Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Extraordinary Books

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭wreade1872

New Item:
    The Story of O by Anne Desclos (1954)
    The quintessential S&M story, although perhaps a little more theatrical than reality. There is an entire group or society involved in this, a bit like in Ninth Gate or Eyes Wide Shut.
    I have to say that it was a lot less uncomfortable a read than i expected. I mean even Fanny Hill was a difficult read for me but this was much less so.
    I think the main difference is the consensualness of the proceedings. O isn't tricked, intimidated or emotionally manipulated into agreeing with what is done to her. She seems intelligent, stable, financially independent, and is even shown to be something of a predator herself on occasion.
    The sex in this book is blunt but not graphic, or perhaps graphic but not detailed.
    Its not about sex its about control and need. Sometimes O's suppression of self for something outside herself takes on an almost religious nature. Its a really interesting character piece.
    Also now that i think about it, it's also not about pain. Much of S&M revolves around getting pleasure from experiencing pain but that never happens to O.
    She likes the pain inflicted on her only in so much as it makes her feel like she is under another persons control. Its a subtle but important difference between this and other S&M stories.
    O's journey of self discovery, for want of a better term, is complete by about the 3/4 stage of the book. After that it felt like there wasn't really anywhere else for O to go.
    The story ends abruptly and unfinished with only a note to reveal O's possible fate.
    However i think it was a good idea to end it then as the plot looked like veering into some questionable areas which would have undermined the clearly consensual nature of the rest of the story. [4/5]

Old Item:
    Scoop by Evelyn Waugh (1938)
    A fake reporter reports on a fake war. Journalistic satire. Its lot shorter than you might expect, or at least feels so because not a lot happens and it felt a bit pointless. It certainly wasn't as funny as i expected and the main character doesn't really get involved in events to any significant degree. Its ok but nothing to write home about ;) . [3/5]

New Items:
    Penguin Island by Anatole France (1908)
    A history book about a fictional place. The country in question has a really funny origin and sarcasm and social commentary are what this book is all about.
    It starts off in an almost biblical kind of style and progresses quickly through the ages. The later times are longer and more detailed, clearly being a satirical version of real events. Not being a big history fan i know i missed a lot of the jokes but it doesn't matter much.
    Even someone like me can still enjoy it from its comedic and social satire angle regardless of my ignorance of french history.
    This is just a really good book with a lot of separate little stories in it. I prefer the early parts a bit more than the modern times but it improves again towards the end and is quite good overall. [4/5]

Kubla Kahn by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1797)
    Poetry fragment about a valley in which Kubla built a sort of summer home. I'm guessing its really symbolic as i didn't get much from it. [2/5]

Old Item:
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (1944)
    A biography following a woman's life during the Restoration period, when Charles II became king of england.
    Not all of the story is told from Amber's point of view there are various other characters mostly real people, some of it even from Charles II's viewpoint.
    Amber is quite a dislikeable character which is a good thing as it makes her interesting, plus her personality is a creation of the times in which she lived and is necessary for her success in the male dominated time in which the story is set.
    There is a BBC documentary call 'Harlots, Heroines and Housewives' talking about the various roles woman had during the Restoration and this book covers all of them.
    Its a great historical/romance piece of storytelling and my score for it would be higher if it didn't feel a little disjointed in places due to the multiple points of view. I understand it was edited down from a much larger first draft. [3/5]

New Item:
    Green Mansions by (1904)
    Well that was disappointing. This is a sort of supernatural romance, kinda, maybe preternatural would be more apt. Anyway its about a man who finds a forest in Guyana said by locals to be haunted. I can't say much more about it without spoiling the story, especially since there is so little plot.
    I was really into it at first burning quickly through the first 9 or so chapters. It seemed really compelling, but after a while i realized the reason i was reading so quickly, was because of the thin plot. I felt compelled to read a lot because that was the only way to get any sense of accomplishment story-wise as so little was actually happening.
    Overall its well written but far too verbose and i was disappointed with it after a good start.
    Also the romance in it became a little uncomfortable for me at times. Modern sci-fi often points out the dubious morality of Kirk's romances in the 70's Star-Trek show and those opinions came into my mind several times during this read. [3/5]

Old Items:
    Encounter at Dawn by Arthur C.Clarke (1953)
    Said to have been the inspiration for the opening of 2001 A Space Odyssey this is a short story about a primitive species meeting advanced aliens. Its really got nothing much of interest. [2/5]

Child of the Phalanstery by Grant Allen (1884)
    Short story about a utopian society and how they maintain their perfect system. A nice little dark tale. [3/5]

New Item:
    Aepyornis Island by H.G. Wells (1894)
    Short funny tale. A man gets marooned on a desert island with a fossil egg he was collecting. Aepynoris is an extinct bird something like an ostrich. Can't say much about it other than H.G.Wells is a surprisingly good comedian :). [4/5]

The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares (1940)
    My rating for this is higher than my reading experience warrants, this is because i liked the story a lot despite the awful translation job by 'Ruth Simms' (see this great little article for more details http://anagrammatically.com/2011/09/18/the-invention-of-morel-redacted/ ). I'm convinced therefore that i would have given this score if the translation had been good.
    Anyway this is a relatively short novel about a man on the run who decides to hide out on an island said to be the source of a deadly disease. On the island he finds some strange rooms and odd people turn up. It's like the show 'Lost' in a way, sort of.
    It wasn't too long before i figured out what was happening. However the story managed to pass that point and still be interesting which shows how good it is, as most mystery tales collapse after the reveal.
    This is a terrible translation as i said and unfortunately i don't think there is a better one available but even so i liked it a lot. [5/5]

Old Item:
    Strange Case Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (1886)
    I really don't know what people see in this. So many adaptations and versions from so little a source. This is simply an interesting idea, thats it, thats the only thing it has going for it. It's not spectacularly written and not that much actually happens in it. Its just a short story who's premise has been so overused that i can't imagine what interest the original could still hold. [2/5]

New Item:
    The Front Page by Ben Hecht & Charles MacArthur (1928)
    Comedy play, unfortunately i couldn't get a hold of the plays script, so had to settle for the film adaptation.

The Front Page (1931)
    I believe this is close if not identical to the original play. An ace reporter wants to get married and leave the business. However his manipulative boss and his old reporter instincts conspire to prevent his retirement.
    Its pretty decent, although a comedy i'd say it borders on dark comedy. It does a good job of satirizing the politicians aswell as the newspaper business. Although i thought the main characters conflict between his love and hate of being a reporter could have been a little smoother. He lurches from one to the other a little too quickly at times.
    Also the crosstalk which is used to show the chaos of the news business can be a little annoying at times. [3/5]

His Girl Friday (1940)
    The famous adaptation in which the main reporter is now female. You would think having the ace reporter be a woman would be quite progressive and in a way it is, BUT in others ways its kind of sexist. The roll of the manipulative boss is extended somewhat and he is now not only the boss but the reporters ex-husband, trying to prevent her not only from leaving the paper but also from getting remarried.
    While the fact she can outdo the men at her job seems feminist, the fact she can be so manipulated by her husband/boss makes it feel chauvinist. The previous version had much more of an internal conflict than this one.
    Apart from those changes and issues its the same script as the original version. Oh and there is even more crosstalk in this which can get even more annoying.
    Overall i still prefer this to the original but only slightly. [3/5]

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (1818)
    Well what can i say its Frankenstein of course its good,actually one thing i can say is it's a LOT darker than other classics like Dracula. It also has so much more to say than almost any other classic i can think of. It's operating on a completely different level to other books of the time.
    This is such an oddly modern book in many ways and the so-called monster is so far removed from the film versions its quite amazes me how we got from one to the other.
    The structure of the story and Victor's reaction to his creation might both be a tad strange to a modern audience but its an amazing story especially when compared to others of its time period. [4/5]

New Items:
    Childe Rowland by Joseph Jacobs (1892)
    A really nice violent little fairytale about a young man who goes into fairyland to rescue his brothers and sister from the Fairy King. Based on a scottish legend i believe, elements of this appear in a lot places including shakespeares 'King Lear' and the discworld novel 'The Wee Free Men'. [4/5]

Freeland, a Social Anticipation by Theodor Hertzka (1890)
    This is a utopian fiction written by an economist and based on the idea of all private property remaining private but any property or machines used for making money becoming public property usable by anyone. Also all profits are divided among the workers fairly evenly, effectively every person is self-employed. Not being an economist i can't say where the flaws in the premise are.
    Still though there is a fair amount of extra things thrown in to keep it interesting. It starts off with a new nation being founded in africa and there is an amazing amount of detail regarding the travel through africa and the various countries and peoples encountered.
    There's some romance thrown in, a bit of a war, it also jumps 20 years into the future so there are minor elements of sci-fi and it finishs off with a big parliamentary debate. Which is just as exciting as it sounds, but i also found it fairly interesting especially a theory about overpopulation which i hadn't thought of before.
    Anyway, the various voices and view points in this coupled with the level of detail made it quite good despite its length.
    Oh, one thing i found odd was the sexism. This new society gives women equal voting rights, they can work in any profession and they receive a stipend which keeps them financially independent even when married, so far so good. Then the author states that any woman who does a job other than nurse or teacher is socially frowned upon. The fact the author is sexist is not surprising given the time in which this was written, but it is odd that he could maintain his sexism even while creating an equal society under the law.
    However the one major indefensible flaw in the story is its smugness, literally nothing goes wrong in the entire book, everything is far too easy, although that is not unexpected as this is essentially an advertising campaign.
    So this is a long, economics based, utopian, philosophical, documentary kind of book. In fact fans of non-fiction might enjoy it more than others. Maybe i was just in the right kind of mood or something but i still liked it. [4/5]

