Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't post link?

Options
  • 20-06-2014 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi, I can't post a link in my post and I get the following message;
    "You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user."

I have posted links in the past without issue. Even if I paste as plain text it still won't allow me. Any fix for this?

Edit: apologies, wasn't aware of the 50 post rule being applicable to links.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,717 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ perhaps the same notice should include a sentence in there that addresses existing users that don't meet the new criteria to reduce confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hof1982

Maybe, was this a recent change i.e. not being able to post links until posts >50? I'm nearly certain I have posted links previously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The "50 posts required" change was introduced a few months back, so previously you were probably able. :)

It's an anti-spam/shill measure, sorry! Only 28 more posts and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hof1982

Not to worry, thanks for the responses.
    27 now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

"You cant post ......... because you're a new user" is a bit vague. Not only for users that have been around for a while but have a low post count but also for new and returning users.

Something like "You must be a member for 10 days and have 50 posts before you can post images, URLs or attachments" would surely avoid all the confusion.

Its also very annoying and limiting not to have the text editing tools available until you meet the criteria.

• Advertisement

I'd agree that message is unnecessarily vague. Could/should be updated alright.

The reason you can't edit before 50 posts is (afaik) to stop people getting around the restriction by adding a link by sticking it in an edit of their post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lapua Magnum

Why can't new users have the following functions:

Ability to put a quote in a post
    Use formatting buttons - Bold, Italics, etc.
    Use Bullet Points

Why are you making it difficult??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Why can't new users have the following functions:

Ability to put a quote in a post
    Use formatting buttons - Bold, Italics, etc.
    Use Bullet Points

Why are you making it difficult??
    The amount of new posters that felt the need to piss about with the font size and colour when they make their first post always baffled me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lapua Magnum

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The amount of new posters that felt the need to piss about with the font size and colour when they make their first post always baffled me.

The percentage is probably quite small.

A new user comes onto boards.ie and wants to respond to a post or ask a question. They are not allowed to:

Post a picture
    Post a link
    Put a quotation in their post
    Use any formatting (tables, bullet points, bold, italics)

Why would they stick around?? How many years does it take most causual users to rack up 50posts?? (Nowhere does it say you get these 'privileges' after 50 posts btw)

The No1 rule is "Don't be a Dick" but I feel Boards.ie is just being dicks to the users and it will backfire on them eventually.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The percentage is probably quite small.

A new user comes onto boards.ie and wants to respond to a post or ask a question. They are not allowed to:

Post a picture
    Post a link
    Put a quotation in their post
    Use any formatting (tables, bullet points, bold, italics)

Why would they stick around?? How many years does it take most causual users to rack up 50posts?? (Nowhere does it say you get these 'privileges' after 50 posts btw)

The No1 rule is "Don't be a Dick" but I feel Boards.ie is just being dicks to the users and it will backfire on them eventually.
    To be perfectly honest, your seeing the results of a solution to a problem but you have no idea what the problem was.

The problem was big and bad enough to warrant taking steps that inhibit new users' enjoyment of the site. That is not something ANY site wants to do but yet plenty of sites are forced to do it. Boards dealt with the issues that have lead to this new prohibition in the past using the rapid response of volunteers.

For various reasons, this is no longer appropriate and the problem that has led to this solution can, for the moment, only be dealt with in a small number of ways. I think this is probably the least disruptive.

50 posts is a small number, even for someone who is not prolific. I post about 2-3 times a day on average. It would take me under a month to get to 50 posts. Most people are more prolific than me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

By 50 posts a user will have spent enough time on the site to become comfortable with how to post in a sensible manner and should have a good knowledge of what is acceptable or not.
    It would not take someone too long to get to 50 if they are offering something to the site and getting involved in discussions.

If you understood the amount of people who sign up just to post a link to their crap website/survey/blog, then you'd understand why Boards wants people to join in discussion before allowing people use the site for their own agenda. There's a constant stream of leechers who don't want to engage - just use this place as a mouthpiece.

You've managed to make your point quite well without any links, pictures or superflous formatting (you even quoted a poster). If you have something worth sharing by some method other than words it'll be worth sharing in 40-odd posts time.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paulthom8

Can understand the frustration on both sides. However it slows down the path of threads such as "post your tracks" in Music forums etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

I see boards isn't following the Facebook/Twitter/successful model of letting new users use their site. I look forward to seeing the link to the boards.ie P45 party.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

See, the difference is there are numerous ways for sentient beings to get around the difficulties posed by not being able to post a direct link. It also prevents users being linked to illegal content, for which the person who unwittingly clicks the link then becomes criminally liable.

I think the trade-off is worth it tbh. The same problems exist with Twitter and Facebook but they have the revenue to employ full-time moderators who can remove the content relatively quickly. That said, that isn't always the case - look at the Slane girl debacle. Initially spread over Twitter and Facebook and not removed for in excess of 24 hours after being first reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Also Facebook and twitter are more user-controllable as people mostly see content from friends/people they have chosen to follow. Spam isn't so much of a problem as it's viewed by people that want to see the spammer's posts. On boards it's mainly post-moderated, so you can't really compare the two.

I see boards isn't following the Facebook/Twitter/successful model of letting new users use their site. I look forward to seeing the link to the boards.ie P45 party.
    At least it won't be you posting that link, noob.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I see boards isn't following the Facebook/Twitter/successful model of letting new users use their site.

...says the new user, using the site.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I look forward to seeing the link to the boards.ie P45 party.

The people that used to operate www.p45.net are having a party with boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

Me too - in the same boat :-)

I can see the logic though . . .

Gordon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 milkjunkie90

Overheal wrote: »
    ^ perhaps the same notice should include a sentence in there that addresses existing users that don't meet the new criteria to reduce confusion

i agree, i have the same message but had to google the problem to find this forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

i agree, i have the same message but had to google the problem to find this forum...

totally agree, and even though my post count is really low...I actually joined in 2008......So they should factor in my birth date on the forum!!
    killing me not to post pictures....which is what I need to do every time I'm here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DaBlackMask

Think I'm at 9 at moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

So as of Tuesday, we rolled out a change to this that has dropped the minimum post count required from 50 to 25, but we're still keeping the 10 day limit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dav wrote: »
    So as of Tuesday, we rolled out a change to this that has dropped the minimum post count required from 50 to 25, but we're still keeping the 10 day limit.

N&F stickies are updated to reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 devwa

Wouldn't it be worth to make this a FAQ entry in the 'I'm new here' section ?
    (or it's there and I din't find it).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

devwa wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be worth to make this a FAQ entry in the 'I'm new here' section ?
    (or it's there and I din't find it).

It is there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gahsux

test

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thePaulPower

it's king of anoying atm, I'm not posting any links, images etc. and it still saying I can't post it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

it's because you've only got 4 posts. You need 25.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement