Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGregor vs Aldo---December 12th **Main card 3am. Conor v Aldo approx 5am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

And assuming Conor wins cause otherwise how the heck do you figure Conor to be above Jose..?

Well played sir, well played

That was the conversation what would happen IF Conor won, he is 7/8 places behind him at present ! I aint deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I would suggest something like this for p4p

1 Demetrious Johnson
    2 Chris Weidman
    3 Conor
    4 Jon Jones
    5 Jose Aldo

That is assuming Weidman wins.

I am assuming the above list is on the assumption that Conor wins on Saturday.

If he does win, I dont see him ending up at 3. He most likely will be 4. Jon jones is a beast man.. No way conor is better than him ( my opinion).

On the other hand if he looses he might go down to 13 or 14 from the 12 he currently sits on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Conor does although his breathing was quite heavy.

Aldos shaking hands:)

I meant in the embedded video, both messing around, relaxed and joking. The press conference was boring. Conor trying to be "unpredictable" to unsettle Aldo and Aldo trying too hard to pretend he doesn't want to rip McGregors head right off.

Fell flat imo

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

will they touch gloves at the opening bell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

shansey wrote: »

Conor said he will before the bell but not when the bell goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

shansey wrote: »

I would think so.

They have both said they will touch gloves and shake hands, beginning and end. No reason not to lads, behind the hype, the promotion and the animosity there is plenty of respect both ways I would bet.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

They have both said they will touch gloves and shake hands, beginning and end. No reason not to lads, behind the hype, the promotion and the animosity there is plenty of respect both ways I would bet.

conor wont touch after the bell rings itl be straight in his face piling on the pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

akelly02 wrote: »
    conor wont touch after the bell rings itl be straight in his face piling on the pressure

I think you might see a more elusive Conor in this fight i hope so anyway,i have a feeling he might intend playing a more counter punch style for this fight.

He definitely rushed Mendes too much and gave away too many easy takedowns,which Aldo is gonna be gameplanning for,so i'm hoping for a less agressive Conor as to me its probably his best road to victory.Use his length and reach and keep Aldo on the outside has got to be his key to winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

newbbieb wrote: »
    I think you might see a more elusive Conor in this fight i hope so anyway,i have a feeling he might intend playing a more counter punch style for this fight.

He definitely rushed Mendes too much and gave away too many easy takedowns,which Aldo is gonna be gameplanning for,so i'm hoping for a less agressive Conor as to me its probably his best road to victory.Use his length and reach and keep Aldo on the outside has got to be his key to winning.

Is he capable of holding back though!?

Just comes so natural to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

One of McGregor's best assets is his pressure and control.

He'll come rattling across the cage to try and back Aldo up. Aldo loses if he gets backed up against the fence. If your back is close to the fence you have very little space to move and McGregor will land at will with his length and distance control.

If we see McGregor backing up he's probably going to be in trouble.

Fromvert wrote: »
    One of McGregor's best assets is his pressure and control.

He'll come rattling across the cage to try and back Aldo up. Aldo loses if he gets backed up against the fence. If your back is close to the fence you have very little space to move and McGregor will land at will.

If we see McGregor backing up he's probably going to be in trouble.

I dunno he fought pretty well going backwards against Brimage,landed some nice shots moving backwards,that fight showed what Conor can do with a fighter if they pressure him on the feet too much.

I dunno he fought pretty well going backwards against Brimage,landed some nice shots moving backwards,that fight showed what Conor can do with a fighter if they pressure him on the feet too much.

Brimage isn't comparable to Aldo and Brimage was wild in that fight basically rushing forward with his head down throwing overhands. Just open to be countered.
    What has McGregor done since that fight, he closes the distance and backs up his opponent once the bell rings.

Aldo will be more methodical with his shots if he's backing McGregor up. It will not be a good night if McGregor is backing up more than Aldo is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Brimage and Aldo are totally different animals.

Similar to when I disagreed with people citing the previous southpaws that Aldo fought, you cant use Brimage as a legitimate comparison when you’re talking about McGregor striking while moving backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

anyone see the tony ferguson interview? christ hes full of poo :D

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Brimage and Aldo are totally different animals.

