Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NLI decipher help

Options
  • 03-11-2015 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Looking for the name of sponsor for Francis (LHS - nearer the end of page) baptised 13 Oct 1851. Anne and next name looks to be beginning with D & ending with a T, maybe Driscot?

I was given a date of baptism for Catherine b. 16 Jan 1849. My contact had transcribed the date from the local parish register many years ago. However, I can only find a few records in Dec 1849. Same parents as Francis - Pat/Patrick Marnane & Kate/Catherine Ryan.

*According to Forebears website, Marnane is 567,448th most common name!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

The symbol after Anne's name looks like a ditto symbol [unlike the ampersand in the sponsors for other entries]. Can't make out the last name - could it be some latin term?

I've never seen McCarthy spelt McKarthy before.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Yes, I haven't seen that spelling of McCarthy before.

It is rather odd that there were so many baptisms with only one godparent in this parish. All three of Francis' siblings would appear to have only a single sponsor - a female!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

montgo wrote: »
    Looking for the name of sponsor for Francis (LHS - nearer the end of page) baptised 13 Oct 1851. Anne and next name looks to be beginning with D & ending with a T, maybe Driscot?...

*According to Forebears website, Marnane is 567,448th most common name!

Agree on D and t - the second letter might not be an "r" as there is a curl in it that is not in other "r"s.... Could it be Ducket?

Dr. Des Marnane is a regular writer on Tipp families/history- always a great read.

*According to Forebears website there are almost twice as many Marnanes in Ireland as my lot (who seemed to prefer warmer climes, where after arrival they apparently bred like rabbits!)

Thx Pedro. I will check if Dr. Des has done his own family tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Sponsor may be Anne Driscoll, with a single l. Single or double l,t,n,r, etc, is something that hasonly been standardised in the last 150 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Late to the party but I also thought Driscoll.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Late to the party but I also thought Driscoll.

I agree it’s a more logical answer, but OTOH there is a definite and confidently crossed “t” as the last letter.

Looking at Griffiths for Tipp. South Riding there are Ducketts but they are too far away, in Clonmel. Only ten O’Driscoll / Driscoll , no Anne, but there are a couple in Tipp Town (Carronreddy) and another at Clonmore South, which is between Cashel & Dundrum. The others are too far away (Carrick).

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

Even later to the party, but looks like Drewet to me, the writing is spread out like the 'Anne'. Could it be a way of spelling Drewitt, Druitt or similar?

Thanks everybody for your input.
    Driscoll/O'Driscoll might be the best bet as there were O'Driscolls in Tipp town (only 5 miles away). Drewit/Druit/Ducket all look good for the word but as they were few if any of this family name in SW Tipp at the time, it seems unlikely.

Advertisement