Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Fawning Of Rugby

Options
  • 11-10-2015 3:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

When did this start.
    Years ago you never had such a love in by the media for rugby.
    To me it has been and always will be a elitest sport, does in no way represent the common man in this country.
    The ancestors of many people supporting it today would turn in there graves if they saw there offspring supporting it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Who cares if the common man likes it? Or if it represents him?

When did this start.
    To me it has been and always will be a elitest sport, does in no way represent the common man in this country.
    The ancestors of many people supporting it today would turn in there graves if they saw there offspring supporting it.

Living up to your name there fella

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The common man has the Queens Football.The elite are entitled to their day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Some people have a very low opinion of their ancestors.

I doubt if they all had giant chips on their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

It started when you got good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Rugby is pure ****e. I respond by not watching it or caring what other people are doing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

kneemos wrote: »
    The common man has the Queens Football.The elite are entitled to their day out.

Tell that to the common people of Limerick :pac:

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    Rugby is pure ****e. I respond by not watching it or caring what other people are doing.

They don't deserve a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Level of uninformed bull**** is off the scale.

It's not the 1950's anymore. Clubs are starting all around the country, played by people of all backrounds who play week in week out. The whole country is not based in D4!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

When did this start.

I can't tell if this is meant to be an unpopular opinion intended to stir shyte, or if it really is evidence of someone who is simply ill-informed.

Either way, the whole thing is just wrong, on so many levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

When did this start.

Are you trying to make yourself into some sort of vague celtic\gaelic elitist, by refusing to accept this foreign sport?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Not one person i know over the age of 40 in the countryside supports this sport, perhaps because they were brought up with the history of the english landlord class in this country.
    Seems a shame in the cities some people forget there history and turn into west brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Jonjo you're some langer biy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Elitist?

The Irish team that played against Italy had represented 11 counties of the island of Ireland. Much more representative of the country than football.

And unlike soccer, where you have to travel to England to see top Irish players compete at club level, you can travel to the RDS or Thomond park every week to watch the Irish rugby team play at club level.

Ancestors of many people? What does that mean. In fairness, most ancestors would spin in their graves if they knew Ireland had a soccer team. Rule 42 anyone?
    Not one person i know over the age of 40 in the countryside supports this sport, perhaps because they were brought up with the history of the english landlord class in this country.
    Seems a shame in the cities some people forget there history and turn into west brits.

The irony is these same people are out supporting Man City or Chelsea at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Rugby Elitism.

From the Years training on a mucky hillside we didnt own above tallaght under one light with no clubhouse or showers to the progression of a flat bit of pitch in firhouse we dont own under the same light , still with no clubhouse or showers all the while playing on a council pitch in Tymon park using the school nearby for changing and showering.

Soak in the elitism bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I know plenty of over 40s that are rugby mad, I think that says more about the people you know than the sport JonJo.

Stheno wrote: »
    Tell that to the common people of Limerick :pac:

Had three Limerickerians for breakfast,spat out the nuts.

Funnily enough I'm from a rural part of he country and a lot of the biggest supporters of rugby are over 40 with many been GAA heads as well. Funny that hey!

I don't see many English landlords around rural Ireland these days either!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Over 40? In the cities? West Brits?

Oh, not one person you know...

Well, that's ok then, for a minute there I thought you were speaking objectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Type that as Gaeilge. Ye feckin' west brit.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Things change. I'm sure those same ancestors would be turning in their graves at a lot of what we do.

I still see rugby as an elitist sport, but I know that's based on what rugby was 20 years ago more than it is now. The popularity of the sport is based on the team not being as bad as we were previously: we're winning things (albeit the six nations, but we may get past the quarter finals of the world cup) which means more support and more people playing it. So it'll be less and less elitist which is a good thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Take a look at the crowds that attend these rugby matches, middle class west brits who i bet never went to a Gaa match in there life.
    And then the media making out everyone will be glued to it, yeah maybe in D4 land but most of the country dont give a toss nor want to hearabout it everyday.

eeguy wrote: »
    Elitist?

The Irish team that played against Italy had represented 11 counties of the island of Ireland. Much more representative of the country than football.

And unlike soccer, where you have to travel to England to see top Irish players compete at club level, you can travel to the RDS or Thomond park every week to watch the Irish rugby team play at club level.

Ancestors of many people? What does that mean. In fairness, most ancestors would spin in their graves if they knew Ireland had a soccer team. Rule 42 anyone?

The irony is these same people are out supporting Man City or Chelsea at the weekend.

A lot of English people play for the Irish soccer team. Look at the joke of people calling Jack Grealish a turncoat. The lad is English with English parents not really much of a turncoat as it turned out!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That's some chip on your shoulder. I suppose your butchery of the English language in your thread title is in revenge for the famine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Take a look at the crowds that attend these rugby matches, middle class west brits who i bet never went to a Gaa match in there life.
    And then the media making out everyone will be glued to it, yeah maybe in D4 land but most of the country dont give a toss nor want to hearabout it everyday.

I'm sorry, are you from the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Fcks sake. There are lots of things my ancestors would be turning in their grave for, but that does not mean they are right.
    Not going to mass.
    Having sex outside marriage.
    Not working in a field.

Times move on, people should do what they want without worrying about what their god fearing granny would think. Dont like it - just ignore them rather then getting all het up about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Very few Catholics from province of Ulster have played for the Ireland rugby team so it is mainly a Protestant sport in Ulster though I don't mind it as it is the N.Ireland soccer team who have the hooligan fan base.
    However there are Catholics who play for the Rainey old boys club team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I heard a rumour the game (along with the game against Poland later) is being shown in the Three Arena, is that just bs or is it indeed the case?

Can't find any link to it and the Three Arena only answer phones Mon to Fri between and 2pm and 2.10pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

And in other news: people who are interested in stuff attend stuff. Luckily, stuff still not compulsory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement