Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda stop but what happens next?

• 24-11-2015 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 MagsDar

Hi everyone. I was stopped for speeding on a motorway near Kilkenny by Garda traffic last Saturday morning. I was in a bit of a rush for work and emarassed to say, I was going 148km which she pointed out to me as she stopped me. She was by herself, asked for my driving licence. I was shaking as I was never stopped before and I just felt embarrassed, like a bald kid. Anyway she took me details, said nothing else apart from "Slow down, you can go". So I don't know what will happen next? If she will issue a ticket or not, I was so shaken that I actually never asked her. Did anyone else had experience like mine? I am just not sure if I will get a ticket or not, and if so how long does it take? I just need to intercept it in the post so my hubby wont see it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think because you weren't out to get one over the Gardaí, they let you off with a warning. Pretty sure Gardaí have to explain what further action they are taking if they are taking further action. Drive safely and heed the warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'd say you'll get a fixed charge penalty in the post. Pay it in the post office and that's the end of it, other than the penalty points applied to your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MagsDar

Thanks for your replies. I am just so stressed over it for no reason, I guess as what's done is done and I can't help it. Would you know by any chance how long might it take to get the letter from them? Driving for 15 years and never stopped or fined until now...

• MagsDar wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I am just so stressed over it for no reason, I guess as what's done is done and I can't help it. Would you know by any chance how long might it take to get the letter from them? Driving for 15 years and never stopped or fined until now...

Never caught until now. :D

Did you hand over your licence? If not did they make demand for you to produce? Generally you would be told that you are going to receive an FCPS and how much it is, how long to pay, the increase of you don't pay and summons of you fail to pay after 56 days from issue. (Not the day you are stopped)

You could receive it in a week or a month, it depends how often the Garda submits their tickets and if you have to produce your licence in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MagsDar

That's probably right too ;). She stopped me,told me I was speeding and asked for my licence. When I was searching each pocket of my purse for it (my hands shaking, panicking I left it at home, or lost it etc) she went to the backing my car, I can only assume to get my licence plate. She came back l, I handed over my licence. I've seen her taking all my details to ger note pad. She then asked what my address was, gave my driving licence back and told me to slow down and go. That's it. No mention of the ticket or what will happen. My only words were "so sorry" "heres my licence" "my address" and "sorry again". So I have no clue as to I will get fine or not...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

MagsDar wrote: »
    That's probably right too ;). She stopped me,told me I was speeding and asked for my licence. When I was searching each pocket of my purse for it (my hands shaking, panicking I left it at home, or lost it etc) she went to the backing my car, I can only assume to get my licence plate. She came back l, I handed over my licence. I've seen her taking all my details to ger note pad. She then asked what my address was, gave my driving licence back and told me to slow down and go. That's it. No mention of the ticket or what will happen. My only words were "so sorry" "heres my licence" "my address" and "sorry again". So I have no clue as to I will get fine or not...

Sounds like you won't hear anymore about it, just a warning by all accounts, your details where probably taken to check for tax / insurance / licence / any outstanding issues

• MagsDar wrote: »

I'd say you are safe.

OP!
    You should be ok!
    Gardai are very observant.

She probably saw you were shaking and nervous and may have decided to give you a warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I was going 148km

Probably not what you want to be hearing, but you should have a look at the mess a car that's going that hard makes when something goes wrong. The road isn't designed for that speed and the car definitely isn't designed to stand up to a hit at that speed.

Bit of a killjoy, I know, but just trying to inject some perspective. There's worse things than being down €80 and having an awkward conversation with the other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

When I got stopped a while ago I had to ask in the end why I was stopped. The reply was oh yea you were doing 55kph in a 50kph. He didn't give me anything and didn't say anything you hear on these TV shows. Some times when you do the same thing day in day out you forget that people won't have a clue what the protocol is and won't know what happens after you get stopped. As she asked your address Id say you will have a ticket in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

yourpics wrote: »
    Sounds like you won't hear anymore about it, just a warning by all accounts, your details where probably taken to check for tax / insurance / licence / any outstanding issues

Wouldn't be too sure about that. I've found Gardai unwilling to pre warn you that you've just been booked. Saves them a stand off and stops them having to deal with an irate motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

civdef wrote: »
    Probably not what you want to be hearing, but you should have a look at the mess a car that's going that hard makes when something goes wrong. The road isn't designed for that speed and the car definitely isn't designed to stand up to a hit at that speed.

