Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you cook your turkey

• 25-11-2015 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ToRamona

I heard a recipe on the radio last week for cooking turkey breast and the persons swears its the only way to have a moist turkey.

Boil the turkey breast in chicken stock for two hours, cover in maple syrup and roast for one hour. Has anyone tried this?

I am giving it a go tomorrow to see what it's like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

How-To-Cook-A-Turkey2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

I think that's called broiling it. How do i cook it well first of all stuff it with nice sage breadcrumbs then I seperate the skin from the breast and fill the space with melted butter soy sauce and garlic then I coat the outside in that mixture too then I roast it one hour at 200 then down to about 140 and wait it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ToRamona

Patww79 wrote: »

Do you season it? Is it not very dry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I put the turkey in a roasting tray on a wire rack, about a pint or 2 of water underneath and cover in Tim foil. Roast it breast side down for the first 30 - 40 mins then turn over. This allows the juices to keep the breast moist. Make sure that there is water in the roasting dish all of the time.

I want to try something different rather than the usual stuffed turkey and basting it every half hour.

I put the turkey in a roasting tray on a wire rack, about a pint or 2 of water underneath and cover in Tim foil. Roast it breast side down for the first 30 - 40 mins then turn over. This allows the juices to keep the breast moist. Make sure that there is water in the roasting dish all of the time.

I never heard anyone cooking it like this, it's interesting and I may try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I put loads of butter under the skin and around the inside to keep it moist, put a few rashers on the top, put it in foil so its like an oven in an oven and check it every so often. That's from Delia Smith's christmas book. I don't eat meat myself so I can't vouch for it but it seems to go down well here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I like to "brine" it overnight, ie soak it in slightly salted water. Then start it breast down in the oven and turn after an hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

ToRamona wrote: »
    I never heard anyone cooking it like this, it's interesting and I may try it.

I forgot to mention, take the foil off for the last 20 or 30 minutes to allow the skin to crisp up

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Put it in a large oven bag with not a thing on it and cook it until it goes fairly dry. Normally drain off the liquid from the bag half an hour before cooking so it can dry out and not be soggy from sitting in it.

That's generally how we cook our turkey. I love the taste of Turkey being turkey and not loads of seasonings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

I have to coat mine and marinate it can't stand the look of a white anaemic turkey and my mother refuses to eat it. It has to appeal to the eye too :-) mind you I'd prefer a leg of lamb to a turkey any day.

I put butter mixed with dried cranberries and herbs under the skin and streaky bacon on the outside. Keeps it lovely and moist.

I've never been in the Christmas forum before. Hello everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Best forum ever!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Welcome! It's like the Hotel California around here. You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I boiled a boned and rolled Turkey in chicken stock last year. Much prefer it to roasting. When my dad found out it wasn't roasted, he said I was mad. But when he ate it, his eyes lit up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Welcome! It's like the Hotel California around here. You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave.

Haha creepy but accurate! You'll never want to leave lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Welcome strawberry milkshake !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've never done a turkey in it but slow cooker chicken is THE BEST so I'd love to try it in the slowcooker sometime. Sadly turkeys are flippin massive so no dice. :(

Usually I treat it very much like a traditional roast chicken. Make a tent out of tinfoil over the bird, stuff mountains of butter up in between the skin and the meat (zero point putting it on top of the skin, it just melts of into the bottom of the dish) and stick a few onions and maybe a lemon up in the cavity. Get your timings right and voila.

A friend of mine did his in ribena one year and said it was really nice but I'm not too sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I line a large tray with foil, throw in chopped carrots, celery, onions, garlic cloves and fresh parsley and thyme.

I rub a parsley & thyme infused butter under the skin of the turkey and rub.

I rub the rest of this butter all over the bird, lay on streaky rashers, throw some slivers of onion, garlic cloves and half a lemon inside the cavity.

Season the bird with salt and pepper.
    Tightly wrap tin foil over the bird and the whole tray, sealing well.

I remove the foil for the last 40 minutes of cooking to allow it to brown.
    I've been doing the bird this way for years and it's never dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Davion Fit Leg

I like to "brine" it overnight, ie soak it in slightly salted water. Then start it breast down in the oven and turn after an hour or so.

I was considering brining mine this year. I've seen a recipe where you brine it in a bucket of herbs and spices for 2 a few days before cooking and it supposedly makes it more moist. Does it make much of a difference?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm just sticking with my usual method of lashing a load of butter and herbs under the skin and then basting every 4 minutes!
    I worry starting it off upside down would flatten it. :pac:
    I've never been in the Christmas forum before. Hello everyone
    Hello!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I cooked mine breast down one year, forgot I had done that and then when I went to carve it I couldn't get much meat off it. I was disgusted as I had told the butcher I needed it for 6 adults and leftovers

Realised the day after when I went to portion the remaining turkey. I will add I was 8 months pregnant and sleep deprived thanks to a sick toddler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Nigellas way.

In a bucket overnight, with various herbs etc... Then cook a 4.4kg turkey for 2 hours 15 mins, first hour and half upside down, last one to crisp up the top.

Leave to sit for one hour...

Perfect every time.

I did not eat turkey for years, sawdust cooked for hours... But I have to say, this is tried and tested, works every time

Ingredients SWITCH TO CUP MEASURES

for the turkey brining
    approx. 6 litres water
    1 large orange or 2 smaller (quartered)
    250 grams maldon salt (or 125g / ½ cup table salt)
    3 tablespoons black peppercorns
    1 bouquet garni
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 tablespoon caraway seeds
    4 cloves
    2 tablespoons allspice berries
    4 star anise
    2 tablespoons white mustard seeds
    200 grams sugar
    2 onions (unpeeled and quartered)
    1 x 6 cm piece of fresh root ginger (unpeeled and cut into 6 slices)
    4 tablespoons maple syrup
    4 tablespoons runny honey
    stalks from 1 bunch fresh parsley
    1 x 5.5 kilograms turkey
    for the basting glaze
    75 grams goose fat (or butter)
    3 tablespoons maple syrup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

I've tried the turkey bags the last couple of years and while the meat has been nice and moist I found the skin sticks to the parts of the bag ruining the appearance of the turkey when I take off the bag. Anyone know how to avoid this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I stopped using the bags several years ago because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Davion Fit Leg

I cooked mine breast down one year, forgot I had done that and then when I went to carve it I couldn't get much meat off it. I was disgusted as I had told the butcher I needed it for 6 adults and leftovers

Realised the day after when I went to portion the remaining turkey. I will add I was 8 months pregnant and sleep deprived thanks to a sick toddler

Happened me with a ready cooked chicken from tesco, I took it out of the bag upside down. Ranted and raved to OH about the lack of meat on it and he was just about to take it back and complain when I realised my mistake :o I was too embarrassed to tell OH though, I just told him it wouldn't be worth the hassle bringing it back :o Funnily enough, I was also pregnant at the time :pac:

Thanks lazeedaisy that was the recipe I was after. I'm going to give it a go and see does it really make a difference. I've seen a few videos of American's deep frying their turkeys but I wouldn't be brave enough to try :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm trying Nigella's method this year. I've tried a turkey crown and a full turkey, the 'normal' way and it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I put it on a tray with water to bake slowly.

If a full turkey, loads of butter, and onion, lemon inside and rashers over the top and a few root vegs

Cover with tin foil.

Keep topping up with water.

I cook by eye so could not tell you how long or what temp sorry

Advertisement