Moby Dick by Herman Melville (1839)
    So overall this is quite decent as long as your not expecting a story. Seriously anyone who tells you this is some high seas adventure story should be shot.
    There is a plot in there somewhere but you'll have to wade through a lot of whale biology, mythology, symbolism and history lessons, in order to find the story elements.
    It starts off a lot funnier than i expected and i certainly liked some of it. There is an entire chapter dedicated to the significance of the color white, which i thought was really interesting.
    However all the whale biology stuff i found quite tiresome and since i was expecting a story these sections were doubly annoying. [3/5]

New Items:
    The Freeshooter by Carl Maria von Weber (1821)
    Faustian opera. A land has the strange tradition that a man must make a good shot in hunting in order to prove his worth. This leads to a man being tempted into a faustian deal in order to insure being able to marry his love. Obviously i just read the text as its a german opera but it wasn't bad plot wise. [3/5]

The Golden Cockerel by Alexander Pushkin (1834)
    Adaptation of an Irving fairytale, its ok mostly because its odd and leaves you with a lot of questions. I wonder how close it is to the original. [3/5]

Old Item:
    Riallaro, the archipelago of exiles by John Macmillan Brown (1901)
    In the vein of Gulliver's Travels the protagonist journeys to a fog bound archipelago and discovers various islands each run on different philosophies.
    There are four or so major islands, run by what i would describe as liars, communists, warmongers and sensualists. Then each of these islands takes anyone they deem mad and sends them to another island filled with people who share their madness or extremist views.
    So you have islands populated by nothing but anarchists, another by journalists, others by religious extremists of one kind or another, one filled with book critics another by people who value pedigree above all else, another by people who will always argue the opposite of what you say, others who will always agree with whoever seems the most popular, another with those who think they can talk to the dead etc.
    That last one is one of my favorites, the community has divided into two groups the traditionalists who build creepy castles to attract ghosts and the modernists who say you don't need all that stuff and ghosts are perfectly happy turning up in a modern kitchen and communicating by knocking on the underside of tables, provided you only ask questions everyone knows the answers too. Its funny stuff.
    Not as well characterized as Gulliver's Travels but lots of ideas and it also has a certain internal logic, theres a fairly reasonable explanation why this place exists and how such weird communities manage to survive. So nothing as sci-fi-ish as laputa or liliput. Overall i just really enjoyed it.
    Also theres a second-part or sequel which i'm definitely going to read at some point its called Limanora, the island of progress. [4/5]

New Items:
    Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving (1819)
    A funny weird short tale. I'm sure everyone knows the story, man falls asleep for 20 years. While it is funny and mildly interesting it doesn't do much with the idea. Winkle does so little with his life that missing 20 years makes little difference to him. [3/5]

The Wolf of Kabul: issue 1 by D.C. Thompson (1964)
    The first short story featuring Bill Sampson, a non-military fixer for the british government. In this he has to stop an impending attack on a british outpost after too rival tribes join forces. [3/5]

Old Item:
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)
    So i just reread this as it is being covered by hppodcraft.com. I don't recall how long its been since my last reading but it must be awhile as i got a lot more from it this time than i remember.
    Also i'm reading this now in a post LOeG world, so 'Alan Moore's' version of Mina made me look at certain things in a new light making it an even more interesting read.
    There are still some issues with regard the amount of coincidence in the story, everyone involved is so connected. Also i thought on previous reads the ending was anti-climactic, although that didn't bother me as much this time.
    I also have to say i don't remember the rules of vampirism being this confused. Exactly what abilities Dracula has and when he can use them could have been made a little clearer.
    By the way Dracula apparently has no issue with sunlight, doesn't bother him at all, which was news to me i hadn't recalled that fact. Although he can't transform into a bat or mist etc. during daylight hours, thats the only issue he has with sunlight. I guess the sunlight destroying vampires must be a movie thing.
    Theres a lot more humor than i remember in the book, plus Lucy's part is much more drawn out and more moving than i could recall. I also appreciated the suddenness with which all the pieces came together and how quick the story moves after the Lucy section.
    Finally the amount of small details, quotes and such which seem to be pop-culture references for the time, as well as just the overall level of detail and care which has been put into the story comes through much more on subsequent reads.
    Its a dense book although it might not feel so on first glance. It really is a classic and still stands up to the test of time. [4/5]

New Item:
    Orlando Furioso by Ludovico Ariosto (1532)
    Epic italian poem, featuring knights, damsels, magic and the occasional monster. Its not so much a single story as an entire library of them all mixed together. Set against the backdrop of the Moors invading France. This gives the work a lot more cohesion than other epics like the Faerie Queene.
    The author does a pretty good job of reminding you who's who and whats been happening, whenever he switches characters. This helps a lot and i wasn't often confused about which character was which.
    The best thing about this is the moral greyness of it all. It really is almost 'Game of Thrones' in places. Heroes lie, make bad deals to save their own skin, kill hundreds of soldiers or farmers, and in one intance tried to rape some woman who they just rescued.
    I do have to say it has a LOT less attempted sexual assaults than the Faerie Queene, but a lot more consensual sex. It also has less monsters and magical creatures than Spenser's work but i like that, it means that when things do get strange it has more of an impact.
    A few minor issues, one is the lists of famous people rammed in to the work here and there, these are only of interest to people of the day or historical scholars, but are easily skippable.
    The other thing that can annoy is the structure, most of the switches between character are fine but occasionally it happens at an exciting moment and instead of hearing what happens next your forced to get through a completely unrelated plot before getting back to the action.
    Also this is a direct sequel to the unfinished 'Orlando Innamorata' and while the version i read contained a quick summary of events from that work i still felt confused at the start and on occasions when it refers back to previous events from Innamorata.
    Overall despite not being able to read it in its native language, its REALLY good. There's just so much in here and some of it is just the right amount of morally gray for a modern audience to appreciate. Oh and there's some kick ass females in here aswell. [5/5]

Notes: I read the 1831 verse translation by William Stewart Rose. However there are a small number of pieces missing in that translation. I mean there was this guy spying on the queen who was having sex with a midget and then for some inexplicable reason ;), Rose starts skipping lines.
    Anyway the missing pieces (which arn't all naughty) i was able to find in the earlier 1591 translation by John Harrington. That translation is harder to find on the net, the audio is surprisingly available on LibraVox, but i also was able to get the text from Lulu.com. You have to sign up but they don't ask for a credit card to download.
    If i'd have had access to the Harrington translation earlier i probably would have just read all of that one it seems pretty good and it was written only 60 years after the original.

Old Items:
    Greek myths.
    I can't rate these like normal literature but i thought i'd mentioned them anyway. My personal favorite method to experience greek myth is letting 'Dael Kingsmill' tell them to me .
    She has a mythology vlog, formerly on GeekandSundry, now on her own channel MonarchsFactory. She's covered several myths referenced in the League comics including:
    Tiresias the Blind seer
    Seven Against Thebes
    Heracles
    Aeneas and the Founding of Britain

also she's covered a couple of fairytales referenced in LOeG:
    Bluebeard
    The Snow Queen

New Items:
    The Lake Superior Water Gods by Charles M. Skinner (1896)
    Just some short notes on Native American myth regarding Lake Superior. [2/5]

The Country of the Blind by H.G.Wells (1904)
    Short story examining the adage 'in the country of the blind the one-eyed man is king'. Things really don't go as planned. I found this to be quite a disturbing tale. It has a sort of invasion-of-the-bodysnatchers kind of vibe to it. I like it. :D [4/5]

The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill (1930)
    Well that was awful... don't get me wrong i kind of enjoyed myself watching this version but i enjoyed it because of the performances . They really tried their best but the source material is still terrible.
    The story is fine, a group of on the run criminals start a town with hookers and gambling. Things progress and they get rid of all the rules, except the 'paying your bill' rule of course.
    However it does that awful opera thing of singing speech, but there's little to no tune or rhythm to it. There isn't a single memorable song in the entire production.
    Overall severely disappointed considering how much i love the 'Threepenny Opera'. [2/5]

Old Items:
    The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson (1844)
    As i mention last post you can watch 'Dael Kingsmill' tell this fairytale but its also long and detailed enough to read. Its insane but in a good way and seems like several tales stitched together. The little robber girl being particularly memorable :) . [3/5]

The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson (1837)
    This has got to be the most depressing fairytale i've ever heard of. Its awful, insult is added to injury as the mermaids sisters also suffer when they try to help her out. Do not read this if you like the disney version as you'll be scarred for life ;) .They pretend to tack on a happy ending but even that feels like more of a punishment. [3/5]

• Advertisement

New Item:
    The Tartar Steppe by Dino Buzzati (1940)
    This reminds me a little of Catch-22.. a little. Its shows the absurd side of military life somewhat. However this shows not the horror of war but rather the horror of peace.
    The story is about a solider posted to a barracks which guards an area no one ever expects to be attacked. The place is so isolated and runs on such strict rules and regulations its practically a prison. Some people suffer from what in prisons is termed 'institutionalization', unable to find a place or function outside of the routine of the barracks.
    Mostly though this is a story about trying to find a purpose in life and how time can slip by so quickly while your waiting for that purpose to find you.
    Its kind of haunting and a bit depressing but it'll stay with you for a while. Also its quite a quick read and is just the right length i'd say. [4/5]

Old Item:
    The Castle by Franz Kafka (1926)
    I rated this when i read it but am doing this review much later and in hindsight it seems better than the rating i gave. It is unfinished but that doesn't matter much due to the nature of the story.
    A man arrives in a village which stands in the shadow of a castle. He seems to be some sort of revolutionary who wants to get into the castle to fight the System and stand up the The Man etc. He assumes the people in the castle are afraid of him or at least deem him a threat but your never sure if this is the case or whether they even know he exists.
    Its the original dystopian bureaucratic nightmare story. It has an amazing atmosphere to it. Its greatest strength however is the constant change of perspective. The nature of each character changes a lot during the story as the protagonist learns more about them. Nothing and no one is ever what it seems. [3/5]

New Item:
    Lolotte et Fanfan by Francois Guillaume Ducray-Duminil (1787)
    aka Ambrose and Eleanor.
    This is a kids book and i mean that in the worst way, its the kind of book designed for kids, not the kind of book kids would actually like. Its uses a simple writing style and is definitely supposed to educational and morally instructive. Whats the word i'm looking for.... insipid, thats it.
    The story is about a man who gets washed up on an island and finds two children have been previously abandoned there. Then you have various incredibly convenient adventures. There's a lot of god-thanking which there should be, because the plot needs some very active hands of fate to get where its going.
    Its by no means terrible and its a fairly quick read but if you want my advice don't bother. [2/5]

Old Item:
    The Kindly Ones by Anthony Powell (1962)
    This is a drama/comedy/biography sort of thing full of interesting characters and funny moments. The only way to describe it more would be to describe individual incidents which would be spoilers. If you like 'Downtown Abbey' or 'Jeeves and Wooster', that sort of thing then you might like this.
    This is book 6 in a series of 12. Its well written but doesn't quite make me want to read all the other 11, but thats just me. [3/5]

New Item:
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (1899)
    I had great reservations about reading this. From what i absorbed about it from popular culture i was expecting something really dark, gritty and unpleasant to read.
    I could not have been more wrong. There's a level of absurdity and unreality in this which keeps things from getting too depressing.
    The story is that some people are stuck on a boat in london waiting for the tide to change and so one of them tells a story to pass the time. The story is about a time when the protagonist worked in africa for the terrible ivory trade and how he met a great and terrible man.
    There are few books i've read which have left me with so many questions and i mean that in a good way. Even if you accept the bare facts at face value so much of the story takes place in the storytellers head. Its all opinion and conjecture.
    It reminds me a lot of Lovecraft's writing in both its fantastic descriptions and the fact that so much is left to the imagination of the reader. Its really amazing that this was written in 1899 as it feels far more modern than other books i've read from those times.
    Its not too long either but might be a bit highbrow for some, it took all my concentration to read and fully understand and even then i'm sure a reread or two would be rewarded.
    Oh and did i mention its descriptive writing, well i'm going to again anyway as its darkly beautiful. [4/5]

Old Item:
    Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter (1984)
    I have a feeling this will work even better on a reread. Its still good first time but its level of weird changes a bit too rapidly. Anything goes in a story but generally you adjust to how weird a story is and can deal easily with whatever it throws at you. However in this I was caught offguard a few times and had a hard time getting to grips with how strange things got.
    The other minor quibble is related to the first, it doesn't go were you expect. What i mean is i was expecting a longer story, involving more locations and then the carpet got pulled from under me. Both of these problems I guess are more my issues than the books.
    Anyway this is a tale set at the turn of the 20th century. A reporter is interviewing a trapeze artist who claims her stage wings are real, (its a tiny bit like that John Travolta film 'Michael'). He decides to travel in disguise with the circus as it tours Russia.
    Some knowledge of the late 1800's in terms of politics and social upheaval would help but isn't essential.
    Its a very unique story and not something you'll ever forget. [4/5]

New Item:
    Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin (1903)
    Well written tale about a poor but precocious teen girl. She goes to live with her aunts who are going to pay for her further education. Its heartwarming and endearing but by half-way i started to worry it wasn't really going anywhere. This worry was completely justified by the end.
    Although Rebecca ages and there are some changes to her situation you can't really say her character advances much and by the end you still arn't sure what if anything she will accomplish with her life.
    There were some very interesting background characters, a female teacher determined to help Rebecca and develop her budding writing talent and a creepy older man determined to.. well we're never quite sure what he intends which is a pity.
    Overall decent but not enough sense of progress for me. [3/5]

Old Item:
    Mother London by Michael Moorcock (1988)
    This is a sort of biography of multiple characters as their lives in london interact. On a minor note all of the characters suffer from mental issues due to being psychic. I say this is a minor note as being a bit psychic certainly hasn't done any of them any good and doesn't play a very large role in the story.
    Its very well written with very well rounded characters. I will say i did get confused among some of the minor characters, the story jumps back and forth through time a lot and you could say there are a lot of moving parts.
    I'm sure some familiarity with london and its history would be beneficial but i still liked it despite my lack of background knowledge.
    Its also quite long and might reward multiple reads as there is a lot to dig through. [4/5]

New Item:
    The Land That Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1918)
    aka Caspak #1.
    A mixed bag. The first half of this is like the 'Hunt for Red October', i liked those bits overall. I also like the introduction to the island and the female character is good most of the time. There is an interestingly weird thing happening with the various tribes encountered which i also liked although i'm sure it will be more fully explained in future parts.
    On the other hand it is pulp, the characters are only shown in broad strokes, there are major coincidences and Deus Ex Macina's. Also several incidents seem to happen multiple times.
    Some elements are also clearly taken from a previous Burroughs story, 'Cave Girl' which i enjoyed more than this. [3/5]

Old Items:
    Roadtown by Edgar Chambless (1910)
    This is another utopian novella thing but its an amazing idea. Imagine a city built in a single long line, connected with underground rail. The author lays out this plan which seems really do-able. This isn't a very long read and its one of the most startlingly simple and original ideas i've ever heard. [3/5]

Utopia Limited by Gilbert & Sullivan (1893)
    The first G&S opera i ever watched or rather listened to as i couldn't find one to watch. I also read along as i have a bad ear for music especially if there are a lot of people singing and there are a LOT of singers in this production.
    The story is about an island nation, Utopia. The princess and several other women have just come back from school in england and its decided to make the country a limited liability company so they can borrow as much as they like without ever having to pay it back if things go wrong.
    Its very funny satire and i liked it a lot more than i expected. [3/5]

New Items:
    Paris in the Twentieth Century by Jules Verne (1863)
    Do mine eyes deceive me or is this an actual good Verne story, i was beginning to think they were a myth (except for 20,000) but no this is actually really good.
    A view of the far dystopian future of 1960, at least dystopian from the protagonists point of view but he specializes in latin poetry so its a little hard to sympathize ;).
    People these days are more interested in science and making money than wars or poetry, and the music just sounds like noise, not like the music we had in my day etc. etc.
    Its quite a funny book, a dark comedy almost. The protagonist is only 16 and he's a poet so its not surprising he's having a hard time dealing with the real world. I really liked the dystopian view of literature, its not that books are banned however its just that the classics are wanted by so few people that nobody sells them anymore, they've died out naturally unlike in most dystopia's like Farhenheit-451.
    There's a lot to like about this and its not too long and has just the right mix of story to scientific vision. [4/5]

The People That Time Forgot by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1918)
    aka Caspak #2.
    A little bit worse than the first part but not by a lot. It at least has less story and so makes itself feel shorter although there is about the same number of pages.
    Starts out well as the story switches from the last characters to a rescue team coming to find them. However it quickly devolves into the usual princess and warrior kind of story Burroughs is famous (or infamous) for. Another seemingly strong female character who ends up being pretty much useless. Theres a little bit of political intrigue between the various tribes of Caspak but it doesn't really go anywhere and the story ends rather abruptly. [3/5]

Old Item:
    The Warden by Anthony Trollope (1855)
    A courtroom drama more or less. Its based on real events and shows a legal case from multiple points of view. It doesn't actually spend any time in the court instead you see how the various people involved and the press react to it. Its nicely moraly grey and is well written and not too long. [3/5]

New Item:
    The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin (1972)
    I don't know about the supposed satire people associate with this book, i read it as a straight up horror story. I knew the premise going in but wasn't sure how it would play out.
    This is very good, Levins style lends itself well to drawing the mundane. Everything is very clear and easy to picture. Although his scene switching can take a little getting used to. The scene changes being rather abrupt.
    Overall its shorter than I expected and it leaves you with plenty of room to speculate and think about the story. I like it and i'm glad i have another couple of Levins books on my to-do list. [4/5]

Out of Time's Abyss by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1918)
    aka Caspak #3.
    The last part of the Caspak trilogy and by far the best. It gives the final details of the strange evolution of life on Caspak. Which is both weirder, grosser and cooler than i expected. Its also far more horror based than the first two parts. [4/5]

Old Item:
    Mount Analogue by Rene Daumal (1952)
    A strange one this. A man has determined there must be a huge mountain on the earth so large it bends light around ti which is why it hasn't been discovered yet. He assembles a varied group of people to scale the mountain. I liked, if not understood, what there was of it but it is unfinished so it doesn't really feel like it accomplished much. [3/5]

New Items:
    Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling (1902)
    Slightly dated especially in one story which uses some racist language. However overall really delightful kid stories explaining the origin of things, like the rhino's skin and the alphabet, but in the most insane and fantastical way.
    Great rhythm, strange but very good use of language, comes with pictures and bits of poetry, its really very good. [4/5]

Ayesha by H.Rider Haggard (1905)
    The sequel to She, this is quite a long read and i was expecting a lot of messing about before getting to the main plot this wasn't the case however, it jumped quite quickly into the action and there really isn't any wasted pages.
    I love the characters, the hero comes across as kind of lame and its really nice to see the two powerful heroines fight over this weaker man as the reverse is so often the case.
    I like the layers of characterization, everyone is flawed and both the heroines are quite evil in their way. The action is great but its really the mystery and the lies which surround Ayesha which makes this work so well. She gives numerous versions of her origin until you have no idea what the truth might be. Its a really solid adventure/mystery/romance. I was kind of surprised how much i liked it, especially how superior it seemed over the original. [5/5]

Old Item:
    Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1832)
    This is really quite good although the second-half isn't as good as first. Its a lot funnier than i expected, maybe its not supposed to be but i couldn't help laughing at how bad a demon Mephistopheles is. His power is incredibly limited, almost everything he does is through secondary means, he hires a witch, a water-spirit or some super-soldiers as opposed to doing things himself, he also can't access Greek hell or 'The Mothers'.
    The Mothers is probably the best part of Faust being very Lovecraftian. The other best bit is near the start when Faust wants to meet the most beautiful woman in the world, i'm not going to say what happens other than demon's are really sneaky ;) .
    Overall theres a lot to like although it does go off the boil towards the end. [4/5]

