Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Met Sandra last year, first time for a long long time, the years have been kind..:D

Pixby, you'll remember 'Frosty' B from Gratten Park, (don't want to use people's full names if I can help it, they might not appreciate seeing themselves in here, though the chances are slim seeing as so few know about this forum..) any way Ken went with (dated?!) his sister for a while and at the time he had aTrials motorbike, single seat, no passenger footrests and high level exhaust. I can still see them setting off for the rugby club dance, herself in her finery sitting on a rolled up coat on the mudguard with legs all over the place to avoid the exhaust and Ken's battered blue crash helmet on her carefully arranged hair.... True love, ye can't beat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Yes I remember Frosty well and his 4 sisters, wonder where he is now? His Dad was nicknamed Kodak (worked for that company).
    Sandra Dey married Robin P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

FirstIn wrote: »
    That's correct. There was definitely a northern irish rail train doing the shuttling at one time.

And before the Northern Ireland Railways railcar there was "The Shuttle" which operated from the opening of the DART in 1984. Sorry for the poor pics in the accompanying article but the top one tells you all you need to know about the state of the train. :D

SHUTTLE+004.JPG

A bit more here: http://irishrailways.blogspot.ie/2009/08/greystones-shuttle-25.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

And before the Northern Ireland Railways railcar there was "The Shuttle" which operated from the opening of the DART in 1984. Sorry for the poor pics in the accompanying article but the top one tells you all you need to know about the state of the train. :D

SHUTTLE+004.JPG

A bit more here: http://irishrailways.blogspot.ie/2009/08/greystones-shuttle-25.html

I remember getting the scuttle to Bray and as it was pulling into the bay platform we'd open the doors and do a running jump (often followed by a crashing fall).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

loyatemu wrote: »
    I remember getting the scuttle to Bray and as it was pulling into the bay platform we'd open the doors and do a running jump (often followed by a crashing fall).

We used to do the same as well as when it pulled into Greystones. Seem to recall a while back someone dying or having a serious injury doing this - long after I had stopped using it but I remember being shocked at the time.

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Yes I remember Frosty well and his 4 sisters, wonder where he is now? His Dad was nicknamed Kodak (worked for that company).
    Sandra Dey married Robin P.

She did indeed, a bit of a character....bought my first welder from him over thirty five years ago, lasted till last year when it went bang, literally ...spectacular ..a bit like the flight deck exploding on the Starship Enterprise ..

For those who might have known them, the Dey family went to Canada years ago, Mr and Mrs and four sons, Ken who was already there, Graham, Stewart and Mark, the other three stayed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Reading through this thread having moved here in 2002.

Have to say, I much prefer old Greystones by the sounds of it. I do feel it's lost its soul over the years. The lack of pubs, the numerous coffee shops, lack of youth facilities, the loss of our harbour.

Money talks at the end of the day I guess, I'd give my left hand to have Pat Flynns back, and Club Life. There is nothing to do for young people in this town.

"Lost its soul", I'd be inclined to agree.. The terrific place I grew up in is light years from the large town Greystones is now, complete with traffic congestion and , to me and some of those I grew up with, a very impersonal air.

My wife, when she moved here over thirty five years ago particularly loved the fact the town had a mainly residential Main Street where everybody knew one another, now of course a distant memory .

I have lived and worked in and around Greystones all my life and find it difficult to have the same affection for what it had now become,

But having said all that, things constantly change and one has to recognize that to a new generation and new residents Greystones is a great place to live with a very vibrant feel, there are new projects in the air, for instance I believe the Byrnes have plans for the Beach House, when the harbour is finished that corner of the town will come into its own.

Anyway I'm just an old fart with a permanent pair of rose tinted glasses in my pocket but I'm very grateful I had the opportunity to experience this town at arguably it's best...

Greystones has changed a lot over the years definitely. Most changes are for the good I believe.
    There are so many sports facilities and various clubs now. Excellent schools in the area. Supermarkets that support hundreds of jobs in the area. All the restaurants and coffee shops also give employment. 6 pharmacies, at least 4 medical centres with numerous doctors and nurses. Lots of new houses and residents who add to the area in a very positive way. The dart is a great advantage to Greystones.
    Greystones still has a heart and soul in my opinion.
    When people complain about a lack of facilities for youth could they list what facility they want that isn't already in the area.
    OK we don't have a cinema or a hotel but would they be viable now?
    I think Greystones is a very nice area to live in. ( I am biased of course since I have lived here since I was born 64 years ago)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Put back the Cinema, the La Touche Hotel and the old harbour and I'd agree with you. Anyway, you've brightened up my day by revealing that there's somebody on Boards even older than me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

I agree on the whole, it's a lovely town.

Bring back a cinema, a nightclub, a couple more pubs, a cheap cafe that does breakfast, the 84 heading to town every half hour, a subway, a hardware shop, and of course, our harbour back, and it'd wouldn't be less then the perfect town tbh.

Don't forget to support Gallagher's Hardware shop at the bottom of Applewood Heights where the abattoir used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Don't forget to support Gallagher's Hardware shop at the bottom of Applewood Heights where the abattoir used to be.