I don't think the road cares much as yer heart attempts to leave yer body via the nostrils

good 'cos its a hyundai or something that'd be in ireland :

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

afatbollix wrote: »
    When I got stopped a while ago I had to ask in the end why I was stopped.

In fairness thats the fairly logical thing to do.Maybe even ask the guard what action do they intend on taking;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It's plain that the OP will get a ticket in the post. 80 euro and 2 points.
    The Guard took name, address,license details and number plate.

She is not looking to send out a Christmas card.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kilsmum

It's 3 points now

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

Do the Gardaí not have to have the motorist sign something and give them a document of some kind even if it's a warning? Essentially it's proof of the stop and the violation even if it's follow up in the post with the fixed penalty notice.

We have to document all stops, even if it's a warning (no fine, nothing), motorist signs, they keep a copy and so do we. Even with the new digital devices, they get a print out (looks like a register receipt) with the details. It protects the officer and the public from any silliness. And yes, no one is happy when you start the "you are being issued a ticket for (insert violation here)...." easy prevention is slow down....A

• irishrgr wrote: »
    Do the Gardaí not have to have the motorist sign something and give them a document of some kind even if it's a warning? Essentially it's proof of the stop and the violation even if it's follow up in the post with the fixed penalty notice.

Nope. Nothing at all. You don't even get the ticket at the roadside.

Interesting, that seems very open to malfeasance. If I don't have proof of the violation, then a Garda could write anything they want when the ticket is written up. If I'm stopped for speeding, what's to say a member doesn't want to add on a broken tail light or up the speed violation by 20Kmph?

Don't get me wrong, as an officer, I trust the Gardaí and the majority of them are honest, hard working people doing a dangerous job. I just see this as a gap in the process. Proof of the stop and violation protects both the officer and the subject, everyone knows what's the story and they can take it up with the judge after the fact.

As an aside, do the Garda cars have video systems to at least record what happened?

A

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MrMaki

I was in similar situation. Garda asked for my DL, address, told me I was going too fast and that was it. 2-3 weeks later a ticket arrived via post. Paid the same day, and rang my insurance company to tell them the news ( btw your premium won't change unless you have more than 4 penalty points).

Interesting, that seems very open to malfeasance. If I don't have proof of the violation, then a Garda could write anything they want when the ticket is written up. If I'm stopped for speeding, what's to say a member doesn't want to add on a broken tail light or up the speed violation by 20Kmph?

Don't get me wrong, as an officer, I trust the Gardaí and the majority of them are honest, hard working people doing a dangerous job. I just see this as a gap in the process. Proof of the stop and violation protects both the officer and the subject, everyone knows what's the story and they can take it up with the judge after the fact.

As an aside, do the Garda cars have video systems to at least record what happened?

A

Everything goes in the notebook. You can choose not to pay the ticket and fight it in court.

Only cars with video are the ANPR ones and they don't record audio outside the car. You're obviously looking at systems they have in the States where officers are miked up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

MagsDar wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I was stopped for speeding on a motorway near Kilkenny by Garda traffic last Saturday morning. I was in a bit of a rush for work and emarassed to say, I was going 148km which she pointed out to me as she stopped me. She was by herself, asked for my driving licence. I was shaking as I was never stopped before and I just felt embarrassed, like a bald kid. Anyway she took me details, said nothing else apart from "Slow down, you can go". So I don't know what will happen next? If she will issue a ticket or not, I was so shaken that I actually never asked her. Did anyone else had experience like mine? I am just not sure if I will get a ticket or not, and if so how long does it take? I just need to intercept it in the post so my hubby wont see it.

148? Jesus wept if you you receive nothing that cop is a joke or your mother. Even in a 120 zone

• Zambia wrote: »
    148? Jesus wept if you you receive nothing that cop is a joke or your mother. Even in a 120 zone

Nothing wrong with using discretion.

Yeah, I was talking about the video/audio systems we have in our cars. They are required by State law on all patrol vehicles. They are great, it protects the officer and public from any dodgy business. It's all recorded to a hard drive in the boot and only supervisors can open the hard drive. In our system they can also remote in to your camera and see what you are seeing...

I still find it a bit alarming in Ireland it "all goes in the notebook" as you can write anything you want in a notebook, but so goes Ireland I suppose.

