Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where you goin' city boy? - the off topic and chat thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I'm hoping to rent c5 acres off a relative, on top of my 1 acre next year, all going well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

http://www.bloodrootblades.com/

Check them out. Snazzy. Over a year waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Does anyone want to buy land in North Tipperary, just under 9 acres, it has fresh water, it has 3 acres of trees on it.

Trying to raise cash for another project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Does anyone want to buy land in North Tipperary, just under 9 acres, it has fresh water, it has 3 acres of trees on it.

Trying to raise cash for another project.

price?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

price?

Just saw this now, price is relative. I want to buy something else so make me an offer, I'm easy but not desperate .

:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You can thank me when the SHTF! :pac:

12512610_10153489928546701_7203848795802416407_n.jpg?oh=c296a08dbd7c1c7d504fa58c3f2bddfb&oe=57420EA3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Shame to fill the cistern with ice.

Could use it to smoke food ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Peyton Modern Shingle

Just bought myself a 30l bag from Lidl for €12.99. Now I just need to fill it with cool survival stuff. Oh and my new credit card just arrived... oops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just bought myself a 30l bag from Lidl for €12.99. Now I just need to fill it with cool survival stuff. Oh and my new credit card just arrived... oops?

30l is probably about right for a BOB, ours have grown to over 60l and I'm still adding stuff :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Dont you mean free money card??! Go mad!

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Dont you mean free money card??! Go mad!

I went mad once and it took a long time to sort things out, so now I know exactly how much I'm spending. Still use the cards a lot but paid off each month and not had an interest payment in over 10 years.

My madness now is buying stuff I don't really need in charity shops. This week I got 8 dog blankets, two of which my wife has taken as they are "far too good for the dogs" and another good rucksack ~ 70l. The rucksack will go with one of the BOBs so there's the option of taking a 60l holdall I use for each or repacking to the rucksack or just grabbing both. I now have a 60-70l rucksack to go with each BOB. I don't ever need to buy a rucksack again but if I see a better quality one than the ones I have now thats cheap enough I'll buy it. btw €5 would be my limit for a really good rucksack, I'm just sooo cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Other than fiction books, I've not had any luck finding anything useful to me in the charity shops. Must give another rummage around.

I must do about a dozen visits before I find anything remotely useful. After an occasional good look round I can normally spot anything thats new or changed in a quick in and out so its not like I spend much time on it. Anything remotely decent normally sticks out a mile. Its more perseverance and luck than anything else, good stuff doesn't stay on the shelves so you have to check regularly.

Just browsing the internet at lunchtime and came across this company that sells what it calls Covert Funiture, have to say I love the idea, if only we had room in the house between all the stacks of books and my wifes art materials to actually have some furniture.

I'm due to build a new large chicken shed so I might see if I can include a hidden section for supplies?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

So along with this forum, what other survivalist/prepper forums are others using? Is survivalistboards.com the main alternative or what's good online?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Tabnabs wrote: »
    So along with this forum, what other survivalist/prepper forums are others using? Is survivalistboards.com the main alternative or what's good online?

not on any other survival forum for shame :o

plenty happy with my irish survival facebook group :D
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/246023465562826/?ref=bookmarks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I'm generally on different Facebook groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

I find this a very useful and insight site covering a huge array of topics.

One day, one day... :D

96a93004fc4c1ec99181e94e9a9128e0.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/09/22/hunted-captures-you-with-its-gallows-humour-camaraderie-and-whit/

Hunted Season 2 started on C4 last night, worth a watch for those interested in these sorts of things.

• Advertisement

Living a remote life, in a very quiet corner of the world.

http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-39418054

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Living a remote life, in a very quiet corner of the world.

http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-39418054
    David particularly enjoys living alone with his family.
    "People want to know what 18 years of isolation does to you. It changes you. You have time to have more than two thoughts on any one subject. We spend months talking about just one subject because we have time to."

Seems mad living in isolation but then living any other way probably seems mad to them.

I wonder about them bringing up their young fella with only the parents and the dog for company. When he hits the teenage years, he is not going to be happy.

From what I've seen and read, it's often people who have grown up in urban or surburban lifestyle and follow their dream to live in the wilderness. The kids are brought up in this wilderness reality and learn the skills of living off the land. But their education will rarely be on par with other kids from small towns etc. and their social skills will also suffer. I think there's an argument for sending them to stay with family in a wider community for a least part of the year and let them develop into a more rounded character before they reach 18 and can decide their own future.

If anyone wants a decent EOTWAWKI read then I can recommed 'One Second After' by William R. Forstchen. A novel about a large EMP attack on the USA. Particularly chilling when you look at the map of the US and see how they would be effected and then overlay the same map on Europe and see just how screwed we'd be.

Available through your local library and I presume online too.

If anyone wants a decent EOTWAWKI read then I can recommed 'One Second After' by William R. Forstchen. A novel about a large EMP attack on the USA. Particularly chilling when you look at the map of the US and see how they would be effected and then overlay the same map on Europe and see just how screwed we'd be.

Available through your local library and I presume online too.

Also available online in the "usual" places ;)

my3cents wrote: »
    Also available online in the "usual" places ;)

Yeah, but electronic sources are no use in an EMP strike! :P

Yeah, but electronic sources are no use in an EMP strike! :P

Just as bad I got the audio version of it as well so will be listening to it until we get hit with EMP :)

In case you didn't know two other books in the series, One Year After and The Final Day.

On foot of the authors recommendation, I've ordered Alas, Babylon as the next read and look forward to more post nuclear armageddon!

Know your knives!

C9yshMjV0AAZQTC.jpg

• Advertisement

A nice short film about a "hermit" (who actually works for the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory) who has lived alone in a remote and offgrid part of Colorado for 40 years.

Advertisement