Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda 'who lost her ambition due to PTSD awarded €75,000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Let us know how you feel after you get assaulted OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Let us know how you feel after you get assaulted OP

I wouldnt be looking for money tbh, just get the person behind bars that did it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Disingenuous thread title OP in fairness. It wasn't simply because she lost her ambition that she was awarded €75k damages and legal costs -

Awarding her €75,000 damages along with her legal costs and wishing her well for her future career, Judge Barton said Garda Sheehan suffered very severe injuries which had a profound effect on her physically and psychologically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Journal-level bait and switch headline work by OP.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Disingenuous thread title OP in fairness. It wasn't simply because she lost her ambition that she was awarded €75k damages and legal costs -

I've updated it to include PTSD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yeah I was thinking if she got that for just losing her ambition then I'm in for a windfall!

Serious assault resulting in severe injuries and PTSD, and the slant given is that she's getting cash for losing her ambition. Classy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Maybe we're not recruiting the right sort of people for the Gardai. Do they undertake psychological evaluation before joining? The figure also seems ridiculously high to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

"She said her behaviour she ended the therapy" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

broken nose is hardly a severe when you hear about some of the other stories guards have. I did martial arts for years and broke my nose a few times. It's a pain alright but wouldn't call it a severe injury.

One of the guys my dad worked with when he was a guard has a scar like Scar from the Lion king from some lad catching him with a knife when he was off his head on drugs. Nearly lost an eye! I'd rank that much higher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I wouldnt be looking for money tbh, just get the person behind bars that did it
    Yeah but how can you expect the Gardaí to put people behind the bars if they've got PTSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Bit of bull**** to be fair.

Joining the Gardai has a certain amount of danger to it. You shouldn't be allowed to sue for doing your job and the down sides that come with it.

The Gardai should be giving her free counseling and nothing more.

Can the employee who started working for Lidl as a cash register sue because they lost ambition for management due to dealing with ****ty customers all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Can the employee who started working for Lidl as a cash register sue because they lost ambition for management due to dealing with ****ty customers all day.

If one of those customers punches him or her in the face, resulting in an injury that required surgery and harmed their future promotion chances, then yes, definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Wilder Red Vinyl

Eh?

They are completely different scenarios. A cashier doesn't have to deal with criminals day to day. They might have to deal with a customer mouthing off every once in a while. It's called customer service and is part of their day to day job.

Gardaí deal with criminals. There is a certain danger due to the nature of the job ffs.

Edit: She also left counselling voluntarily. :rolleyes:

RayM wrote: »
    If one of those customers punches him or her in the face, resulting in an injury that required surgery and harmed their future promotion chances, then yes, definitely.

Bit of bull**** to be fair.

Joining the Gardai has a certain amount of danger to it. You shouldn't be allowed to sue for doing your job and the down sides that come with it.

The Gardai should be giving her free counseling and nothing more.

Yes they can. There's nothing to stop someone seeking damages for any reason. In this case the judge awarded damages and legal costs accordingly. Hopefully it might have AGS review their procedures to protect Gardaí in carrying out their duties without risk of being assaulted. No Garda should have to accept the risk of being assaulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Sets a really dangerous precedent surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Paulzx

wardides wrote: »
    Sets a really dangerous precedent surely?

What?..................that someone who gets assaulted and injured receives compensation?

I think that precedant has been set long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't know. On the one hand I feel sorry for her but on the other this does strike me as one of the risks of being a Gard. But obviously there are laws there that meant she was entitled to compensation so I'm not sure what the controversy is.
    "She said her behaviour she ended the therapy" :confused:

Yeah, I spotted that too. The Indo isn't exactly the best edited or written paper in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Gardaí deal with criminals. There is a certain danger due to the nature of the job ffs.

The fact that they deal with criminals doesn't mean that random assaults should be part and parcel of the job. The assault happened in the workplace and damaged her promotion chances. That alone justifies the compensation she received.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Hopefully it might have AGS review their procedures to protect Gardaí in carrying out their duties without risk of being assaulted. No Garda should have to accept the risk of being assaulted.

I don't see how they could realistically remove that risk given the nature of their work.
    Paulzx wrote: »
    What?..................that someone who gets assaulted and injured receives compensation?

I think that precedant has been set long ago

For Gards though?

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've updated it to include PTSD.

grand, wasn't sure if i could fit it all in title so shortened it and let users read main thread and look at link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Wilder Red Vinyl

As opposed to a non-random assault? :confused:

They are not part and parcel of the job but they do happen from time to time.

Customers are generally nice people. Criminals are not generally nice people. It's not rocket science.

Our Gardaí are already too soft and I would be worried that this sets a precedence for compensation claims left, right and centre.
    RayM wrote: »
    The fact that they deal with criminals doesn't mean that random assaults should be part and parcel of the job. The assault happened in the workplace and damaged her promotion chances. That alone justifies the compensation she received.

No one, doing any job should be in a position whereby being assaulted is a normal part of their job. Inherant risks are one thing but considering it acceptable is another.

That's like saying that we disregard all the rules and regulations brought in to ensure accidents don't happen on building sites because there's an expectation that builders should be injured or killed as a normal part of work in a dangerous environment.

Being a Guard means there is distinct possability that there can be dangers whilst on duty. It doesn't mean that the consequences of these dangers can just be written off as "part of the job" if there are long term affects

but she refused therapy and all to help her with this

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I don't see how they could realistically remove that risk given the nature of their work.

For Gards though?

Why? Are Guards lesser citizens of the state than the rest of us?

Earthhorse wrote: »

There are a number of ways they could remove the risk of their members being assaulted, they already implement many risk reduction procedures. It's only unfortunate that it takes cases like this to make them review procedures is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

Over 900 guards are currently suing for injuries.I think it's a bit of a cash cow for them to be honest.
    75k for a broken nose- what's wrong with 5k? With the size of the payouts the judge's dole out i can see why so many sue.
    I broke my arm playing ball years ago , maybe I should sue the guy that tackled me for 100k!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I want compo for reading the Indo.

but she refused therapy and all to help her with this

She didn't refuse therapy -

Hearing that Garda Sheehan had ended the therapy because she did not want to become dependent on it, Judge Barton said that, although she had made very good progress, she may need to attend some kind of lighter therapy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Does this not seem a bit rubbish to me...

I don't know, does it?

Advertisement