A

I still find it a bit alarming in Ireland it "all goes in the notebook" as you can write anything you want in a notebook, but so goes Ireland I suppose.

A

Contemptuous notes, nothing wrong with them. Used in a lot of forces still.

I'd have no problem using bodycam or vehicle cam if introduced.

And America is weird when it comes to law enforcement, like having to have unmarked cars on dept licence plates in some states and providing advance notice of drink/drive checkpoints and making sure there is a route available to avoid them!

foreign wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with using discretion.

I agree but 30kmph over is outside discretions realm IMO. In fact here the police would take your car.

Your vehicle could be impounded if you commit offences such as:
    •speeding at 45 km/h or more over the speed limit (or 145 kilometres per hour or more if the speed limit is 110 kilometres per hour)

I agree but 30kmph over is outside discretions realm IMO. In fact here the police would take your car.

Your vehicle could be impounded if you commit offences such as:
    •speeding at 45 km/h or more over the speed limit (or 145 kilometres per hour or more if the speed limit is 110 kilometres per hour)

We don't know the overall circumstances of the incident, weather, traffic volume. The Garda could have seen from the drivers reaction that they were remorseful and understood the consequences. Lots goes into the decision of giving a ticket or not.

Well considering the OP stated they were on the way to work. I asked a cop here yesterday would that be within the realms of discretion (which is vital IMO to any police officer) and he said simply questions would be asked why the laser gun has a 148 reading and there is no infringement corresponding to it.

Well considering the OP stated they were on the way to work. I asked a cop here yesterday would that be within the realms of discretion (which is vital IMO to any police officer) and he said simply questions would be asked why the laser gun has a 148 reading and there is no infringement corresponding to it.

It can still be recorded on PULSE without a prosecution.

foreign wrote: »
    Contemptuous notes, nothing wrong with them. Used in a lot of forces still.

I'd have no problem using bodycam or vehicle cam if introduced.

And America is weird when it comes to law enforcement, like having to have unmarked cars on dept licence plates in some states and providing advance notice of drink/drive checkpoints and making sure there is a route available to avoid them!

Yeah, we're getting 50 body cams to evaluate later this year. Lots of unanswered questions on that. When is it on, what's recorded, what's got to be sanitized if released...it'll shake out over time.

Unmarked cars with dept plates is common enough. Our detectives use "painfully unmarked" cars (as a mate said) which have agency plates. They are not trying to hide, it's very obvious it's the fuzz. But, as a unmarked, non patrol vehicle, then it doesn't have to have the roof lights & video systems (required by state law). They have dash/grille lights, etc. but we can't use them for stops except in exceptional circumstances. It saves the dept money by not having to kit them out.

The undercovers use random cars, mate of mine had a nice seized Lexus she used when she was in narcotics, she hated to pass it on. But they have no kit, you'd never know they were the law.

DWI checkpoints: depending on the state law, they are announced as a means of avoiding legal challenges. DWI checkpoints can be legally tricky with the probable cause issue, we don't have 'em in Texas, not allowed under state law. (yet you can buy guns in a Wal Mart...go figure). They are also announced as a preventative, idea being maybe people won't take a chance...not so much.

A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

irishrgr wrote: »
    Yeah, we're getting 50 body cams to evaluate later this year. Lots of unanswered questions on that. When is it on, what's recorded, what's got to be sanitized if released...it'll shake out over time.

Unmarked cars with dept plates is common enough. Our detectives use "painfully unmarked" cars (as a mate said) which have agency plates. They are not trying to hide, it's very obvious it's the fuzz. But, as a unmarked, non patrol vehicle, then it doesn't have to have the roof lights & video systems (required by state law). They have dash/grille lights, etc. but we can't use them for stops except in exceptional circumstances. It saves the dept money by not having to kit them out.

The undercovers use random cars, mate of mine had a nice seized Lexus she used when she was in narcotics, she hated to pass it on. But they have no kit, you'd never know they were the law.

DWI checkpoints: depending on the state law, they are announced as a means of avoiding legal challenges. DWI checkpoints can be legally tricky with the probable cause issue, we don't have 'em in Texas, not allowed under state law. (yet you can buy guns in a Wal Mart...go figure). They are also announced as a preventative, idea being maybe people won't take a chance...not so much.

A

Would the Lexus have insurance? Garda Vehicles usually only have tax so that might give it away

Advertisement