Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does Santa bring all the presents from everyone at xmas

Options
  • 16-12-2015 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Having a debate with the other half our eldest Is 3. As my partner grew up with santa bringing all the presents from everyone for xmas including friends and family. I have never heard of this to me Santa bring some on xmas day and we all give each other presents from nanny uncles and so on. So I'm curious what other people's opinions are on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

I've never heard of that. We got 1 thing from Santy and the rest was from different family members. As we got older the biggest present was always from our parents and Santy just brought a book or small toy, which was quite clever in hindsight!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Yeah some from sandy some from mammy ( even though she has to pay sandy for the ones he brings) the individual presents from all aunties and uncles*.

** well for the kids the aunties and uncles just give X amount each, then divided between kids and they choose what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

mckar wrote: »
    Having a debate with the other half our eldest Is 3. As he grew up with santa bringing all the presents from everyone for xmas. I have never heard of this to me Santa bring some and we all give each other presents from nanny uncles and so on. So I'm curious what other people's opinions are on this.

Santa brings gifts for the kids which they open in the small hours of Christmas morning.

Later on in the day, after my mother has put in the turkey usually the family sit down together, everyone over the age of 18 with a glass of something, in the living room and open the rest of the presents which they have given each other.

"As he grew up..". No offence but he's 3. He's hasn't grown up yet, and probably barely remembers last year and is fuzzy on the year before. Its not like he's 13 with 11 years of memories and tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mckar

syklops wrote: »
    Santa brings gifts for the kids which they open in the small hours of Christmas morning.

Later on in the day, after my mother has put in the turkey usually the family sit down together, everyone over the age of 18 with a glass of something, in the living room and open the rest of the presents which they have given each

"As he grew up..". No offence but he's 3. He's hasn't grown up yet, and probably barely remembers last year and is fuzzy on the year before. Its not like he's 13 with 11 years of memories and tradition.

It's my other half that has this tradition not my son he's not got a clue yet we just want to get it straight before he does have a clue. So never realised we did things differently till now. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

It's my other half that has this tradition not my son he's not got a clue yet we just want to get it straight before he does have a clue. So never realised we did things differently till now. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

Well then no offence but your other half is wrong. No, scratch that. There is no right way. Every family evolve their own traditions, they happen over time. Some families fall into similar traditions, but some people do things quite differently. My cousins in Wales go to the pub on Christmas day afternoon, something we never do.

There was a video clip from Republic of Telly I watched recently which had the father pouring branding into himself and then trying to put together a pink toy kitchen. My dad wouldnt be a massive drinker but the year my sister wanted a kitchen, my parents finished off a bottle of whiskey and then realised they had to retrieve the kitchen from the attic, and then opened it to discover it was disassembled and needed stickers put on. Somehow they accomplished the task. I was told the story years later.

In our flat, me and the other half, we don't decorate because our flat is tiny, and considering we dont have space for the flippin hoover, we certainly dont have space to store Xmas decorations for 11 and a half months of the year. We probably will decorate when we get our own house. Also we have never spent a christmas at "home".

I like having the Santa gifts and everyone elses gifts being separate because when the kids hit 12-13 and Santa is no longer in the picture, you still have the gift giving part of the day, and as you get older it becomes more fun to give gifts than get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I got presents from Santa and also from the rest of the family.

Santa bringing everything would be quite strange in my view, because usually the children will want to give something to their siblings and parents, and it wouldn't really be fair for the kids to give the parents presents if the parents didn't give the kids any...

DivingDuck wrote: »
    I got presents from Santa and also from the rest of the family.

Santa bringing everything would be quite strange in my view, because usually the children will want to give something to their siblings and parents, and it wouldn't really be fair for the kids to give the parents presents if the parents didn't give the kids any...

We were poor for much of my childhood. There was one year we got Xmas gifts from our parents and from Santa. Most years, it was just from Santa. That should have had alarm bells ringing, back when i was a precocious, suspicious 6 year old, but it didn't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

We only ever got a book from my parents at Christmas while Santa brought everything else. As we got older we started buying each other and our parents presents too.

It's the part about presents from nanny and uncles and friends I can't understand how to explain how Santa gave them to give to the kids he says that they ask Santa for gifts for everyone. I don't know how to explain that they have been under the tree for weeks in advance but Nanny dropped them up from Santa. It really just doesn't work as well in my eyes, as alot easier to put 2 and 2 together in later years.

It really just doesn't work as well in my eyes, as alot easier to put 2 and 2 together in later years.

Also, if you have any stickler-for-etiquette relatives who wouldn't appreciate their gifts being attributed to the man in red, it will pose problems when your son doesn't thank them because in his eyes the presents were from Santa.

• Advertisement

It's the part about presents from nanny and uncles and friends I can't understand how to explain how Santa gave them to give to the kids he says that they ask Santa for gifts for everyone. I don't know how to explain that they have been under the tree for weeks in advance but Nanny dropped them up from Santa. It really just doesn't work as well in my eyes, as alot easier to put 2 and 2 together in later years.

What?

Auntie Mary left a gift for little timmy under the tree. Little timmy wrapped a gift for Mammy and left it under the tree. Timmy wrote to santa and asked for a train set, and Santa left it under the tree or in his bedroom or the living room, on christmas morning.

Santa brings gifts for the kids. Everyone else give gifts to everyone else and some people give gifts to the child for christmas.

Also, if you have any stickler-for-etiquette relatives who wouldn't appreciate their gifts being attributed to the man in red, it will pose problems when your son doesn't thank them because in his eyes the presents were from Santa.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Are there any such people in your family? Have you raised this concern with your partner?

I think it's a mad way of doing things, personally, for both the child's reasoning skills as you mentioned, and for the practical reasons I gave in my last post. If it worked out for his family, great, but unless the entire family is "in" on this tradition, it's really only going to cause problems.

Forget stickler for etiquette types, it doesnt make any sense. Child picks up a gift with a card on it going "To Little Timmy, from Auntie Mary", how did Santa bring that?

OP, your OH's way of doing things is mad.

Are there any such people in your family? Have you raised this concern with your partner?

I think it's a mad way of doing things, personally, for both the child's reasoning skills as you mentioned, and for the practical reasons I gave in my last post. If it worked out for his family, great, but unless the entire family is "in" on this tradition, it's really only going to cause problems.

I'm pretty sure my family would be ok with anything I ask even if they felt it a bit but what if his friends say did you like what I got you in such n such a shop with my mammy for xmas. I mean surely they would be realising alot younger what's happening.

syklops wrote: »
    Forget stickler for etiquette types, it doesnt make any sense. Child picks up a gift with a card on it going "To Little Timmy, from Auntie Mary", how did Santa bring that?

OP, your OH's way of doing things is mad.

You're not wrong, but sense/logic isn't going to hold any water with someone who's convinced that their tradition is important and needs to be respected. History has taught us this.

On the other hand, "Please don't enforce this, because if you do my Uncle Billy and Granny Jones are going to tell everyone that we're raising an ungrateful brat and we'll never hear the end of it from my Mum" is likely to be a lot more effective.

I was actually beggining to think mabe others did this and I just never knew about it. Well obviously they do as my partner does but he's never heard if it been done the way I grew up so got me wondering what other people's recollection of growing up was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Well with us my mother's presents were santys, we never questioned it and were just delighted with what we got. Friends and family just gave presents to us.
    It's the simplest thing in the long run as some people give presents days after Christmas for various reasons. It just seems like hassle and strange to me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Moved from the Nocturnal Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Yes we used to do that when kids were small as well ( aunts grandparents wrote to santa to ask him to bring XYZ to ABC)
    these were then put under the tree same time as all other Santa presents.
    Tell your OH his family not the only strange ones so:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'd probably be a little put out with this to be honest. If I'm buying presents for your kid I want the glory goddamnit! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Never heard of your OHs way before! Bit strange and awkward for all the reasons mentioned.

Growing up in our house, stockings were left beside the bed and filled 'magically' during the night. This was a ploy to keep us in bed until after 6am

Only santa brought presents from himself. We got 2 requests and a surprise. My parents never gave us anything at christmas. When we questioned that, we were told we got enough from santa and we didn't need any more. Made sense to us! Others got less from santa and more from their parents.

Relatives brought gifts (or didn't sometimes!) when they visited.

Your oh way would get complicated for example if the family were large like my mums side. When we were little, everyone bought for everyone. But it got expensive as more grandchildren were born. 20 total, and 8 great grand children. Then They all decided to only buy for God children. How would you explain that if santa brings them all? Or if you didn't see someone before xmas to get the present from them in time? Or they didn't buy one at all? If santa brings them all they all have to be there every single year. Could get difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Nope never heard of this either... We Santa gifts were Santa gifts and the others were like the others

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That sounds crazy to me,
    Santa bring the kids presents and a family present or something small for mammy and daddy and anyone else in the house.
    Then everyone else gives the kids their presents themselves or they are under the tree for after santa presents christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I'd probably be a little put out with this to be honest. If I'm buying presents for your kid I want the glory goddamnit! :p

Ah but you took the time to write to Santa for them:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How does it work where people give children presents and the children want to keep them under the tree until xmas morning? I think that's fairly normal. They shouldn't have to open them in front of the present giver just to give the present giver a look at their expression right??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Very strange. I've never heard it done like that at all. I've heard of lots of variations, like Santa wrapping presents in one house but not in the other, or kids getting presents from just Santa in one house or from Santa and the parents in another, but I've never heard of that way of doing things.

I like to make sure I buy the nieces and nephews presents that they really want and if their parents were telling them they were from Santa I wouldn't be happy at all.

vicwatson wrote: »
    How does it work where people give children presents and the children want to keep them under the tree until xmas morning? I think that's fairly normal. They shouldn't have to open them in front of the present giver just to give the present giver a look at their expression right??

Yes very normal we both have that tradition. I'm just not sure how u can explain nanny writing to Santa to get it and they all come at different times.

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Ah but you took the time to write to Santa for them:p

That's exactly what my partner said to me. But my problem is all my family drop up presents before xmas and after. Does Santa do the rounds for weeks in advance?

• Advertisement

That's exactly what my partner said to me. But my problem is all my family drop up presents before xmas and after. Does Santa do the rounds for weeks in advance?

Being a couple is about give and take blah-blah-blah. But your OH is just wrong on this particular issue and needs to be told this.

The child writes to Santa and asks santa for things. Assuming the requests arent too outlandish, Santa brings them. Easy.

As your kids grow up they will learn to say thank you to Auntie Mary for her gift of the hideous underwear they will never wear. Santa bringing that is just going to get confusing.

I had an aunt who used to give me fairly pathetic and sometimes unuseable gifts each year but it got supplemented with Ferrero Roche which is one of the few chocolates I eat. When I was 18 the I got a bottle of scotch as well. Being visibly appreciative of my gift over all those years was rewarded by me eventually getting something I could use(and drink). It was a life lesson of sorts.

Advertisement