Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CV Guidance

• 13-09-2015 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this post.

I am in my final year of university and want to create a CV to apply for graduate positions.

My issue is that it will have taken me 7 years to complete my 4 year course. This is due to me failing a year and then leaving that course to try out different things but then subsequently returning to complete the degree.

I started my degree in 2009, then left it for 2 years as I didn't feel itj was the right choice but then returned in 2012 to complete it. How do I show this on my CV? I was considering just writing my graduation date on my CV but surely employers will pick up on the 7 year gap between my leaving certificate and graduation.

In the 2 year gap, I attempted different courses and was in employment for a little while but nothing of consequence. I realise it is important to be honest but does anyone know the best way to present this on my CV?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Hey! Sorry for the delay on this. Here's what I think... tell the truth!

Hear me out. You leaving your course because you thought it wasnt for you, to me, is brave and bold. You took those two years off and spent time figuring out what you wanted to do! That's so worthwhile. Finding out it wasnt for you, and returning to your degree shows commitment and dedication (and maybe you actually ended up loving the subject matter?). That's awesome. I would rather a person who spent time figuring their sh!t out and was committed than one who just blindly marched on, any day.

That being said, you can always do:

2009 Completed year one in BA in Subject
    2010 - 2012 Took break from studies
    2012 - 2015 Awarded BA in Subject

If people ask why you took a break you could say anything from travel, to working, to financial reasons. Loads of people will not pry if you say that. Or you can tell the truth, say you werent sure about your course so took time off to see what else you might like to study. Most people will leave it there (just care you have a degree), some other people will want to know what you learned from that time (what did you try study? why did you like it or not?)

Or something like
    2009-2015 BA in Subject
    Took break during studies, completed over longer duration

Either way, you have a degree! Your journey is the truth is worth telling.

Lmk how you get on!

Advertisement