New Items:
    Algernon Blackwood, short stories

The Empty House (1906)
    Overly typical visit to a haunted house but still well told. [3/5]

A Haunted Island (1899)
    Supernatural tale about a man staying alone on a small lake isle and his growing paranoia. Again well told but kind of lame storywise. [3/5]

The Wolves of God (1921)
    A man returns to his island home after years in the Canadian wilderness haunted by something that happened there. I've begun to really like Blackwood's characters but his plots a still a bit meh. [3/5]

The Valley of the Beasts (1921)
    A brutal man goes hunting in a forbidden valley said to be protected by an indian god. Ending a little disappointing but overall a nice strange tale good characterization and visual descriptions. [4/5]

Old Item:
    House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (2000)
    I'm not going to give in to the hype, this book isn't perfect. I felt that Truant's story could have ended with a little more closure. However while not perfect this is an excellent read and definitely something i will read again.
    Don't get intimidated by the text layout, it's a far easier read than it might look and if you do feel a little lost at times you'll probably find your feelings matching perfectly with those of the characters.
    This is a Weird tale in the classic sense of the word, its got some very lovecraftian elements to it. I also have to say its quite lurid. One of the main characters has a very sleazy sex life, adults only!
    One of the many interesting things about this horror tale are the footnotes, which analysis and add many additional levels to the story, something like the digressions in Moby Dick but not as mind numbingly boring.
    This story or rather stories (since there are really three interweaving plots) didn't terrify me to the depths of my soul but it did get inside my head which isn't something many stories can boast of.
    I read this in a library and liked it so much i bought a copy, plenty of reread value on this one. [4/5]

• Advertisement

New Items:
    Madame Butterfly by John Luther Long (1898)
    An american man buys a wife while visiting japan it goes about as well as you'd expect.
    I'm torn on this one, its heroine is pretty silly most of the time and therefore hard to sympathize with. Also it uses a lot of broken english which really gets annoying.
    However its plot is excellent and almost makes up for these faults. [3/5]

A Journey in Other Worlds by John Jacob Astor IV (1894)
    Nope.. can't do it, i can't give this 2 stars. Part of me wants to, it has some interesting sci-fi elements and alien critters but its just too awful.
    It's very dry and boring most of the time with an overly scientific style that also reacts very badly with the story, which is so unscientific. When its not being mind numbingly boring the characterization seems to be from a really bad pulp.
    Then there's the religious stuff which manages to be both terrible on its own and still as dull as the science.
    It has been quite some time since i've had such a painful reading experience, despite minor points of interest, such as one of the characters turning into Patrick Swayze (Ghost), this is a truly terrible book.
    Go read 'A Honeymoon in Space by George Griffith' instead. [1/5]

Old Item:
    The Flying Dutchman by Richard Wagner (1843)
    I wanted to read some version of the Flying Dutchman story and came across this libretto. Its a pretty straightforward romance. The Dutchman has an opportunity every seven years to break the curse in 'Beauty and the Beast' fashion.
    A girl has heard of the Flying Dutchman's curse and is determined to break it even before he shows up, there isn't much to the story. [3/5]

New Item:
    The Adventures and Surprizing Deliverances of James Dubourdieu and his wife (1719)
    One of the interesting things about the title story is that despite the name most of it is told from the wifes point of view. It's also done as an oral tale with the protagonists telling their story to a reporter type person. Due to this style there's very little descriptive writing, it simply tells the facts, its kind of like a synopsis of a longer book like Moll Flanders or Robinson Crusoe.
    After getting through the woman's early life and the numerous times she was robbed, swindled or seduced she finally gets stranded on a desert island although not alone like in most tales of this kind.
    Eventually we switch to Dubourdieu's narrative as he tells what occurred when he was separated from his wife for a period and the plot actually switches genre's to utopian or lost civilization fiction.
    Overall this isn't too bad it's fairly short but as i've said it kind of feels like a synopsis of a larger work. [3/5]

Old Item:
    The Yellow Danger by M.P. Shiel (1898)
    One of the first of the 'Yellow Peril' books the main villain 'Dr. Yen How' was an inspiration for 'Fu Manchu'. When it gets right down to it this is essentially a Zombie Apocalypse story with all the zombies replaced by chinese people. If you think that sounds a bit racist... well yes its racist BUT its not as racist as you might be expecting.
    The villain is described in surprisingly Hitler-esque language, he creates a cult of personality about himself and manipulates the people of china and japan on an economic, social and religious level.
    Oh and before you ask, yes you can a have a zombie story with no zombies in it! John Carpenter spent a lifetime making zombie movies without actual zombies. As long as you get the atmosphere right you can replace the zombies with just about anything, ghost-pirates (The Fog), aliens (Ghosts on Mars), criminals (Assault on Precinct 13th), homeless people (Prince of Darkness) or in this case chinese people.
    Then we have the hero, a military savant, he appears to be based on Admiral Nelson a little bit but comes across like Rainman or Forest Gump.
    Note, apart from the racism inherent in a story like this there are also some really effecting torture scenes which come across as surprisingly modern in there brutality and effect.
    Overall this is a really bizarre spy thriller / war-story / zombie apocalypse, highly recommended :) . (Available online at archive.org) [4/5]

New Item:
    Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (1951)
    Quintessential zombie-apocalypse type story (although without the zombies obviously). Its amazing how much of this has been reused in just about every post-apocalypse tale. You might think that would make this seem clichéd but it still works surprisingly well in the written form.
    The opening is definitely the most atmospheric portion of the book despite the familiarity of the scenario.
    Some of the cultural and social stuff can be a little odd as it shows its age. Also the narrator tells the story a little too impersonally at times.
    Overall very good, which i wasn't expecting as the pieces of TV and film adaptations i've seen always seemed quite silly. [4/5]

Old Item:
    Varney the Vampire by Thomas Preskett Prest (1847)
    This isn't a novel it's the equivalent to a 20 season Boxed Set, if the original story ran every week then it went for at least 4 years. Its long, reallll long.
    I'm not sure how many writers there were but i'm sure there was more than one. The writing style becomes much less descriptive and over the top around chapter 30 or so much to its detriment.
    The story becomes increasingly inconsistent with at least 3 different origin stories for Varney, however it is possible to link everything together with a bit of work and if you assume that the origin stories done after he becomes a vampire (he's not one at the start he's just pretending) are simply due to Varney going a bit mad and misremembering.
    The mob scene is probably the highlight of the entire run. The middle chapters are probably the weakest with numerous very similar incidents taking place. It gets slightly better towards the end.
    I wouldn't bother paying for it to be honest, get a public domain version online, read until after the mob situation or Varney falls ill and becomes a vampire and then skip to the end. [3/5]

New Items:
    Gargantua and Pantagruel by François Rabelais (1564)
    Tough one to review it doesn't really have a proper story it wanders around touching on pretty much every social subject you can imagine. I seriously wonder how much of it i'm actually GETTING. The version i read had no annotations, that coupled with the age, the fact its a translation and the humor which rarely dates well, i doubt i'm really absorbing more than 65% of the original text.
    Its crass toilet humor is probably the highlight of the work as it's so strange to see it in something this old and it's so basic that it transcends time.
    The last two books are the most 'Gulliver' like. Book 3 is the weak link being one longggggg joke which can be a bit of a slog to get through.
    You'll need patience to read this as Rabelais's style is quite long-winded. Overall its interesting enough, i still prefer it to Don Quixote but not quite sure why people go nuts over it. [3/5]

The Runenberg by Ludwig Tieck (1802)
    Odd haunting short story about a man who sees a beautiful woman and then gets all religious and nuts about it. I'm not entirely sure what the point is. It seems to be about taking what you have and being content, maybe. It has a nice fairytale quality to it. [3/5]

Old Item:
    Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker (1911)
    So there are two versions of this, the original 40 chapter edition and the far more common 28 chapter edition which is missing over a 100 pages.
    I read the full version and yes it has many, many problems, in fact i don't consider it a proper book, its so clearly a first draft, effectively unfinished.
    There are the most insane conversations between characters and odd glitches in the text like skipped frames in a movie.
    I don't think its as racist as many others do, most of the racism is done by the villains and well they're villains so what do you expect. Also the character everyone hates was also hated and found repellent by his fellow africans.
    The strange story and many bizarre elements could be quite good, there is more craziness in this than just the worm. However the numerous writing problems make things too confusing to follow properly.
    Some interesting ideas, might not be terrible if you think of it as an unfinished draft. [2/5]

New Items:
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (1959)
    This is not a horror story... its ... ambiguous that was the word i was looking for. It lurches strangely from almost teen drama (i don't know why all the characters act like their 15) to supernatural tale, to supernatural parody, to psychological drama, its a mess. There's also a lot of conversations which are kind of hard to unravel, with statements and gestures the meaning of which is vague at best.
    And yet despite all that confusion or possibly because of it, the story still works brilliantly.... somehow. [5/5]

The Commonwealth of Oceana by James Harrington (1656)
    An attempt to describe how to setup and run a democratic state. Given when this was written it might be an important historical work but that doesn't mean anyone should still be reading it.
    It goes into way to much detail about the divisions of the state and how to run the elections etc. Large sections of it are virtually unreadable, they are so boring and meaningless. Also the small parts of interest regarding democratic politics can still be quite difficult to decipher due to the old style of writing.
    Overall i can't imagine any modern reader getting much from this. Reading the wiki entry on it would probably be more useful than reading the work itself. [1/5]

