Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locating eggs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

These ex battery hens , you talk of ?
    How do you charge them up ?

Take away the negative and add some positive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The eggs are where the eggs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I agree with the OP. Every supermarket seems to put eggs in different locations. I shop around in many different places and finding eggs (and sugar too sometimes) can be most distressing!

I hope to hear some official announcement on this problem from our elected representatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Our local superquinn are all over the place with eggs. I am convinced it is a conspiracy to get us to wander the aisles and impulse buy other stuff.
    Local farmer delivers fresh eggs to my mum down the country...one of the advantages of rural living!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hatless wrote: »
    They're in the fridge - where else would they be? Just stick with the same supermarket.

Why would they be in the fridge. Eggs in the EU are generally never stored in retail outlets fridges.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Menas wrote: »
    Our local superquinn are all over the place with eggs. I am convinced it is a conspiracy to get us to wander the aisles and impulse buy other stuff.
    Local farmer delivers fresh eggs to my mum down the country...one of the advantages of rural living!
    The big supermarkets actually do take shop layouts very seriously. The likes of Tesco probably have psychologists on the payroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I notice a couple of posters are having trouble finding eggs in Superquinn and I think I know why .......... there are no Superquinns anymore! :)

Where should the eggs be anyway???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

MadDog76 wrote: »

Where should the eggs be anyway???

Beside the rashers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

They are generally close to the bread. You don't get an egg aisle because there's not that much variety.

They used to be refrigerated near the dairy and breakfast produce but a previous poster pointed out that's dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Cluck off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

MadDog76 wrote: »
    First world problem ............

I never worry where the eggs (or anything else for that matter) are in a supermarket, I just saunter up and down the aisles and take the items I need/want/like the look of as I see them ......... I've never gotten to the last aisle and thought "Where the f*ck are the eggs!?!!".

That's not the best way to shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

That's not the best way to shop

It is the best way actually :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I don't buy eggs often - and when I do it's from the local shop rather than the supermarket. Come to think of it, they're on a shelf near the fridge rather than in the fridge.

Never thought it through much but assumed it was a space issue and that eggs would be in the fridge section in supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭OhDearyMe

I think eggs are egg-shell-ent! ;):pac:;):pac:

They're inexplicably kept beside the fresh seafood counter in my supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

BMJD wrote:
    Also, my local Dunnes moved all the oils into a fridge so they now resemble bottles of butter.

Whuuuut???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Are they near the clitoris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

dotsman wrote: »
    In the EU, eggs should never be refrigerated until purchased by the consumer.
    Oh yeah, never thought of the whole changing temperature from cold to warmer, back to cold.
    Although - and I ask this purely out of curiosity and not to be smart, but wouldn't cooking the egg well sort out any nasty bugs? Chicken and fish and pork are cold-stored in retailers yet they'll be in the car/your shopping bag for a bit before they're brought home to the fridge/freezer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Eggs = Hen shit

Why would you eat feces?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Eggs = Hen ****

Why would you eat feces?

Actually they're more like hens' periods.

You're familiar with the difference between a vagina and an anus, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Actually they're more like hens' periods.

You're familiar with the difference between a vagina and an anus, no?

Pics? I might need a few just to be sure... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Suck on a used tampon. Same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

They are usually on the eggs shelf in my supermarket. Never had a problem finding them to be honest.

He's cracked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Its just a year long easter egg hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why are some eggs small eggs?
    Do they have off days or do they come from young chickens?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Hatless wrote: »
    Oh yeah, never thought of the whole changing temperature from cold to warmer, back to cold.
    Although - and I ask this purely out of curiosity and not to be smart, but wouldn't cooking the egg well sort out any nasty bugs? Chicken and fish and pork are cold-stored in retailers yet they'll be in the car/your shopping bag for a bit before they're brought home to the fridge/freezer.

Not actually sure. I think it's to do with the fact that cooking mainly kills bacteria on the exterior (where bacteria typically resides). With eggs, the shell is porous, and it's to do with, when the temperature increases, it becomes more porous, so bacteria on the outside is sucked into the inner egg. Thus, once a cold egg warms up, the egg is potentially "gone-off".

Similar to, regardless of how much you cook a piece of "gone-off" meat, it will still potentially give you food poisoning.

Maybe a food biologist could explain it better. I just know what I've been told and what I've read and that is:
    Cleaning the exterior of an egg also wipes away its protective layer, so it is more susceptible to future contamination (therefore, it should only be cleaned at time of consumption).
    Although refrigeration extends the life of an egg, any change in temperature afterwards greatly increases the risk salmonella.

The above is the EU guidelines/regulations (not sure if its law or just recommended/common practice) and since it's adoption 2 decades ago, the cases of salmonella poisoning has decreased dramatically (it's only a few percent of what it use to be), whereas the States still does the the whole "cleaning in the factory and refrigerate afterwards" and salmonella poisoning cases are much higher there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

kneemos wrote: »
    Why are some eggs small eggs?
    Do they have off days or do they come from young chickens?

Small eggs come from sick, injured or nutrient lacking chickens.

Eggs come from intense farming, 10+ chickens crammed into a 60cm cage, they can't move, open their wings or stretch their legs. Because of this eggs are much smaller than free range chickens who get a much better life, these chickens are often left for a year with broken legs, broken wings, no feathers, infection, disease, illness, etc all for people to buy cheap eggs.

Chicken farmers keep lights on 24/7, force feed grains and foods to make them lay as much as possible. Laying eggs takes a lot out of them. My own chickens, who are on 1 acre of land and spend their days scratching through dirt and grass, sun bathing under the sun and running around catching flies will lay every 1/2 days.

Intense farming chickens will have 2/3 eggs every day or so because they're forced to.

Advertisement