing troglodyte who texts in "votes" for these cretins every week.

How on earth is loathing vulgarity the mark of a "self hating Irishman"?

Yeah yeah -but what about his name?? Only bettered by Jessie Mcgee.

Advertisement