Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rorymurphy

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I remember your grandfather in the shop too, a true gentleman like your dad. Are you the red headed young lad who last ran the shop?

I am that red headed chap. I had a ginger brother too-He still lives in Greystonesm but I was the youngest of the bunch.
    Young lad no more though.
    I will be in for a culture shock when I go back home next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Very sorry to hear of the death of long time Greystones resident Ned Doyle last week, lots of fond memories of him.
    In his younger days he was a postman in the town and helped behind the bar in Collie Deveraux's pub in the Willow Grove to which he used to walk from his home in Brigid's Park. We often would come across him near the 'Dogs Gates ' in Delgany and give him a lift the rest of the way, one way of making sure there was no wait at the bar for a pint!
    A man with a strong opinion on just about everything, he loved to spent a fine evening with friends old and young at the old harbour....when it was a place for everyone..
    But his real pride and joy was his immaculate house and garden, all and sundry were supplied with top class veg and he took particular pride in his ability to grow a 'decent spud' , way better than what's found in local supermarkets..
    Another broken link with 'old Greystones' , May he rest in peace..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lewis everard

Hi i went to St Kevins School in Greystone around 1952. Anyone here remember me Lewis Everard??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi i went to St Kevins School in Greystone around 1952. Anyone here remember me Lewis Everard??

Can you remember names of any of your classmates, maybe I could check if some are still living in Greystones. They may not use Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Can you remember names of any of your classmates, maybe I could check if some are still living in Greystones. They may not use Boards.

Was '52 after your schooldays PBJ ? ;)

• Advertisement

eigrod wrote: »
    Was '52 after your schooldays PBJ ? ;)
    I started in St. Kevin's in '58/'59 after spending 3 years in St. Brigids, Greystones. :eek: 1950 was a great year for Ireland :D:D:P

16138186145_d3a9173bdd_c.jpgCBS Band Photo in the 50s by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    Lewis, did you live in what was the old schoolhouse opposite the top of the Church Lane, There used to be a shop there after the school?
    Do you recognise anyone in this photo above?
    Do you remember Charlie O'Reilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

A very interesting piece on the John Murray show earlier this week about a Greystones/North Wicklow character that will be familiar to many people, not least commuters - Gordon Cochran. His sister, Ruth Chipperfield, has written a book about him.

Podcast here : http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_thejohnmurrayshow.xml

Book cover with his familiar face : http://wicklowvoice.ie/gordon-business-usual/

Didn't know much about him, only from seeing him around the train stations and on the DART over the years, until I heard the above piece.

14921094434_43eb52a5e0_c.jpgFrank by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    The late Frank Doyle, Greystones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    We often would come across him near the 'Dogs Gates ' in Delgany and give him a lift the rest of the way, one way of making sure there was no wait at the bar for a pint!
    That was a long enough walk to the Grove Bar. Where is/was "the Dogs Gates" ?

• Advertisement

The Dog's Gates is the entrance to Delgany Golf Club, rumour has it that it is a haunted place :eek:

The original entrance to the Latouche Bellevue estate. Presumably got the name 'Dogs gates' many years ago because of the lioness on each gate pillar, I suppose first impressions from a distance they would look like dogs and anyway 'Lioness's gates' is more of a mouthful !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They are panthers actually. Or leopards in modern parlance. The story goes that one of the la Touche family was doing a stint of military service out in India, and brought back a stuffed panther from his travels. Then for a prank, he mounted it in the Octagon tea house, on a spring behind a door, such that it jumped out at unwary guests. Then subsequently the panthers became a bit of a family emblem.
    The golf club probably should have stuck with the same theme afterwards, instead of picking the goat emblem.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Can anyone remember what the name of the little shop was in Delgany just up from the Church of Ireland heading towards the centre of the village please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

Huntthe wrote: »
    Can anyone remember what the name of the little shop was in Delgany just up from the Church of Ireland heading towards the centre of the village please ?

Ludlow (Post Office + shop)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

That's the one thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

A nice view looking up Church Road from 1980 on the RTE Online Stills Archive.

There's some nice ones of the Harbour from around 1979 there too, have a peruse.

RTE Online Stills Archive - Greystones.

What a great pic... I Suppose turning the clock back is not an option? :)

What a great pic... I Suppose turning the clock back is not an option? :)
    O yes, morning coffee in the Bonne Bouche and fill the Morris Minor at Watson & Johnstons.

Wasn't it the Copper Kettle round then? And sure isn't 'morning coffee' a recent invention? I do remember sitting in there on a wet Sat afternoon over a coffee though, till we were told to get lost....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Wasn't it the Copper Kettle round then? And sure isn't 'morning coffee' a recent invention? I do remember sitting in there on a wet Sat afternoon over a coffee though, till we were told to get lost....

customer service 1980s style - also practised in La Touche (the shop) and Murphy's newsagent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Wasn't it the Copper Kettle round then?

I recall going into the Copper Kettle and being amused to see a sign offering a fixed price "3 Coarse" [sic] menu. Then, having eaten their grub, I concluded the spelling must have been deliberate . . .

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I recall going into the Copper Kettle and being amused to see a sign offering a fixed price "3 Coarse" [sic] menu. Then, having eaten their grub, I concluded the spelling must have been deliberate . . .

Aww that must have been when it was open to the "general public", would never have happened in Finnegan's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kellyjm21

Does anyone know what happened to the Riddall family (Linda and mother) of Killincarrig area?

kellyjm21 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened to the Riddall family (Linda and mother) of Killincarrig area?

Could this be who you are looking for?
    Linda Riddall
    HR Manager at Duncan Lawrie (IoM) Limited
    London, United KingdomFinancial Services
    Current
    Duncan Lawrie (IoM) Limited
    Education
    Wesley College, Dundrum, Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kellyjm21

indeed , many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jd50

pxbyjohn wrote: »
    Darcys of Windgates were pig dealers really. They would go to athe markets and buy then hold them for a short time and sell them on again . I think they actually were buying to order for regular customers. Yes they sold cabbage plants too and had the locals pulling plants during season.
    O I remember Joe Murphy very well and his sister Mary and brother Frank. Joe was often summoned to Bray court because his cattle caused some people annoyance by going in on their beautiful manicured gardens, if he was fined half a crown or 5 shillings he would always comment that he had the cheapest grazing in Ireland, cos as you say his cattle grazed on the sides of the roads around the area. The downside to that was during the season the milk would taste of garlic.

Anyone remember there being a clothes shop in the loft building up at darcys piggery in wind gates? Would love to hear more memories or see photos of that farm when it was Tom darcys.

Jd50 wrote: »
    Anyone remember there being a clothes shop in the loft building up at darcys piggery in wind gates? Would love to hear more memories or see photos of that farm when it was Tom darcys.

Yes I remember that shop, I think it was run by a grand daughter of Tom & Helen Darcy if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I remember pre-Lautrex drinks in The Den to the left to the main entrance to the la Touche.

I remember getting my hair "cut" by Frank Clarke for 5 Punts. (It didn't matter what you asked for, everyone got the same haircut)

I remember when the Delgany Inn used to be THE place to be

I remember Video World being one of the first outlets to rent video games - They used to do Sega Master System games for 2 pounds a night

And most importantly, I remember when the entire theme tune to "Cheers" also applied to Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Moved to Greystones from Rathfarnham with my family in the summer of 79, I was 12 at the time so it was a huge change for me.
    Reading through some of the other posts has brought back good memories and got me thinking about the good times I had during the 80s and the early 90s, I myself moved into Dublin in 91 but still have family there. don't visit much but when I do I am always amazed at how the place has changed.
    The things I remember are
    All shops closed at 6pm until the Shopping basket opened
    The tennis club opposite the La Touche Hotel had a sign that said "Whites Only"
    The summer festivals of the 80s especially the Caribbean steel drum band playing off the back of a truck trailer.
    The Burnaby on a Sunday afternoon listening to the two guitar players (Woods was one if not both their names) doing covers of Pink Floyd.
    The woodlands on Friday and Saturday night before Cabannas with Leo(I think) on Friday and the soul band on Saturday.
    Cabannas nite club and the trip to Bray after to Henry n Roses.
    I think it was Evans birthday parties on the South Beach during the summer
    Somebody mentioned Dessie Redmond, I remember talking to him on that night and getting up the next day to hear the sad news.
    I didn't go to school in Greystones so I had to catch the 7:30 or the 8:05, I think it was the 8:05 train that crashed between Killiney and Dalkey in 1980.

Advertisement