And Brady's hardware shop which has operated from that site for as long as anybody here can remember!

letape wrote: »
    And Brady's hardware shop which has operated from that site for as long as anybody here can remember!

I remember when Brady's was a forge and then Jim Hayden had a panel beating workshop there and after that Brady's ran a hardware from it before the new hardware shop was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I remember when Brady's was a forge and then Jim Hayden had a panel beating workshop there and after that Brady's ran a hardware from it before the new hardware shop was built.

Ah but do you remember the hire shop up on top of Flynn's...

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Didn't Stephen Browett run that. As in the lawn mower guy (and fine fisherman) on the left as you head to the Meridian shopping complex.

Didn't Stephen Browett run that. As in the lawn mower guy (and fine fisherman) on the left as you head to the Meridian shopping complex.

He did indeed. And before John Flynn built the supermarket there was a grocery shop there first owned by John Brady senior and his wife. They sold it on to another family before John Flynn bought it and converted it to a supermarket in piecemeal fashion over a number of years. Vincent Kelly ran the butcher's stall at the back of the shop for a number of years before moving into what is now Bochellis.

And before 'Even' Stephen the late Sammy Ward had a carpentry machine shop up there, made all the windows and front door for my house in teak for £1000 :) Can anyone name the group/band Sammy played sax in ? late sixties I think...

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    And before 'Even' Stephen the late Sammy Ward had a carpentry machine shop up there, made all the windows and front door for my house in teak for £1000 :) Can anyone name the group/band Sammy played sax in ? late sixties I think...

Was it "Village People"? With the Kavanagh brothers from Blacklion

Very good, that jogged the memory..it was 'This Village' with Noel and Mick Kavanagh, with at least one more but would have to trawl through Derek Paine's books to find out ..

Here's another couple for ye, where was John Brady's first forge before he bought the field that is now home to the hardware shop and the family houses? I'm a little older than you John and I barely remember it..

Who was the Wards neighbour who also played in a band? This time a 'big band'..

And what type of building occupied what was then 'the bog' across the road from Wards, where the school, health centre and bridge club now sit?

• Advertisement

Very good, that jogged the memory..it was 'This Village' with Noel and Mick Kavanagh, with at least one more but would have to trawl through Derek Paine's books to find out ..

Here's another couple for ye, where was John Brady's first forge before he bought the field that is now home to the hardware shop and the family houses? I'm a little older than you John and I barely remember it..

Who was the Wards neighbour who also played in a band? This time a 'big band'..

And what type of building occupied what was then 'the bog' across the road from Wards, where the school, health centre and bridge club now sit?

Patsy Greene played in the Circus band.
    Stumped now with where Brady's Forge was and what building was in the Bog
    I am just using my memory and maybe it was before my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Yes I remember the cinema in full swing, Monday and Tuesday nights had the same programmes as had Wednesday and Thursday nights . Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights had different programs. there was a matinee on Sunday afternoons. Paddy Salmon of Killincarrig was the Manager of the Ormonde.
    The Vet beside Hills garage and now where Supervalue is now was Mr. Ross Buckley who now lives in Killincarrig beside the Hairdressing salon.
    I remember when the Ormonde had a fund raising Concert for the Scouts and it was packed out. The Dubliners played there that night.

My gosh, I remember that!! It was a terrific night! Iirc, The Dubliners did not come
    in until they were finished a gig in Dublin. They still played on for at least an hour.
    I was converted to them that night!! Tina from The Mexicans?? was also there that
    night. She was a local girl. I don't live in Greystones anymore, but just happened
    on this thread and am really enjoying it!! Used to love the shows put on by the
    GODS!! (Greystones Operatic and Dramatic Society) The performances every year
    alternated between St. Kilian's and St. Patrick's Halls.

There used to be foundations in that bog I remember now, I think Gaughan & Mc Nulty built the bungalows along by the Scout Den up to the nursing home and maybe didn't finalise any houses opposite Smullens,Wards,Sammons,Greenes, Doyles,Dalys, Sweeneys Byrnes.
    Watson & Johnson under the name of "The Greystones Motor Company" built the filling station on the corner where the Shop and petrol station is now.

John Quinn who is still living in Greystones was the other member of "The Village" his 3 sons run the 3 Qs restaurant on Greystones main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

And that same Brother O'Faherty had us lined up after lunch in 'The Big Yard' ....a couple of prayers and then....a seagull flew in from out of nowhere and **** all down his right arm,all of the top part of his arm was destroyed...Dara Flemming started laughing first...and ten 120 young lads had their moment.....as if God was giving us all a laugh...it was our moment...remember it as clear as day...I think Dara got the leather for laughing first.....Square Head we used to call the Brother O'Faherty......

..and Master Barry,when he used to pick his nose and roll it in cellotape and then flick it on the round table during class.....or when he was teaching us how to hurl....he used to pick his nose before showing you how to hold the hurly,your hurley :)

Brother Horgan teaching us how to play the tin whistle,trips to The Gaeltacht,magic....

Duncan McNiff teaching us how to make copper bombs at Halloween.....getting all the ingredients in Roches Chemist....

The Rugby Club Disco's...when Vincent kept a gap between yourself and the girl you were dancin' with....working down the kitchens with Margaret....what a lady,and Mrs Lennon,another lady.....preparing meals for 40 hungry rugby players....some laughs....

The St David's School discos......bettter not go there!...oh we ent alright.....and the Valarie Lynch would look at you...nice 1 Jay.....

borrowing apples from O'Callahans orchard at the bottom of la Touche Park.....

John Flynn the legend,Swanner,Mr. Mead....

to be continued.......

I remember hearing of that incident of Brother O'Flaherty and the seagull.
    Apparently, his comment to the other teachers was: 'Isn't it a good job cows
    don't fly!!' :)

Patsy Greene played in the Circus band.
    Stumped now with where Brady's Forge was and what building was in the Bog
    I am just using my memory and maybe it was before my time.

It was indeed Patsy Green, fond memories of him, I used to service his Howard rotovator and every now and again would get an invite to sample his different varieties of homemade wine, each one more potent than the last...

John Brady's forge was down a short lane way beside Earnest B Wilson's auction rooms on Hillside road where the hairdressers and dress shop are now..

There used to be a nissen (Nissan?) hut on the bog, no idea why it was there or what it was for though have a vague memory of building materials stored in it..

John Quinn who is still living in Greystones was the other member of "The Village" his 3 sons run the 3 Qs restaurant on Greystones main street.

Indeed, and wasn't John the last projectionist in the Ormonde? His wife Jackie bakes the best cakes this side of anywhere..

I think you are right that Gaughan and McNulty built those houses and didn't Frank Gaughan and his wife own Castle Clare at one time, I remember them living in the gate lodge..

Funny, I have no recollection who built the filling station, the first occupant I remember was the late John Johnson, brother of Harry in Newcastle, John sold up and left to farm in Wales and I think it was then Pascal Keogh took over..

14921094434_43eb52a5e0_c.jpgFrank by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rorymurphy

sagat wrote: »
    Reading this board for a number of months from the shadows, interesting to see a lot of the activity is coming from new residents but surely there must be a number of us floating around who remember the Greystones of old. Lets reminisce about the days gone. Hands up if you remember:

Buying the paper at Murphy's
    Groceries at O'Donohues
    Watching Pieter Muller play rugby for Greystones
    The Golf Club burning
    The Woodlands for that matter
    Waiting for somebody to return a flick you want to see to Video World
    When you could buy a record on that same block
    The knitting shop before the pet store
    Queueing 3 maybe 4 hours to see Batman at the Ormonde cinema.
    Quinnsworth selling make your own Pizza's and the entire town eating them
    Remington Steele filming Taffin at Brady's hardware
    The Cherry Blossom was the height of exotic cuisine
    Buying Friday's dinner from the fish factory
    When the shuttle to Bray was more regular and reliable than the Dart today
    When Eugenes was Eugenes
    Getting nothing but petrol from the Esso station besides the complimentary check of your water and oil
    The backwards clock in Jokers
    Lautrex succeeding Cabannas
    Evans Hardware
    When the summer festival included outdoor concerts at the harbour
    When you couldn't as much as fart in the town without everyone knowing about it.
    Sweeneys amusements getting a fancy makeover only to look like the same old kip merely a month later
    Street Fighter 2 at same amusements
    Walking home from Bary after missing the last bus along the cliff walk or train tracks if you were brave(stupid) enough
    The diving board and raft on the south beach
    When the rocks on same beach looked like mountains
    The LaTouche hotel in its glory
    The LaTouch shop in its glory, toys, sweets, C64 games
    Butcher Shops
    Practice wall at the old tennis club
    The original Copper Kettle
    Pitch and Put where there is now park and Ride
    Some funny American game in the park by the Burnaby
    ...and so much more.

So lets hear about the times, places and characters that marked the Greystones of old. Pictures would be the icing if anyone has old ones. As for you blow-ins, keep reading as you may be amazed and amused with what your new home was once like.
    sagat2 wrote: »
    Fond memories as a kid of running down to Paddy's to grab my copy of the Beano / Dandy as held for me behind the counter on my mothers instructions. Waiting patiently as the old characters were lining up and chatting away the smell in there was simply incredible.

Sad to hear Frank Clarke has passed. I suppose Mooney's and Ireton are now the only remaining relics of the old Greystones I grew up with, Along with the pharmacy (McGleenans is it called?) everything else has been moved, rebuilt, renamed, etc.

Nice to see Paddy Murphy (my father) getting mentioned on this thread.
    Very interesting to read about all the old memories that we have. I haven't been in Greystones in several years now, I will have to make a trip back soon.

• Advertisement

rorymurphy wrote: »
    Nice to see Paddy Murphy (my father) getting mentioned on this thread.
    Very interesting to read about all the old memories that we have. I haven't been in Greystones in several years now, I will have to make a trip back soon.
    I remember your grandfather in the shop too, a true gentleman like your dad. Are you the red headed young lad who last ran the shop?

Advertisement