Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfit, skinny, stressed and shy.... Need a place to train

Options
  • 05-11-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm mid thirties, not really that active although I use to do sports. I haven't eaten well for the last number of years, too busy in my head to look at myself.

I'm pretty self conscious so I don't really like the big commercial gym feel and I defo need someone to help motivate me along in a gym. When I go solo I usually give up.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I'm in a period of my life that I'd like to get in shape for a happy heart and happy mind. Any suggestions on how to either buddy up in a gym or a good gym in general.

Anything at all would be good to hear, novice and beginner looking for a positive life change.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Joshua5 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm mid thirties, not really that active although I use to do sports. I haven't eaten well for the last number of years, too busy in my head to look at myself.

I'm pretty self conscious so I don't really like the big commercial gym feel and I defo need someone to help motivate me along in a gym. When I go solo I usually give up.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I'm in a period of my life that I'd like to get in shape for a happy heart and happy mind. Any suggestions on how to either buddy up in a gym or a good gym in general.

Anything at all would be good to hear, novice and beginner looking for a positive life change.

Whereabouts are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Hi Guys,

If you can't find a partner, I would still strongly advocate for you to train anyway.

If you find yourself giving up, I think a proper strength program or routine would solve this. Something like stronglifts or starting strength would help you get stronger and more proficient at the movements, and if you fix your diet, you'll improve your physique.

As a beginner, the most important thing I can suggest is to make a routine. 3x a week is good to start out with and stronglifts or starting strength will help you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

b_mac2 wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you based?

Based on the northside of dublin so I'd prefer this location if anyone had tips

If you can't find a partner, I would still strongly advocate for you to train anyway.

If you find yourself giving up, I think a proper strength program or routine would solve this. Something like stronglifts or starting strength would help you get stronger and more proficient at the movements, and if you fix your diet, you'll improve your physique.

As a beginner, the most important thing I can suggest is to make a routine. 3x a week is good to start out with and stronglifts or starting strength will help you get there.

I'd love to fix my diet, but I suffer from anxiety and to be honest this has a huge impact on if I eat, when i eat and what I eat. I hope that a health body brings a health mind to ease the anxiety. It's been a rough year so I'm looking to make a change and start 2016 of on the right footing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

II don't know if it's something you'd consider but investing in a session/sessions with a trainer. Not only would you be taught correct technique, but you'd get a program.

A lot of people go to the gym, do a few random exercises and go home. It's all very ad hoc and there's no motivation. A good program will give you a structure and a progression so that you would be able to recognise ytour progress which is motivating in itself.

The fact that you invested in a trainer also makes you less likely to just give up on going. Going to the gym because you think it's the right thing to do to get what you want and going to the gym because you want to invest in yourself, your health and your physical and mental well-being are two hugely different mindsets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Energie Fitness on Clarendon street has been excellent for me so far. First month you get 5 sessions with a personal trainer and help get you set up for reaching some goals. As someone who suffered with anxiety, depression joining a gym/going running has been the best decision I've made. The first few weeks are the hardest, then it becomes a part of your daily/weekly routine.

Best of luck OP

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Energie Fitness on Clarendon street has been excellent for me so far. First month you get 5 sessions with a personal trainer and help get you set up for reaching some goals. As someone who suffered with anxiety, depression joining a gym/going running has been the best decision I've made. The first few weeks are the hardest, then it becomes a part of your daily/weekly routine.

Best of luck OP

Do you find it helped you with your anxiety? I think it will be a good thing to focus on other than things that make me anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Do you find it helped you with your anxiety? I think it will be a good thing to focus on other than things that make me anxious.

I took up running about a year ago, I found it helped me to just free my mind from any worries that I had, focusing just on putting one foot in front of the other. Simplistic but effective. I know that this time of year with the shortening days and the darkness that comes with it always affects me. Hitting the gym 4-5 times a week gives me a lift for sure. I always go after work to just unwind from any stressful situations that the day brought. The rush of endorphins is great :D Push yourself out of that comfort zone and in no time you'll be feeling good. I'm a much less negative person.

Advertisement