Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misheard Christmas Lyrics

Options
  • 30-11-2015 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

For years I've been singing Mistletoe and Wine wrong.

Christmas time, mistletoe and wine, children singing Christy and wine!'

I know it makes no sense but I could never figure out what he was singing and I never bothered to look it up. :D It was only the other day when I properly listened that I realised it's 'children singing Christian rhyme.'

And today I realised that Wham aren't singing 'a crowded room, friends with tie dyes.' :D

Anyone else have any misheard Christmas lyrics? (Probably not. I'm particularly stupid!)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Another one I had in Wham's.

"Reindeer, to save me from tears."

Quite how these tear-prevention creatures operated, I wasn't sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Buble's "Cold December Night " : thought it was Santa's carols, but it's sound of carols. In my.defence, he sings the lyrics very fast in that song.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Bit of an urban legend amongst teachers but anyhow "Away in a Manger" -the little malteaser lay down his sweet head,

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

The teacher asks her class to draw a Nativity scene and goes round the room inspecting their work. She looks at little Johnny's drawing and asks him to explain who each figure is.
    "Well that's Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus. There's the shepherds, that's the angel."
    "OK, who's this chubby guy here beside them?"
    "Oh, that's Round John Virgin!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

For years I thought it was "round young virgin" as in she's looking round because she's pregnant as opposed to everyone gathering "round yon virgin"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

JustShon wrote: »
    For years I thought it was "round young virgin" as in she's looking round because she's pregnant as opposed to everyone gathering "round yon virgin"

Ah jaysus, I thought that too until you posted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Ah jaysus, I thought that too until you posted. :D

Enjoy your first Christmas singing that song correctly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's the most wonderful time of the year "there'll be scary go stories" instead of "there'll be scary ghost stories" - that would be the most obvious thing but then why are they singing about ghost stories at Christmas?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Anyone else have any misheard Christmas lyrics? (Probably not. I'm particularly stupid!)

So weird OP, I came in to post the exact same misheard lyric. I'm not the only gob****e! Hurrrah!

I know it makes no sense but I could never figure out what he was singing and I never bothered to look it up. :D It was only the other day when I properly listened that I realised it's 'children singing Christian rhyme.'

And today I realised that Wham aren't singing 'a crowded room, friends with tie dyes.' :D

I used think it was "Children singing whiskey and wine"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I used think it was "Children singing whiskey and wine"

Yep me too haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Last Christmas I gave you my heart, but the very next day, you said you were gay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Caesar, whooooooaaaaaa, let them know it's Christmas time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

"Dashing through the snow
    On a one horse soap and sleigh"

Couldnt figure out what the soap had to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I thought I had a massive misheard lyric when I came across this YT video this morning.

https://youtu.be/xzv-SBd8ERI?t=4m

At the 4 min mark, there's a bit of ceefax from off of the 80s, where they are showing the 12 Days of Christmas lyrics, and there's 4 "colly" birds, where I've always said "calling" birds. Luckily, it seems like colly is the original archaic version, and it became calling birds at some point before I was born.

Which version do y'all sing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I usually say "calling" birds but I know that it is originally meant to be "colly" birds too. Colly is an old word for black, so it meant 4 blackbirds. It just morphed into "calling" throughout the years.

Another from Last Christmas: This year, to semi frontiers...

Whenever I hear Christmas Won't Be The Same This Year by the Jackson 5 on Christmas FM I think they're singing 'Christmas won't be the same this year without the Lebanon.'

This is a new one, and it's not a misheard lyric because she's definitely singing 'Happy Hollandaise'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I doubt if I'm the only person who thought this but I always though Shane McGowan in Fairytale of New York sang

"God I'm the lucky one, came in at ten to one"

When it's

"Gotta lucky one, came in 18 to one"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Not quite the same, but MrsCR used to look after cathedral choristers who would try to get away with deliberately "adjusting" the lyrics of favourite carols during their Christmas services. I can never hear "The Angel Gabriel" now without translating the second last line to "... most highly flavoured lady ..."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I doubt if I'm the only person who thought this but I always though Shane McGowan in Fairytale of New York sang

"God I'm the lucky one, came in at ten to one"

When it's

"Gotta lucky one, came in 18 to one"
    I could only ever hear "You're a slut, you're a mumble, you're an old mumble mumble, lying there mumble mumble like a mumble mumble mumble" until I actually googled the lyrics. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A lot of people (myself included) think one of the lines of 'Driving Home for Christmas' is 'But soon there'll be a freeway' when it's actually 'three-way' (lanes I presume!)

Seven Worlds will Collide

A lot of people (myself included) think one of the lines of 'Driving Home for Christmas' is 'But soon there'll be a freeway' when it's actually 'three-way' (lanes I presume!)

No way! That's mad. I thought it was freeway. I'm beginning to think that I have a problem with my hearing. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Wow. I've been saying freeway for years.

Advertisement