Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever lived in France?

Options
  • 17-11-2015 8:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Packing in the job in the early new year and thinking of heading over to France around April to try get set up with a job for the Euro's. Probably just be looking for bar work or something similar. How's the cost of living? Would I be able to have a decent enough Lifestyle on a low wage over there?

Comments

Depends where you are. The social scene in rural France seemed fairly limited, a few old fellows drinking pastis in some cafe while kids hammer a flipper machine, no pub culture...though that was back in the 90s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Depends where you are. The social scene in rural France seemed fairly limited, a few old fellows drinking pastis in some cafe while kids hammer a flipper machine, no pub culture...though that was back in the 90s.

Well wouldn't wanna be going to rural. Paris would obviously be number one choice, but I would expect rents and cost of living to be much higher there. Was thinking maybe Lyon, Montpellier or Marseille maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My Father owns a bar in rural France and I can confirm this.. It depends where you go really! Paris is expensive. Many of the big cities would be the same as here really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I lived outside Paris for just under a year. It's expensive and the social scene was quite limited for the size of the city. Great if you are in to culture though.
    A low way will certainly not yield a decent lifestyle there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I'd imagine there might be a few over here who have ----> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=213

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Well wouldn't wanna be going to rural. Paris would obviously be number one choice, but I would expect rents and cost of living to be much higher there. Was thinking maybe Lyon, Montpellier or Marseille maybe.

There's not a huge bar culture in France to be honest. Lyon has a few decent ones, but they're not nearly as prevalent as here. Really nice city though, some cracking restaurants and much more chilled than Paris.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Of the big cities Marseille is probably the cheapest but there are affordable parts of Lyon and Bordeaux.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

I lived there for about 7 years - mid 80s and early 90s. It's expensive but good craic. You need to head to a neighbourhood with good transport ....... parking is very expensive. I'd suggest you read up on Arrondissement 18e or 13e. Might be worth buying a cheap pedal bike (and decent lock :)).
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I've lived in Paris. Great city and brilliant social scene now. I never worked in the bar game but know many who did. A lot of the guys got paid partially under the table which can make the pay decent. Drink is expensive but all the bars that know each other have prices for bar staff of other pubs that is reciprocated... All Irish / Anglophone pubs that is. Paris is cheap enough for food if both supermarkets and if you are eating out selectively. There is a very big Irish community there also who tend to look out for one another. There is even a GAA team called the Paris Gaels ! Also the Irish cultural centre who put on events including concerts and exhibitions in there beautiful old building. Also check them for accommodation also ! http://www.centreculturelirlandais.com/en/

Marseille is a kip I wouldn't want to live there. But although Nice is expensive it's a really great lifestyle... There will be I'm sure opportunities for staff at Ma Nolans pub over the summer... It's a huge restaurant / sports bar owned and run by an Irish man and staffed 90% by Irish people. Google them and email them in advance about openings, they have a couple of bars and if I'm not mistaken may help with accommodation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Better suited here OP

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=213

Please read the charter before posting

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement