Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Mycroft H wrote: »
    What's the catch? It's not free cake here surely?

Why is account management free with NUMBER26?
    NUMBER26 earns a small amount on every card transaction carried out by a merchant, at no cost to you. We also earn a percentage of deposits managed by Wirecard Bank, our strategic partner. NUMBER26 is an online banking company, and completely dispenses with any kind of branch structure. This allows us to offer our services free of charge.

Mr.S wrote: »
    What actually happens during the video chat? Do you see them or what?

It's a video call with their support team in DE and it is recorded. Need to show your face, passport and verify phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

What actually happens during the video chat? Do you see them or what?

Yes, you see them and they see you, they give you some legal disclaimers (about storing your info etc.), they take a face picture (to compare to your ID), than they take pictures of your ID, make you swirl the ID in front of the camera to see the security features and finally they send you code via SMS you need to enter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

RHJ wrote: »

Virgin Media are SEPA compliant, you will have no issues with a direct debit set up.

Given that Spotify are a global company, you can bet that they are SEPA compliant, should be no issues with direct debit set up.

• Advertisement

To the best of my knowledge the answer is Yes if your social welfare get's directly into your account. You can't lodge cash into the account in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Are the primary benefits of this that you don't pay maintenance fees and you get a Mastercard?

Sorry for being slow on the uptake here, I'm just having trouble understanding the point of it.

You can't lodge cash into your account? So it's not a total replacement for your regular bank account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Not that your Irish debit card would allow you to spend 5000€ in one go. I would use my miles earning credit card for that, 5000 miles for the honey moon build up. And than I pay the credit card from my current account.

Wirecard (the bank behind it) is a German bank, imagine the paperwork needed to cash in an Irish cheque. German's don't use cheques anymore ever since the Euroscheck got away (which was guaranteed to be paid).

What credit card have you got that gives you miles?

Rackstar wrote: »
    What credit card have you got that gives you miles?

DKB Lufthansa

Now I hear you say, you can't get that in Ireland, however under certain circumstances (aka a German Bank account) you can get it despite living in this beautiful country.

If you have a DKB account you can get it without paperwork via online application in a couple of minutes with a decent limit.

If you have a different German Bank Account and they are willing to give a bank reference you can get with some paperwork, however I don't think number26 will give bank references.

I so love SEPA, it makes life so much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I was wondering if this product would show up in Bargain Alerts and it deserves it's place here but we now have 2 threads running - I'm sure the moderators will decide what's best.

I'm still paid into a BOI Savings a/c, I have a PTSB Current A/c which I operate FREE and I have a cheque book (only use to lodge money to State Savings) with PTSB.

I'm also now with Revolut and Number 26 and oh yes a realex fire a/c that i never use.

Common denominator - I pay no charges (except government duty which I'll mostly escape next year) - mix and match people -mix and match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

If you are a student you can get free banking with any brick and mortar bank here. AIB is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Seoda1

What proof of address do they look for or do they ask for this? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭patricksmyth

@seoda1

they dont ask for proof of address on the call (they post your mastercard out to your address, so i guess that handles that)
    you just need your passport (the new passport card is not acceptable)
    you will also need to make sure you have good phone coverage (they send you sms while on the phone)
    they will ask you to confirm back the details you filled into the website

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭smilgy

If they send out a Mastercard credit card, does that mean that when you're renting a car somewhere where a debit card is not enough, this would suffice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

I pick up some weird stuff from Bargain Alerts but a German bank account I was not expecting.

Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

This isn't a bank account in any meaningful sense of the word.

It's a credit card with some add on features.

Can't make deposits.

Can't make withdrawals. (payments via credit card are not withdrawals, yes there is a difference)

No cash services.

No resident customer services.

It's not a bank account.

Check the interest rates and compare it against other credit card sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 PeeDawg

Has anyone got one of these? How good is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

I pick up some weird stuff from Bargain Alerts but a German bank account I was not expecting.
    This isn't a bank account in any meaningful sense of the word...

Thanks Slutmonkey!

God bless the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Can't make deposits.

Can't make withdrawals. (payments via credit card are not withdrawals, yes there is a difference)

No cash services.

It's not a bank account.

You can make deposits
    You can withdraw from a cash machine foc

• Advertisement

Can't make deposits.

No cash services.

It's not a bank account.

That goes into the Internet Archive.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I was wondering if this product would show up in Bargain Alerts and it deserves it's place here but we now have 2 threads running - I'm sure the moderators will decide what's best.

I'm still paid into a BOI Savings a/c, I have a PTSB Current A/c which I operate FREE and I have a cheque book (only use to lodge money to State Savings) with PTSB.

I'm also now with Revolut and Number 26 and oh yes a realex fire a/c that i never use.

Common denominator - I pay no charges (except government duty which I'll mostly escape next year) - mix and match people -mix and match.

There are a number of free Irish accounts you can get to use to wire funds to your Number26 account, even if you don't meet the criteria for free banking with PTSB or Ulster Bank.

The EBS MoneyManager account is a current account completely free of basic transaction and account maintenance fees, except for ATM withdrawals. Use it to load your Revolut account with the EBS MasterCard debit card or wire money to your Number26 account and that takes care of free ATM withdrawals.

All the major credit unions also offer current accounts with all the necessary aspects except (for now) a debit card facility. Again, use one of these accounts to wire money to your Number26 account.

JAMM222 wrote: »
    You can make deposits
    You can withdraw from a cash machine foc

According to a previous poster, no cash deposits.

Money transfers aren't deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

According to a previous poster, no cash deposits.

Money transfers aren't deposits.

I haven't made a cash deposit since 2011. I'm struggling to come up with a reason not to switch over all my banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Nollog

Does the card you get have contactless?

Yeah.
    sidcon wrote: »
    Is this NFC via mobile or just a mobile app for banking

It's on the card they mail you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

What is the difference?

McGaggs wrote: »
    I haven't made a cash deposit since 2011. I'm struggling to come up with a reason not to switch over all my banking.

That's fine. But there's a difference between "service not possible" and "service offered which I choose not to avail of". Domestic bricks and mortar banks are offering a completely different product to this, there's no point comparing them.

I never said the product didn't offer the features it does. I said that "bank account" isn't a *meaningful* description of this product.

McGaggs wrote: »
    What is the difference?

Withdraw money from an atm with your credit card and then start asking your bank about fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It is somewhat confusing that the word “credit card” in Germany is used as a synonym for the Visa credit card or MasterCard. Whether the plastic card is combined with a revolving account on which the credit card debt is accumulated or not.

This Card operates more like a prepaid debit card!

• Advertisement

Delta2113 wrote: »
    It is somewhat confusing that the word “credit card” in Germany is used as a synonym for the Visa credit card or MasterCard. Whether the plastic card is combined with a revolving account on which the credit card debt is accumulated or not.

This Card operates more like a prepaid debit card!

It's deliberately confusing to make you think it's something it's not.

Anyway, there's no benefit splitting hairs about the terminology. It's interesting for some who are happy with the limitations, anyone signing up should definitely not ask boards if it's suitable for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement