Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas caroling every day with money pots

Options
  • 21-12-2015 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Firstly I love Christmas. I love Christmas carols but everyday my door gets knocked after 7pm 8pm by different kids each time with a parent standing outside my house on the path. They seem to be romanian I think.

I don't mind so much but the keep singing till you give them something. Which i have done once.I have started to close the door now I feel terrible but I can't hand money everyday of the week to someone.

I have never experienced this before this is my first year living here just wondering does anyone else have this. I don't want my kids to see people taking advantage of the kindness of others at Christmas. I feel this is what is happening. I am actually trying not to answer now very hard with the kids running to it when they knock.

Am I been totally rude telling them I don't have time and closing the door . I've 3 kids that go to bed at the time they knock.

Am I been a big fat GRINCH.....

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've never seen anything like that where I live.
    I've heard of scams before where someone breaks into the back of your house while carollers sing out front, so carollers calling would probably make me suspicious.

But I never answer my door if I'm not expecting someone, so it wouldn't be an issue for me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mckar

Posy wrote: »
    I've never seen anything like that where I live.
    I've heard of scams before where someone breaks into the back of your house while carollers sing out front, so carollers calling would probably make me suspicious.

But I never answer my door if I'm not expecting someone, so it wouldn't be an issue for me! :pac:

That's actually never occurred to me once my oh works from home alot so I'm generally not alone with the kids at that time anyway but I will definitely keep that in mind.

Today the door got opened and shut again.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Some tweens called to my parents door caroling and looking for money "cool," says I, "which charity are ye collecting for?"

Turns out they weren't collecting for charity at all (I'd sorta guessed) but I played dumb and got them to practically spell out that they were just looking for some extra cash. Call me a Grinch, but I enjoyed making them squirm. Cheeky little gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Find the switch for the bell that turns it off so your children aren't disturbed in their sleep.

This is clearly a scam and I certainly wouldn't be financing it.

Merry Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

me sorry. Closes door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Never had Caroling outside my door :-( I would like some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Toots wrote: »
    Some tweens called to my parents door caroling and looking for money "cool," says I, "which charity are ye collecting for?"

Turns out they weren't collecting for charity at all (I'd sorta guessed) but I played dumb and got them to practically spell out that they were just looking for some extra cash. Call me a Grinch, but I enjoyed making them squirm. Cheeky little gits.

good one.
    I had this a few years ago, got caught out, parent was halfway up the drive, turns out later the little blighters were firing rubbish around the road and up to no good.
    I never thought of that, if they turn up I'll be asking what charity myself? I've had to avail of actual charity in the form of cheap/free clothes, so they can go and fcuk off if they appear around here again.
    As I recal years ago, money wasn't on offer or expected for this years ago? I think my mother gave out small pieces of cake, maybe that was to placate the scum though, as we didn't have money to be throwing around either.
    Find the switch for the bell that turns it off so your children aren't disturbed in their sleep.

This is clearly a scam and I certainly wouldn't be financing it.

Merry Xmas.

Isnt usually a switch, but its low voltage, so if you disconnect the wiring at the side of the bell that should do the job, mines been disconnected for years.
    Gaygooner wrote: »
    me sorry. Closes door.

Why be sorry? or at least why say sorry.
    I'm sure there must be a good reply that will have them running, maybe some theological questions? or an invite to join your religion?

Advertisement