Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LEGO: storage box or retro toy storage box sturdy

• 15-11-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I am looking for something with an old fashioned/retro/country look to it

I wanted to get a good storage box for lego but something that would look well too in corner of a room. Are there any old type retro style lego boxes that are quite sturdy.

If not I would go for a really good quality traditional/retro/country style storage toy box

Would welcome any ideas anyone might have

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I came across today in passing a set of boxes in various sizes in my local Homefront gift shop. Are these the sort of boxes you might be looking for? I don't know how sturdy they are for a child or lego, (I looked in the top box looked ok but the thickness of the box is only about half an inch on the small one, so might not be that sturdy) but as you can see from the 2nd pic a label on says it's Tara living, now I thought "oh tara like as in giftware tara china and tara jewellery" but actually it's Tara Giftworks and they deal with trade customers only (so says their website, although they have a showroom in Finglas) although they would be the ones for trunks and storage as well as antique trunks and vintage stuff. In any case you probably might see these around in other gift shops, it's the first lot I've seen recently, although a cousin of mine was visiting in the last few weeks and she found similar boxes in the style of a treasure chest type box but in some toy shop in Killarney, so there's bound to be more elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

tbh though when we were kids we had all the Lego in plastic storage container boxes, the predecessors to what you can get today, the boxes we still have and are still used (the Lego has been handed on to cousins and on since). We did have some Technic Lego stored in an old heavy trunk which we still have but the hinge at the back was never reliable and it's not that dissimilar to the hinges and locks on the boxes in my post above, so it was always a problem opening it. If you were to get vintage/retro boxes not only check the sturdyness of the box, but the hinge too.

A few months ago I did buy large plastic storage containers with wheels from Home Store + More http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/containers/rolling-storage-container-with-lid-55l/invt/052286

I have found them very useful for storing stuff in it, I got various sizes and they stack well, they have wheels so handy to move around if you have wooden floors (not sure how they would be on carpet) only negatives is between the ones I looked at be careful of wheels and don't even try to take the labels off them, they are very much stuck on and impossible to get off. You could probably decorate them with stickers though. They do also have storage boxes without wheels and in different colours and sizes so you have different heights and lengths (including for under the bed storage). B&Q also do very similar type storage containers (I was pricing between the two as both shops in the same retail park where I am) in similar sizes, so maybe also other DIY shops like Woodies might too.

Failing that Dunnes also have "steamer trunks" but in a Christmas/Santa style
    http://www.dunnesstores.com/steamer-trunks//dunnesstores/fcp-product/1414147?colour=red

I have also seen since about Summer plastic retro style (I'm not sure if that's what you'd call them) container storage boxes in Dunnes, they still have them in my local Dunnes, they are plastic but might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Oldstyle1

Orthsquel, thank you very much for those! I like those boxes from Dunnes the plastic ones look really nice

Also I might just have a browse over the Tara ones to see others in their range.

Thank you so much for your detailed response! Cheers

Advertisement