Similar to when I disagreed with people citing the previous southpaws that Aldo fought, you cant use Brimage as a legitimate comparison when you’re talking about McGregor striking while moving backwards.

Completely agree with you that there is obviously no comparison,Brimage is the weakest fighter Conor fought in the UFC,but i still think it showed he can punch with power while backing up,we will see what happens i just think if he pressures like he did last fight Aldo is gonna be looking for takedowns,everyone says he will stand but i can see him looking for takedowns after Conors last fight.

Depp wrote: »

I really like Ferguson, guy is a monster. Great wrestler/grappler and his striking is has come on a lot now. He knows the game, talk some **** when the mic is in your face to get noticed.
    He's got himself some media coverage in this crazy busy week. If he said nothing he would of got nothing. Wins this week, he calls for a title shot and he could get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

The more I watch embedded the more I feel Rockhold isn't mentally there to be champion. Was thinking he would win but not confident at all now...

akelly02 wrote: »

Did you think I said he would or something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Did you think I said he would or something? :confused:

Yes...sorry im not with it today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I sense a huge anti climax.

On another note rockhold looks ripped huge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ASOT wrote: »
    The more I watch embedded the more I feel Rockhold isn't mentally there to be champion. Was thinking he would win but not confident at all now...

He looks a bit uncomfortable when he's on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He looks a bit uncomfortable when he's on it

His head just doesn't seem in it, a long stretch from when he was fighting Bisping. Along with the book he was reading on the plane and him always mentioning mentality it just doesn't seem good for him.

In other news Gian Villente is a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

if someone could link me the meme with conor being aldo's father in an old style yearbook photo i would be much appreciated.

What do you lot think then? After the stare down and all that yesterday before turning away Conor bowed/nodded to Aldo, as a sign of respect obviously and Aldo, caught a little by surprise by the look of it nodded back before he turned away. Dana seemed shocked also

Is it all just part of McGregor trying to be unpredictable and continue unsettling Aldo or is it more the real Conor who my friends who know him tell me so much about, i.e. genuine respect and sincere action?

Any opinions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ASOT wrote: »
    His head just doesn't seem in it, a long stretch from when he was fighting Bisping. Along with the book he was reading on the plane and him always mentioning mentality it just doesn't seem good for him.

Even when he's messing with his coaches and that he seems to be forcing it and not acting natural.

Didn't see what book he was reading on the plane, though I did notice that it was a Southwest which alot of the fighters fly on. Southwest are the Ryanair of the US, well Ryanair are the Southwest of Europe to be more exact.

What do you lot think then? After the stare down and all that yesterday before turning away Conor bowed/nodded to Aldo, as a sign of respect obviously and Aldo, caught a little by surprise by the look of it nodded back before he turned away. Dana seemed shocked also

Is it all just part of McGregor trying to be unpredictable and continue unsettling Aldo or is it more the real Conor who my friends who know him tell me so much about, i.e. genuine respect and sincere action?

Any opinions?

I think nothing of it, there's definitely respect for each others fighting ability.

All the hype and promotion is done, they've been doing this for nearly a year now. They're both probably tired of it and have their mind on their weight and just want to get to Saturday night now.

I do expect them to have to be separated at the weigh in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Depp wrote: »

Just like McG, he's a "great talker".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Can only take the Embedded videos at face value but Rockhold looks very wound up whenever he's presented on screen.

On the flip side, Weidman looks so calm and composed and seems to be enjoying fight week more than in previous times.

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »
    I think nothing of it, there's definitely respect for each others fighting ability.

All the hype and promotion is done, they've been doing this for nearly a year now. They're both probably tired of it and have their mind on their weight and just want to get to Saturday night now.

I do expect them to have to be separated at the weigh in though.

So you think its less the show man McGregor and more the human McGregor, thank you.

I can't decide myself whether it is still just him trying to unsettle Aldo, who he may think would still be expecting the brash, loud mouthed McGregor or genuine, hopefully it was.

I know there is respect there regardless of what he says but it would be nice to see him show it before the final bell for a change :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement