Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to imprison someone

Options
  • 09-12-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

Seeing as Mick Wallace was jailed today in Limerick prison, having been arrested in Clontarf garda station, where he probably would have passed 3-4 jails on his way to Limerick, what is the policy on where someone is imprisoned?
    It seems a poor use of resources to transfer a prisoner to Limerick from Dublin
    or to jail somebody in a jail further away than their nearest one?

Assuming there's space in the nearer ones...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Good question. It is probably the nearest one to the court where he failed to pay the fine.

I thought that Mount Joy was the place that they send people on a bench warrant, but what would I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, it appears that the prison of choice is the one servicing the court where the prisoner has been charged/convicted. I guess it makes sense since any appeals or matters in relation to the case are going to be heard at that court, so your transportation costs are minimised.

Advertisement