Old Item:
    The Lost Continent of Mu by James Churchward (1926)
    If James Churchward was alive today he'd be working for the History channel. This is his theory for a lost continent in the pacific and how all the ancient peoples of the world are linked to this lost country.
    One of his great excuses is that the symbolic name for Mu is represented by 3 of something... not 3 of something in particular just 3 of anything. So he goes around the world looking at ancient drawings and writing and whenever he sees 3 of something says 'see they were talking about Mu arn't i a genius!'. No your a tool.
    Its like Ancient Aliens but too boring to laugh at. [1/5]

New Short Items:
    The Adventure of the Empty House by Arthur Conan Doyle (1903)
    Sherlock Holmes returns from the dead. These stories are only ever good when they're personal. [4/5]

Dick Donovan, Chamber of Shadows by J.E.Preston Muddock (1892)
    I thought Donovan only investigated murders but this time he looks into a fraud which has brought down a major company. Not a great tale but still superior in style to the Holmes stuff. [3/5]

Voyage to Locuta by Elizabeth Susanna Graham (1818)
    The son of Lemuel Gulliver finds a new island. A short attempted description of the rules of grammer by showing them as people. Pretty interesting although i did get some awful school flashbacks. [3/5]

Message Found in a Copy of Flatland by Rudy Rucker (1982)
    Decent enough short tale with a twist about a mans research into the writing of the story Flatland. However it doesn't really expand on the original story in the way i had hoped. [3/5]

Beauty and the Beast by Marie Leprince de Beaumont (1756)
    Early renditions of classic tales often contain surprises but not in this case. I heard after reading this that there is an earlier and more expansive version of this fairytale. [2/5]

Old Item:
    Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen (1867)
    A play about a habitual liar who runs away from home has an amazing selfish life and does a last minute deathbed confession to make up for it. Is the moral of this story that there's no justice in this world or the next?
    This is a fun one as everyone knows someone like Gynt who tells outrageous lies and for some reason these people are always popular. [3/5]

• Advertisement

New Item:
    Dialogue Against the Fever Pestilence by William Bullein (1565)
    To the backdrop of a spreading plague various characters wander in and out of the narrative and discuss things.
    Some people flee from the pestilence, some scheme to make money from it, some turn to medicine or religion. A lot of the book is characters telling each other stories, mostly parables. We also get some info on the foreign places of the world, the places with giants and people with only one big foot or faces in their chest. Also on the other side of the world is a land suspiciously like england but with its capital city called Nodnol.
    Although the author does tend to go on a bit too much in some sections and it gets a little too religious towards the end (although it is also religious throughout but not overly so), also it is very old and some of the writing can be a little hard to decipher.
    However i still liked it, there's an underlying humor which pops up in places and the ending for a couple of the main characters was quite surprising. [3/5]

Old Item:
    The Voyages of Capt.John Holmesby by John Holmesby (1739)
    I'm writing this review a long time after reading this but the rating was made at the time and that might explain why i remember so little.
    So heres what little i retain of the story, a guy washs up on an island he meets an old man who's at one with nature etc. etc. he finds out the old mans people have been virtually wiped out by the materialists on the island and the protagonist is eventually captured and lives among these people. I can also recall something about a prsim that can turn anything into gold.
    It's a little bit like gullivers travels but while i don't recall any more details i do remember feeling that it was fairly uninteresting. [2/5]

New Item:
    The Happy Return by C.S. Forester (1937)
    That was surprisingly good and a bit different than i expected. Hornblower is i think 37 in this a little older than i imagined. The story is also more brutal and realistic than i was expecting. Both realistic in its violence and in its politics.
    There's also a very strong female character which always makes a nice addition to this sort of thing. I was trying to figure out who Hornblower reminds me of and then i realized its Captain Picard from star-trek :) , it really is a very similar character which is a very good thing in my opinion.
    Overall only nitpicks is its tendency to assume you know all of the nautical terms (and also how to play whist ;) ).
    High seas adventure really isn't my favorite genre but this is good, enough said. [4/5]

Old Item:
    Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers (1934)
    Wonderful stuff, i'll definitely be reading some of the sequels. Its not so much a single story as a series of extraordinary events. There is a nice bit of darkness to it which always leaves an impression on younger readers.
    Clearly this had some influence on the work of Roald Dahl. In fact there's one scene were people float up to the ceiling which Dahl completely stole for 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'. Poppins is also quite probably the basis for Granny Weatherwax from the discworld novels.
    This version of Poppins is a very interesting character, she's both far more human and inhuman than the film version. She's vain and proud and goes on dates, oh and she might also be 1/4 King Cobra if i did my math right :) .
    Highly recommended for young and old. [4/5]

New Item:
    The Ghost-seer by Friedrich von Schiller (1789)
    Unfinished mystery novella, a little bit like a Columbo episode in that you know who the victim is and the villain its just about finding out the how and why. actually its also about finding out the what as the villains plan is one of those incredibly convoluted ones who's ultimate aim is vague at best.
    The victim the Prince is a minor royal and comes across a bit like a Kardashian, only known for his name and his social actions. There's some nice critique of celebrity culture.
    Ultimately though it is unfinished so maybe i should have removed a point for that but i decided to leave it, its pretty decent despite not having much closure. [3/5]

Old Items:
    The Thinking Machine by Jacques Futrelle (1907)
    Short tale about a Holme's like character who believes he can beat a world chess champion due to his command of logical thinking, despite never having played the game before. Its ok. [2/5]

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole (1764)
    One of the most insane opeing in any story ever :D . Bizarre things are happening in the castle. It gets way too melodramatic as it goes along but what saves the story is the Count of Otranto himself who is a remarkably layered character. My opinion of him constantly shifted throughout the story. [3/5]

New Items:
    Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh (1930)
    Sort of an adult version of Jeeves and Wooster. Or half-way between Wodehouse and Dickens funnier stuff like Bleak House. As well as fun there's sex, death, politics and the sort of minor celebrity culture which is probably more relevant now than when this was written.
    There is a central story just about but it's occasionally lost amidst the various secondary characters. The whole thing feels a bit fragmented but overall still quite enjoyable although with a distinctly dark undercurrent. [4/5]

The Wish House by Rudyard Kipling (1924)
    Short tale of two old friends catching up with the reveal of a secret love and the strange lengths gone to for the lover. Odd tale mixing the weird and mundane. I could have done without the accents of the main characters but still liked the story a lot. [4/5]

Brushwood Boy by Rudyard Kipling (1895)
    Tale of a man who has strangely vivid and consistent dreams throughout his life. Spends way too much time showing the man's life and how perfect he is but still not bad. A bit predictable too. [3/5]

Old Items:
    Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo by Edward Lear (1894)
    Fairly good nonsense poetry not much to say about it. [3/5]

A Honeymoon in Space by George Griffith (1901)
    A rich british man and spunky american woman fly around the solar system.
    Each planet or moon they visit represents a potential view of the past or future of the human race. Its really quite good pulpy sci-fi with a fairly strong female character for the time. [3/5]

New Items:
    South Wind by Norman Douglas (1917)
    A tale of a mediterranean island and various foreigners who have ended up there. Its a veritable paradise although with a dark edge. The climate induces a relaxation of the morals and many people who come there are fleeing their past.
    As the story progresses we learn more about each of these characters and their background aswell as the rather bloody history of the island itself.
    The author really captures that sense of freedom, change and unreality you tend to get when you go on holiday. There's a lot to like about the story and i only have one problem with it and thats the structure.
    This is not a smooth read, in fact its downright lumpy with protuberances in strange places. To begin with it seems as if we have a main character but he's lost for large portions of the book. The author goes on abrupt tangents in order to give you character background and island history. Its a very uneven and sometimes quite annoying method of storytelling. Overall though still good. [3/5]

The Inmost Light by Arthur Machen (1894)
    A pretty good short weird tale, at least until the end which unfortunately lets it down a lot. The mundane area's of conversation in the story are better than the weird stuff. [2/5]

Old Item:
    The Coral Island by R.M.Ballantyne (1858)
    Very early teen adventure book. Three boys are ship wrecked on a desert island. Its not bad but probably doesn't stand up well to more modern books of its kind. [3/5]

• Advertisement

New Item:
    Wallet of Kai Lung by Ernest Bramah (1900)
    A sequence of short stories which are meant to seem as if translated from Japanese. Most of the tales focus on the poor but noble triumphing over the rich but corrupt. The later tales seem to hold a bit more humour than the earlier stuff and i really felt it improved as it went. I only read part of this and listened to the rest from Libravox.
    Heres a little sample of the kind of writing your in for: 'A sedan-chair! A sedan-chair! This person will unhesitatingly exchange his entire and well-regulated Empire for such an article'
    I assume everyone will recognise this disguised shakespeare quote which is attributed to a famous japanese writer in one of the stories :lol . I actually wonder whether the entire book was written in normal english then parsed into this faux japanese afterward.
    Because its supposed to be japanese everyone is very polite which means a great deal of passive agressive dialogue which i found quite entertaining. Overall probably a lot easier to listen to than read, i quite liked it especially the latter third. [3/5]

Old Item:
    The Face in the Abyss by A.E.Merrit (1930)
    Completely over the top pulp adventure with dinosaurs and ray guns, force fields and genetic engineering, a Dark Lord and a Snake Goddess. This is great stuff, i'm not a big fan of pulps but this has a more descriptive style than most. Its sort of like half-way between Burroughs and H.P.Lovecraft.
    In structure its a bit like the Chronicles of Riddick in that it started out as a short story and years later the author expanded it into other crazyness. Unlike 'Pitch Black' however its the crazy over the top part of this which is really enjoyable. There is the usual princess and blank slate protagonist but some of the side characters have real personality which makes up for the card board cutout hero.
    Also you might get a strong 'Lord of the Rings' vibe in places, i'm assuming thats coincidence and that Tolkien never read this but you never know :) .
    The author throws absolutely every idea he can into this story, if you ever wanted to try a pulp this is the one to start with. [4/5]

New Items:
    Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe (1722)
    Wow! that was just... awful, i mean that was shockingly bad :lol. I was pleasantly surprised by Robinson Crusoe so this was doubly disappointing. Its written in such a dull lifeless manner that it kills any sense of emotion or interest it might otherwise have.
    Its a series of short incidents few of which are interesting, in fact the story only seems to start get going when your 2/3's of the way through. To say it gets interesting from then on, i should clarify that it is only comparatively so, as it certainly couldn't get any duller.
    Not only is it dull but the situation is made worse by the most ridiculous coincidences cropping up here and there. I'm at a loss for words to thoroughly describe how pointless this felt to read. I'm seriously tempted to give it one star but its not even interesting enough to be truly bad.
    A complete waste of time, go read 'Forever Amber' or 'Fanny Hill' or literally ANYTHING else. [2/5]

Leixlip Castle by Charles Maturin (1825)
    Short supernatural tale, not bad, but the build up is better than the reveal. It definitely feels like the story could have gone down a more interesting avenue than the one it choose. [3/5]

Old Items:
    007 by Rudyard Kipling (1897)
    aka The Story of an American Locomotive
    Short story about an anthropomorphised train starting his career. Clearly the inspiration for Thomas the Tank Engine. [3/5]

The Town Where No One Got Off by Ray Bradbury (1958)
    Short story thriller about a man who gets off at a random stop and meets a sinister individual. Its pretty good. [3/5]

New Items:
    Move Under Ground by Nick Mamatas (2004)
    Kerouac vs Cthulhu. A beatnik pastiche with lots of lovecraft thrown in. Its really well done, of course the gap between the beatniks and lovecraft isn't as wide as you might think. Anyone who's read Kerouacs 'Dr.Sax' or Ginsbergs poem 'Howl' will see distinct touches of eldritch horror.
    Surprisingly for a pastiche this isn't played for laughs, its a proper beat novel with all the humour, sleaze and darkness that one would expect. Because it stars Kerouac as opposed to Sal Paradyse there is a biographical element to it and i wonder how true to Kerouacs personality and opinions this portrayal is.
    Some might find it a little vague in places especially towards the end but overall this is a great impression of the beats but with a little better focus and story than Kerouac usually managed. [4/5]

Hounds of Tindalos by Frank Belknap Long (1929)
    Short horror tale, also an informative lesson on the dangers of combining quantum physics and really hardcore drugs. Not bad, the method of storytelling could have been better though. [3/5]

The Red House by E.Nesbit (1902)
    A magazine writer and his illustrator wife inherit a house thats far too big for them to comfortably manage. Its a little bit like 'The Money Pit'.
    An ALMOST offensively nice story, just managing to avoid being twee due to some excellent characterization.
    Its very unusual to find a marriage relationship this well written and with such equality. Especially from something of this period. I had no idea Nesbit wrote non-childrens books so this was a very pleasant surprise. [4/5]

Old Item:
    When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr (1971)
    Tale of Kerr's own childhood and how her family was forced to flee germany when the Nazi part came to power. It's a kids book but has a couple of quite disturbing parts which is to be expected with Nazi's around. More interesting than entertaining. [3/5]

New Item:
    The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (1912)
    Well that was a lot funnier than i expected especially at the start. If there isn't a version of this with Brian Blessed as Challenger than someone really mixed a trick.
    It has surprisingly good characterization, i personally think the Holmes stories completely lack in that regard so was surprised to see Doyle could create such memorable characters.
    It does a feel a little abrupt in its ending and a bit random, kind of feels like it was just written on a whim without much structural planning.
    Overall i liked it but was also glad it moved fairly quickly and got to the end before i got bored. [3/5]

Old Items:
    Steam Man of the Prairies by Edward S. Ellis (1868)
    Western/Edisonian adventure story about genius inventor and his steam powered machine. I didn't think the writing was very good. [2/5]

Howl by Allen Ginsberg (1955)
    Ginsbergs famous beat poem, some nice lovecraftian touchs, first third better than the rest but overall pretty cool. [4/5]

New Items:
    Sigurd the Volsung and the Fall of the Niblungs by William Morris (1876)
    This is really quite good epic norse poetry, it does go on a bit too long towards the end but overall better than Beowulf and a real treat for any Lord of the Rings fans. You can see the origin of Aragorn and Arwen aswell as Eowyn, Gandalf, the ring and Isildur's sword.
    Of course the vast differences in where the stories go is also part of the fun. Speaking of fun, you might find it lacking in the latter parts as it turns into a real tragedy, still compelling though. Torn between a 3 or 4 score for this one but as i said a little long winded. [3/5]

Chitty-Chitty-Bang-#1 by Ian Fleming (1964)
    Maybe my dislike of Bond is bleeding in here but there's just something a bit too twee and artificial about this. Its like an impersonation of an E.Nesbit story but doesn't quite capture the magic of her writing.
    On the upside at least its short, in fact much shorter than i expected. Can't quite point of anything particularly awful about the story it just failed to engage me. [2/5]

Old Item:
    Briefing for a Descent Into Hell by Doris Lessing (1971)
    Noble prizes in literature to my mind seem like the book Oscars and Oscar winning films are rarely enjoyable. The same in my experience applies to Noble prize books. Occasionally however there are exceptions in both cases and this is one of them.
    Some gods travel to earth to warn of an impending disaster but to exist in our reality they have to play by our rules and effectively be human. Its a bit like '12 Monkeys' were the protagonist is often unsure whether they have really been sent on a mission or whether they're simply insane.
    Nothing i can say can properly describe this book. All i can say is, that its got good descriptive writing perhaps a little too descriptive for some but i thought it was good and i plan on reading it again sometime. [4/5]

New Items:
    The Underground City by Jules Verne (1877)
    aka Child of the Cavern, aka the Black Indies.
    Of the dozen or so Verne books i've read i'd put this at number 3 behind '20,000' and 'Paris in the 20th Century'. Having said that Verne does get a bit repetitive in the broad-strokes. This is the fifth story i've read by him that has mysterious events which turn out to be... well i won't say but if he lived Verne could certainly have gotten a job as a Scooby-Doo scriptwriter :P.
    However as Scooby-Doo episodes go this is still pretty good. There's a bit of romance and its also a bit darker than most of Verne's stories. As for the romance, it's not overly creepy which is also pretty unusual, for the time, especially given the origin of the love interest.
    Finally while living in a mine is clearly over romanticized it is a least a pretty interesting setting and Verne does his normal good job on the details. [3/5]

Nick Carter, Solution of a Remarkable Case by Frederick Van Rensselaer Dey (1891)
    aka Nick Carter detective library #1
    Short locked room detective story featuring superstrong master of disguise Nick Carter. This is absolute dreck :lol. It's the worst kind of dimenovel cliches and illogic. It's almost 'so bad its good' but not quite. [1/5]

Old Items:
    The Problem of Susan by Neil Gaiman (2004)
    Short story about Susan from the Narnia books. Apparently she didn't get to heaven because she had genitals or something the details elude me but i remember i liked the writing. [4/5]

Formosa by George Psalmanazar (1704)
    Psalmanazar was a white guy who claimed to be from Japan (Formosa) in order to get free drinks. People liked his bullplop stories because he claimed to have been kidnapped by Jesuits and everyone at the time hated the Jesuits. Then someone convinced him to write a book about his homeland. It sold well until his lies fell apart and he got into big trouble.
    Unfortunately the story of the writing of this book is a lot more interesting than the material itself. It goes into fashion, religion, geography etc. but its all really dry and boring with nothing of interest as far as i can recall.
    Better to just google Psalmanazar and skip this piece of dross. [1/5]

New Items:
    Letters from my Windmill by Alphonse Daudet (1869)
    A writer gets away from the bustle of Paris and stays in an old mill to do some work. This is a sequence of short stories, actually calling them stories doesn't feel accurate, tableau's might be a better description.
    Each piece paints a little picture of life. Many are quite cheery although it does get dark in places. Its really quite good and the writing can be quite beautiful. Towards the end however things become a bit political and historical and its not quite as much fun. [3/5]

Jack Wright And His Electric Stage by Luis Senarens (1894)
    aka Leagued Against the James Boys
    Edisonian adventure story. My feelings about this went up and down throughout. It's pretty awful in places and it seems very stretched. Also the cool new invention is basically a bus, so doesn't really seem all that cool.
    The one thing that saves this story is the fact that they're actually after Jesse James and his gang, which is pretty crazy and awesome.
    Good in places but as i said too long and very uneven in quality. [2/5]

Old Item:
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (1932)
    Parody of eh..? i'm not sure quite what specifically, just those manor house sort of novels. A lazy woman decides to mooch off her distant relatives but finding that they live in a pretty bleak and miserable condition she decides to do them a favor (against their will) and sort them out. Its a little too pat, things work out just a little too easily but still quite funny. [4/5]

New Items:
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)
    Moments of real greatness but overall just a bit too straightforward an allegory. However its fairly short and nowhere near as depressing as 1984 which was a relief. [3/5]

Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (1922)
    High-seas adventure story. Looking back on it, it seems as if Mr. Blood is a bit too perfect and the story is a bit too predictable in its outlines but i only noticed this afterward. While reading, the story keeps you completely engaged and you tend to miss its flaws.
    One thing i did notice however is the authors change of perspective, much of the story is done straight from Bloods point of view but occasionally a more overlooking approach is taken. This can be disconcerting and takes you out of the story a bit.
    One final thing i have to mention is the racism, at first it seems like there isn't any until you realize that's because black people are completely ignored by the story. They are shown as not even animals but simple mechanical devices with no personalities at all.
    Overall this is very solid and engaging stuff, its hard not to like despite the author occasionally distancing the reader from the action. [4/5]

New Items:
    Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne (1873)
    That wasn't terrible, in fact i'd rate it at #4 in the list of all the Verne stuff i've read. Because it is a race story it manages to be fairly exciting for a large section of the book although it started to lose me towards the end.
    Fogg is an odd character which at least make this less predictable than other stories but he's also kind of hard to like and the bit of romance thrown in doesn't really work.
    Conclusion, better than i expected. [3/5]

The Extraordinary Adventures of Arsene Lupin by Maurice Leblanc (1907)
    This supposed gentlemen thief is very much like the evil version of Sherlock Holmes. These stories like the Holmes ones are about the puzzle not about the character. A suspiciously high number of these stories try to make Lupin look like a hero but he's still not as likable as his british equivalent Raffles. That's because he is so overpowered, it seems as if he robs simply because he likes too without even any financial motive. Raffles is drawn as a much meaner character but still comes across as more likable because his motives are easier to understand.
    The two things which make this book good are the structure and method. We get some of Lupin's earlier exploits later in the book and this non-chronological story structure works very well. The best element though is the method used by Lupin in his robberies, which often rely heavily on psychology, and its this exploitation of human behavior which is the most interesting thing in the book. In fact calling Lupin a burglar seems inappropriate he's far more of a con-man. [4/5]

Carnacki the Ghost-Finder was originally published with 6 short stories which i read but later editions had 9. I finally got around to reading the 3 i missed.

