Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sober November - who's in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I had read this thread initially and thought it a great idea, but was not sure if I could do it.

It's been playing on my mind, and would like to go for it,

I am working tomorrow for a couple of days with major deadlines, should be productive.

It's the boredom that gets me, already overcompensating by eating the Halloween candy! Can't afford to gain weight so..... Help....

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

One day at a time, be strong and remember we are all here for one another

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

Exercise or just get outside. This is one of the mildest Novembers I can remember, autumn doesn't get much better.

Just checking in...Well everything is still going ok,today is the day that I usually go drinking so going to play a game of online poker tonight and have a nice meal instead..Keep up the good work everyone..

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭danslevent

I have a lot of deadlines at the moment so I know I won't be drinking over the weekend, next weekend will be the real challenger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Still here. Got a bit of a goo today but held off. 20% mark tomorrow!!

Lads, believe in yourself......it's one month and trust me, ye will all feel good once ye complete this task and can walk away proud as punch.....you can do it, cause you guys are the ones who are motivating me not to drink this month as I have a lot if drinking related events coming up but I am going to stay strong for this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

Wow i didn't think this thread would take off as quick as it did!

Still going nicely i have to say and even started a day early and didn't drink on Halloween night even though it was a big night out, i decided to drive.

I've exercised 3-4 times this week, I've taken the time to read more and i've treated myself by going out for a nice steak meal mid week.

It is daunting for some, easy for others. My big hurdle will be next weekend when i have friends flying in who i would always enjoy a session with. I'm confident i will be able to keep it to non alcoholic beers, drive and not slip.

Glad to see so many doing it and being strong. The positives will out weigh the negatives very shortly, just keep it going one day at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

danslevent wrote: »
    I have a lot of deadlines at the moment so I know I won't be drinking over the weekend, next weekend will be the real challenger.

Exactly this way for me. I'll be kept busy this weekend, next weekend will be the real challenge.

I really want to drink and I am snapping the head of everyone,this will get easier..

• Advertisement

On my 4th attempt tonight I got the last 2 six packs of 0% beer ( it is November you know:D). Leaving it in the fridge just in case.

Good to see plenty still on board - well done and keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Don't think what can happen in a month, don't think what can happen in a year, just focus on the 24 hrs in front of you and do what you can do get closer to where you want to be :-)

Just a quick update I made it past yesterday god knows how it was the hardest day I have had in a long time..Still sticking with it and no intention of drinking for a long time..

Yesterday was one of the worst days personally for me in my job. Got absoloutely honking news. Came home, chose not to wallow or have a few beers but hit the gym for a couple hours, maybe a productive hour and a half and maybe 30 mins of just staring or peddling on a bike. Home for a cuppa, watch telly and straight to bed. Up bright and fresh for a bit of a run in the park trying to focus again.

Tonight i have a birthday to go to and have already scoped out where it is on. A bar that has that bavaria 0% beer on tap which is brilliant. Bring the car stay for an hour or so and then head home to get up bright and early tomorrow

I'm not craving as such and not itching for a drink but its just so normal in routine now to say, ah il have a beer or thinking about going out for dinner, oh il have a glass of wine with that!

Spending this Saturday night in because I have an essay and a presentation due next week. Thursday will be the day I will be finished so I am worried I will be so tempted to drink then...

I am a student so I don't have much money but any ideas on something I could do to celebrate being finished with all the work that doesn't involve booze? I checked around and there is not on in the cinema I want to see. Maybe bowling or something...

I left my wallet in work yesterday by mistake, so no temptation! Sounds stupid but I usually would have gotten a drink.

Work was so busy today, up early, no time to breathe, let alone think, finished late and off tomorrow, will be glad of the clear head on a day off, will even hit the gym!

Its when I am bored I find the worst, but the next 2 weeks in work is a very very busy period, the biggest of our year, plenty of really early mornings, and it's a beaut having a clear head.

Well done to those who are being challenged, it's easy for me now, not sure how my will power will do with time on my hands.

Well done everyone, I myself have a godchild to babysit and while she is fast asleep, I am wrecked so nice to take up tomorrow morning to see her energetic face with a clear head, good night and well done

Nice to wake up fresh earlier this Sunday morning!

I made it through the weekend ok just next week to worry about and if I get through that it will be a lot easier for me...Well done everyone keep it up..

Keep busy and if it gets tempting you can always think you will be half way... That ought to push you a little, or come on here for support, just don't head over to the Tesco bargains section, LOL

• Advertisement

Day 8/Week 2, either way I'm happy.

Keep it up folks

Lads, this group is really helping me cause I was offered a few shots today, and I decline citing sober November but reality is that I owe it to this group because we are all in this together, keep it up guys

Lads, this group is really helping me cause I was offered a few shots today, and I decline citing sober November but reality is that I owe it to this group because we are all in this together, keep it up guys

+1

I could have had a few earlier too but I didn't and if I'm honest one of the reasons I didn't is because I couldn't post here if I did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

+1

I could have had a few earlier too but I didn't and if I'm honest one of the reasons I didn't is because I couldn't post here if I did!

I'm thinking next week would be the perfect time for a few drinks, I'll have a busy week in work done and dusted and there's something I've lined up Saturday night. I don't want to let the group down though so I won't cave that easily :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 New Ice Age

Just read this thread.

Decided to stop drinking until around mid December. Starting (and including) today! :)

Well done everyone, sure reading this thread beats reading the papers as here it's all positives :-) keep it going ...

It is my housemates birthday on the 16th (a Monday, ugh!) and she is having a bit of a shindig in ours. My resolve not to drink will be heightened because I have an early morning the next day.

I am glad I will have the excuse of having class the next day to tell people when they ask why I am not drinking, it is easier than explaining I am off alcohol for a month because I like it too much.

Enjoyed a lunch yesterday with friends. Drove and had a foreign 0% beer. Was grand, really enjoyed the company and one friend is also doing sober November which then made the others curious / a bit jealous.

I'm having a really bad time in work. Really getting me down and I've below zero motivation at present. This might be a tough week sobriety wise but I've put a training plan in place and going to make plans with the wife for a nice meal out. I'll drive of course ðŸ‘

How we doing folks , doesn't matter what has happen ,

Mr Confucius said this

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

• Advertisement

I went to a pub quiz last night and didn't drink, I had an apple and pomegrante flavoured Appletiser, with a slice of lime. It was so delicious, I would recommend it if you find yourself in the pub. My friend started sober November when I did, so she had the same :)

Also, my pants feel a bit looser. Think my body is reacting well to the cessation of the constant flow of wine I was putting into it....

Advertisement