The Find by William Hope Hodgeson (1909)
    A strangely mundane story, as Carnacki is hired to authenticate a book, not sure exactly why you'd hire a supernatural expert for that its not even a book of black magic or anything. Was hoping it would turn into a version of The Ninth Gate or something but nope. [2/5]

The Haunted Jarvee by William Hope Hodgeson (1910)
    Odd things happening at sea. Has Hodgeson's usual great details of the strange. Felt a bit like that Star-Trek Next Generation episode with Nagilum, unfortunately there isn't much of a pay off in the end. This might be the most Lovecraftian of his Carnacki stories. [3/5]

The Hog by William Hope Hodgeson (1911)
    Some really cool horror obviously related to House on the Borderland. However it's anti-ghost technology plays a bit too big a role and the story is a bit too stretched. [3/5]

New Items:
    250px-PeterAndWendy.png
    Peter and Wendy by J.M.Barrie (1911)
    aka Peter Pan
    Well that was a lot more interesting than expected. Peter Pan the book, aka Peter and Wendy isn't just a retelling of the play, it gives you insights into the characters you could never get from the stage.
    You find out its not that much fun being a Lost Boy and eating imaginary dinners. Peter comes across as quite insane at times but i loved how childish he is and how all the women around him are more sexually mature than him.
    There's just a lot more to like about this book than i imagined, however it is a little uneven and fragmented around the middle hence not a perfect score. [4/5]

latest?cb=20111110153038
    City of the Beast by Michael Moorcock (1965)
    aka Warriors of Mars, aka Michael Kane #1, aka Kane of Old Mars #1
    A knockoff of Edgar Rice Burrough's 'Princess of Mars' (itself a ripoff of 'Gulliver of Mars') but better written, mostly. It starts off good and is overall superior but Moorcock does seem to channel a little too much Burroughs at times almost stooping to his level. If you like Princess of Mars then i can't imagine you liking this as the similarities are too well marked.
    However i personally hated 'Princess of Mars' so this was a far more pleasant read although still felt a little pointless. [3/5]

• Advertisement

New Items:
    220px-CharlottePerkinsGilman_Herland.jpg
    Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1915)
    Arrrghh what a time to end the story! I was really looking forward to a bit more but wanting more is not a terrible critisism.
    This is a utopian fiction about a country inhabitabed only by females. It does hold up a mirror to the unfair conditions of women in the real world but its hard to properly apply its critique. Its more sci-fi than social commentary.
    What i mean is that the creation of this land is so unique geographically, historically and biologically thats its hard to read it and go, 'oh wouldn't our world be better if we did things like that!' because you can't, there is no possibility of recreating this environment because of its unique formation.
    However there are still some interesting feminist (for the time) views of the treatment of woman as well as the more sci-fi elements of a completely alien social structure.
    The one thing missing from this work is sex, just because they have no men the sex instinct has been completely lost which is ridiculous and shows the age or at least the sci-fi origin of the story. No (good) modern writer would remove the pleasures of sex from society just because its not needed for reproduction. All told i really liked this one.
    PS: Just found out there's a sequel, yes please. [4/5]

51pPko7QGcL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_FMwebp_.jpg
    Idylls of the King by Alfred Lord Tennyson (1885)
    Poetic version of the arthurian legends, although none of it seems to rhyme. I have to say i have zero interest in arthurian mythology but thats ok because this isn't about myths and legends this is about people.
    These poems have a remarkable amount of humanity in them. There are so many surprises and characters act in very human but unexpected ways. Also the magical elements of the myths are mostly minimized or made ambiguous.
    Other poetry epics like Orlando Furiouso or the Faerie Queene tend to be very good on the action this less so with most action taking place between the lines. However thats ok because it's again about people not events.
    The only real flaw is that each section is a bit long for a comfortable read in one go at least for me.
    One other small complaint is that it mixes in the Tristan and Isolde legend, so if your not familiar with that you may get confused as it assumes you already know it, i had to wiki it.
    This is really like a modern film adaptation taking modern issues and viewpoints and clothing them in the arthurian lengendry, i like. [4/5]

An Authentic Narrative of the Ghost of a Hand by Joseph Sheridan LeFanu (1863)
    Short haunted house story. Nicely creepy but without any real closure. [3/5]

New Items:
    837090.jpg
    The Prime Minister by Anthony Trollope (1876)
    Ugh, that was interminable! I'm sorely tempted to give this 2 stars, which is annoying because i was all set to give it 4 or 5 during the early chapters.
    This is actually two almost completely separate stories sewn together. The primary story following Ferdinand Lopez, an ambitious young wall-street type willing to do whatever it takes to make it rich. The secondary story follows Duke Plantagenet Palliser as he is asked to head up a coalition government.
    Its sort of 'Wall Street' meets 'The West-Wing', and its good, there's a lot to like here. Interesting characters and politics. All of the main cast seem well rounded.
    It gives an honest and somewhat horrifying view of the lives and social positions of women (or at least rich women) of the period, while not looking down on them.
    Oh and i saw a parallel, (real or imagined) between the lives of Emily in one narrative and Plantagenet in the other. I think both characters were prideful but also weak and it was an interesting comparison, although i can't be sure it was the authors intent.
    I really liked it... and then it just kept going.. and going.. and going! Seriously, even on their own each of the narratives would have been unnecessarily stretched, stitching two together was just cruel and unusual. [3/5]

Dick Donovan, Secrets of the Black Brotherhood by J.E.Preston Muddock (1892)
    Short detective story, a man hires Donovan to defend his fiancee who appears to be a kleptomaniac. Pretty good but the solve comes a bit too abruptly. [3/5]

History of the Seven Families of Lake Pipple-Popple by Edward Lear (1865)
    Short children's tale of various animal families. Not bad, a bit gruesome for kids i would of thought but i guess most fairy-tales are too. [3/5]

New Item:
    ThirdPoliceman.jpg
    The Third Policeman by Brian O'Nolan (1940)
    aka Flann O'Brien.
    This is a great book. Its weird and has a great use of language. People keep saying its really funny but it has such a dark, odd edge to it.
    Apart from the protagonist you have occasional interruptions by the main characters newly found soul, as well as digressions involving a mad philosopher that the protagonist is obsessed with.
    I generally dislike the surreal, some things like Alice in Wonderland or Doctor Faustroll seem to be just weird for the sake of weird. This however is nicely grounded so that the bizarre stands out even more without things becoming too disjointed.
    Overall highly interesting, great turn of phrase, nicely weird, in fact after reading it from the library i'm definitely going to buy a copy for future perusal. [4/5]

New Item:
    englandg12261226512265-8.jpg
    The Flying Legion by George Allan England (1920)
    Overall this is a pretty solid book, it has a very pulpy storyline but the writing is far better than you might expect from 1920.
    The hero/super-villain of the story is an ex-army guy, who's somehow a millionaire and inventor extraordinaire. He also only likes to be referred to as 'The Master' (one of his many super-villain traits). Bored he decides to recruit some other ex-military types for an unknown venture. These are joined unexpectedly by the mysterious Captain Alden who wears a face mask to cover his disfigured continence.
    Part one of the plan involves high treason against the United States, part two of the plan involves a military assault on Mecca.
    This is an insane story and some might have a problem with the way muslims are depicted, however while a lot of the characters hate muslims the writer and his main character seem to really like the culture of the middle-east countries.
    The Master is constantly spouting muslim sayings, he never says thank god but rather thanks Allah etc.
    As i mentioned this is a pulp story-wise and it has some crazy pulp technology thrown in here and there. The characters you don't really get to know too well, but the not knowing is quite compelling.
    In the end its a little longer than i would have liked and the descriptive writing while beautiful, can be a bit overdone but the story was compelling and insane which i liked. [3/5]

New Items:
    190px-AdvPinocchio.jpg
    The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (1883)
    Well that was... random. A very pointed fairytale about obeying your parents, working hard and not being an ass. Its pretty odd and doesn't bother trying to give reasons for many of its events. Fairies work in mysterious ways...
    It might be nice to give to kids if you really want to mess them up :) . [3/5]

220px-Shape_of_things_to_come_dust_jacket.jpg
    The Shape of Things to Come by H.G. Wells (1933)
    A dystopian/utopian novel, written as a history book from the year 2106 and detailing the rise of a single world government. This is really good, despite what i will say about it's shortcomings, be assured that those are minor. As mentioned it is a history book and as such it can be quite dry with all of socio-economic talk etc. but its also really fascinating.
    Once i saw where it was going i thought it was going to turn out very silly and unrealistic. However when it got to the details it was remarkably detailed and authentic. Wells must have studied a lot of history books to be able to mimic them in this manner. The name dropping, references, argument and counter-arguments, every facet of this makes it seem real.
    BUT i do have a few gripes, one, its really long, a bit longer than it needed to be in my opinion although i do think the slowness of things added to the feeling of authenticity.
    Secondly i never understood how the organization's mentioned actually worked, in the details. How were people elected or promoted etc. it seemed a little hazy in that regard.

Lastly but very much the major problem of this work is its sexism. I'm used to reading old books and good old-fashioned blatant (women should stay in the kitchen) sexism i can easily deal with, this was a little different.
    Women are almost entirely absent from this book, something which even the author acknowledges briefly but then excuses in the worst way.
    Wells is past the old fashioned sexism, he recognizes women as scientists, business people, artists and aviators so why are they so infrequent in this text you might ask?
    Well you see this is a history book, dealing with historically important people and according to Wells, women will NEVER stand out enough to be historically important. He also gives the secondary opinion that women don't WANT to be important.
    That they are naturally meek, submissive and unegotistical, instead of the power-hungry, backstabbing, narcissists we all know them to be, just like men.
    Its somewhat infuriating just because this book is so close to being perfect, if only Well's could have dragged himself a little further up the evolutionary ladder. [4/5]

New Items:
    225px-Ruggles_of_red_gap.jpg
    {film image}
    Ruggles of Red Gap by Harry Leon Wilson (1915)
    This is sort of like Jeeves and Wooster but from Jeeves point of view, although Jeeves is a bit smarter than Ruggles. Perhaps 'Frazier Crane' would be a better comparison.
    Ruggles is forced to go to america and deal with the lack of social distinctions. Its a pretty funny social comedy with Ruggles stuck between various factions and social classes.
    The story certainly never went where i expected and Ruggles denseness to some of what was going on around him was always humorous.
    It definitely improved as it went along as some of the early chapters were a bit of a slog to get through. I'm personally not much of a Wodehouse fan but, i mean to say, if you like that sort of thing you'll probably like this too, i mean to say even more then i did, what what! [3/5]

220px-TheBoysFromBrazil.jpg
    The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin (1976)
    Another fine Levin story, its a pity they're so good that you can't avoid knowing the plot before you read it. Like Stepford Wives though this doesn't entirely spoil the story.
    Levin is just great at painting a scene so you can picture it all. He's also great at the little odd details that make such a difference to stories. Right from the start, a group of germans meet up in brazil, at a japanese restaurant. Why a JAPANESE restaurant of all places? It's a great little detail and there are so many other little touches which make the characters stand out from the crowd.
    Overall very nice work, very movie-like, only issue is that the individual chapters are a little long, for me anyway. [4/5]

The Mines of Falun by E.T.A.Hoffmann (1819)
    Short doomed destiny / ghost story tale. It's quite long winded and not very entertaining once you see where its heading. The tale is being told to a group of listeners who after its over, actually poke fun at the story's shortcomings. So even the author seems aware that it isn't very good. [2/5]

New Items:
    51mHdQVRLNL._UY250_.jpg
    The Travels of Mr. John Gulliver Vol2 by Pierre Desfontaines (1730)
    Meh... it's ok, its fine really, sort of. I've only read the second volume as its the only part available online but i get the gist.
    It's impossible to judge this without comparison to Gulliver's Travels. I'm not a huge fan of Gulliver, its characterization being the most interesting part for me rather than its satire. No other satires i've read have the excellent characterization of Swift's writing, so its failure to appear in John Gulliver didn't cause me to deduct any points.
    However this book is also both less fantastical and less biting in its satire. I don't even know why this was originally in two volumes as the author seems to have a hard time filling the pages. There arn't very many ideas covered and the entire last section seems to be a desperate attempt to defend the few ideas that are raised.
    There are better satires out there, such as 'Voyage to Cacklogallina, 'Niels Klim's underground travels' or 'Riallaro, archipelago of exiles' to name a few. [2/5]

180px-Hugo_Hercules_lifting_a_car.jpg
    all 17 issues of Hugo Hercules by Wilhelm Körner (1903)
    Brief comic-strip run. Clearly an influence on Desperate Dan and possibly Superman. The ever helpful Hugo often does some damage when lending a hand but unlike in Desperate Dan, nobody seems to mind. Just as easy! [3/5]

New Items:
    350px-Image_taken_from_page_284_of_The_Angel_of_the_Revolution_a_tale_of_the_coming_Terror._..._With_illustrations_by_F._T._Janes_(11222525186).jpg
    Angel of the Revolution by George Griffith (1893)
    Set in 1903, a world war approaches and an international group of terrorists mean to take advantage of the situation after getting their hands on a new form of combustion, which finally solves the problem of powered flight.
    This is pretty prophetic in some ways, it combines the devastation of machine warfare realized in the first World War with the speed of machine warfare realized in the Second.
    George Griffith it has to be said, isn't a particularly good writer. His writing tends to be quite plain and pulpy, its not bad, but its by no means spectacular. He does however have two things going for him. One is a great imagination, and the other is his love of strong female characters, which is pretty unusual for the time.
    Apart from the fact its hard to like anyone in this story as they're all gradations of evil from a modern perspective, the other major flaw is the racism in favour of anglo-saxons. Which is all the more remarkable given that most of the main characters are russian. Still i suppose it's no more racist than Star-Trek and every other sci-fi show in which the entire world appears to be ruled by white english speakers.
    A very interesting plot, i am planning on reading the sequel. [3/5]

220px-Ada-blanche-robinson-crusoe-1894.jpg
    {random female crusoe image}
    Hannah Hewit: Or, the Female Crusoe Vol II by Charles Dibdin (1794)
    I have mixed feelings about the fact i skipped Vol I. On the one hand Hannah is a very interesting character and i'd like to know more about her. On the other hand Dibdins writing can sink sometimes to Defoe's worst (Moll Flanders), while it never rises to Defoe's best (Robinson Crusoe).
    Its an odd writing style that can feel very monotone in circumstances that instead should feel exciting or emotional.
    The saving grace of it all is Hannah, a genius at engineering and pretty much anything else she puts her mind too, a very strange female figure for the times. Even Dibdin's poor style and needless 'a series of unfortunate events' plot-lines fail to make Hannah unengaging. [3/5]

New Items:
    170px-Lydia_Thompson.jpg
    {another random female crusoe image}
    Hannah Hewit: Or, the Female Crusoe Vol III by Charles Dibdin (1794)
    It finally occurred to me what this writing style reminds me of, its an american soap opera! It has it all, the constant twists and turns, the wild coincidences, the returns from the dead and new found relations.
    In defoes Moll Flanders these things are incredibly annoying but Dibdins stuff feels less serious and so its ridiculous aspects are more acceptable.
    The genius Hannah continues to delight and the first half of this volume is probably the highlight of the work. The second half is spent clearing up loose threads and so can be a bit of a let down. Finally the author reveals the main point of his story which i liked a little better in this than when the same point was made in Candide.
    Overall Dibdins writing still isn't good but i enjoyed my time with Hannah. [3/5]

I found a great new resource for public domain comics, all free and legal, highly recommend. http://comicbookplus.com
    largethumb.jpg
    all 6 issues of Brain Boy comic (1963)
    These are really quite good despite the awful name. A young man with telepathic/telekinetic abilities is recruited by the U.S. government. Quite a bit darker than you might imagine and some very interesting badguys. Unfortunately there always seems to be some small thing in each issue which doesn't entirely make sense otherwise i'd rate it higher. [3/5]

The Nutcracker and the Mouse King by E.T.A. Hoffman (1816)
    A somewhat twisted short story, i suppose it could be called a fairytale. Unfortunately it goes on a bit too long and there's a sort of explanation done in the middle which really drags things to a halt. Also the final section is a little too descriptive. Still not terrible though. [3/5]

• Advertisement

New Items:
    Ackroyd_hawksmoor.jpg
    Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd (1985)
    In the early 18th century an architect oversees the construction of 7 churches while in the 1980's a policeman struggles to solve a series of murders.
    I'm giving this a reluctant 4 out of 5. This is an awkward one, very high-brow but some of it was definitely lost on me. It requires a considerable degree of patience and concentration to read.
    Much of it is written in Ye Olde english from the 1700's which i liked, its not the style but the substance which is hard to digest.
    Oh and you will definitely feel soiled and depressed after reading this (even if you manage to avoid feeling confused). [4/5]

The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke (1948)
    The short story 2001: A Space Odyssey is supposed to have been based on. The similarities are quite slight but this is a solid and interesting little tale of moon exploration. [4/5]

250px-Eagle_1950_issue_1_front_page.jpg
    first 10 issues of Dan Dare comic (1950)
    I can certainly see why this is considered a classic. The story ain't bad but the artwork and the 1950's vision of the future is really beautiful. [4/5]

first 10 issues of Captain Pugwash comic (1950)
    Who knew Pugwash started as a comic. I haven't actually watched any of the cartoon but in this Pugwash isn't a nice pirate he's simply an incompetent and cowardly one. Its quite fun. [4/5]

*If plays are considered literature then why not film, i'll be adding the occasional film/serial etc that gets referenced in the LoEG comics.
    Film Items:
    220px-Chaplin_-_Modern_Times.jpg
    Modern Times (1936)
    Not quite a classic, this has some great set pieces but it's far too random and unfocused. Clearly Chaplain had a decent idea to begin with but wasn't able to spread that one idea wide enough for a full film. Interesting as a production as its a semi-talky with just a few bits of dialogue, mostly delivered via some very 1984-esque video screens. [3/5]

220px-Dictator_charlie2.jpg
    The Great Dictator (1940)
    Now this IS a classic! Chaplains first proper talky still stands up today. Not only moving but genuinely funny, despite the dark subject matter. Chaplain plays a german/jewish barber and former WWI soldier who looks remarkably like the country's new dictator Adenoid Hynkel.
    There really arn't a lot of movies this old which i think hold up under modern scrutiny so i was very pleased with this one. The ending might feel a bit of a let down for some but i thought it was an interesting and bold choice which worked relatively well. [4/5]

Advertisement