Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

• 05-10-2015 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.

I'm back form 2 week's holidays today, only to arrive in and find that an ESB substation has popped somewhere around the South William St area and so we've been sitting here with no internet connection in the office for nearly 4 hours. When it rains, it pours, eh?

OK, so the site has been, to use the technical term, bolloxed. I don't fully know why, but we are obviously investigating as I type. Preliminary investigations suggest that one of our database servers went kaput (we have 3) and then a DDOS attack took a second one out of sync which is why you see notification errors, 404's when you post and basically, most of the problems that've been reported over the last 5 days.

It is obviously our number 1 priority to get all 3 database servers back up and running at full speed and in full synchronisation this afternoon so that the vast bulk of these problems disappear.

I will keep you all posted via this thread as the day goes on - I have a couple of weeks worth of stuff to catch up on, so please bear with me.

Finally, I'm really sorry the site's been such a pain in the arse to use this last week or so, I've been just as frustrated as the rest of you because I've been trying to use it too on my time off. We've dropped the ball and that's not good enough and not how we do things, so again, I'm sorry, but we're trying to put it right as we speak.

*Update - November 2016*

(Boards.ie: Mark) Been talking with the tech guys about how errors are reported, and it would help everyone involved (yourselves included as it could help us get to the root of issues) if you could do the following.

Before submitting a bug report, please take the following steps to attempt to resolve it:
    Should that not work, please include as much information as possible, such as:
    • The URL of the page you were on when the error occurred
    • Steps to reproduce the process
    • Screenshots
    • What you expected to happen
    • What actually happened
    • The results of the Diagnostics page - please delete the IP address line
    • Whether you are using the Legacy or Responsive site
    • Whether you are based in Ireland or overseas
    • Whether you are in an office / operating behind a proxy/firewall

Thanks all!

NOTICE (02/03/17):
    Hi everyone,

Some work is going to be carried out today in the datacentre, which MAY cause some disruption (though hopefully not). Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thanks Dav, good luck with the fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Won't somebody please think of the hamsters! They must be knackered, they need a holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What I take from this thread ... Dav gets holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

I can only imagine the head on Dav coming back from holidays to this. He'll be all over the R&R forum later :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I was coming on to have a whinge about there being no central thread with a notice in the first post from admin telling us what the problem was . Now I realise there is but I couldn't see it due to the problems with the site . Now I'm whinging at myself for not thinking about that ....but none of this matters because this might not even post and even if it does no one will probably see it, at least until the site is fixed at which stage no one will care about this thread any more ........... waffle waffle waffle .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just wondering if anyone has officially said anything to the companies and reps that reply in the Talk to forums? They are afaik paying for a service and might be more in the dark than those of us that bother to post about site issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm surprised nothing has been posted to the Boards.ie Twitter or Facebook accounts - even Facebook uses Twitter for downtime updates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm surprised nothing has been posted to the Boards.ie Twitter or Facebook accounts - even Facebook uses Twitter for downtime updates!

I contacted Boards on Twitter and they never responded. They're normally quite quick so not sure why they didn't this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

I can only imagine the head on Dav coming back from holidays to this. He'll be all over the R&R forum later :p

Is there anything here?

Just to add - I followed the link from Dav's post, but there's absolutely nothing here. No posts. Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Refresh the page

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Relational databases are like two-stroke engines. Mighty yokes while they keep zinging along, but now and then the Gods of Ballsup notice you and send Hell and Perdition. It is at this point that the administrator realises what a perversion of physics the thing is and how amazing it is that it works at all. The divil is stuck in 'em - the divil, I tells ye!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

jimgoose wrote: »
    Relational databases are like two-stroke engines. Mighty yokes while they keep zinging along, but now and then the Gods of Ballsup notice you and send Hell and Perdition. It is at this point that the administrator realises what a perversion of physics the thing is and how amazing it is that it works at all. The divil is stuck in 'em - the divil, I tells ye!! :D
    Never change, Jim :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Myrddin wrote: »
    Refresh the page

You're assuming that he can see your post? :)

I've actually start to find the whole situation hilarious, I'm starting to feel like I've got Alzheimers. I go into a forum, see that there's no new posts and think to myself "Wait, why did I come in here?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Thanks for the update.

CatInABox wrote: »
    You're assuming that he can see your post? :)

It's happening me too, I click the thread link from the forum & get taken to an empty boards page with no post/details in it. A refresh fixes it, mostly :o
    I've actually start to find the whole situation hilarious, I'm starting to feel like I've got Alzheimers. I go into a forum, see that there's no new posts and think to myself "Wait, why did I come in here?"

Lol, I know the feeling

Seems a lot better now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

martyos121 wrote: »
    Won't somebody please think of the hamsters! They must be knackered, they need a holiday!

Oh Lollers ! What an original joke....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Much improved now, still one or two problems but nowhere near as bad as it was an hour or two ago or last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

working well now thanks

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Most people go on holidays from work and know, regardless of how critical their role, the place won't fall down without them.

But not in Dav's case. Hes not allowed to leave again until they clone him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

OK, so I'm told that the databases have been brought back into synchronisation and that this should have resolved a lot of the problems we've been having.

We're obviously monitoring carefully to see that everything is stable, but with a bit of luck, we're past the worst of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just a fyi, still getting logged out on touch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Now comes the inquest into Who, how, why and identifying the innocent and guilty parties, which could be "interesting".

It will be nice to be able to rely on the page showing what's actually happening again, if I'd read one particular message once more, I think there would have been an imprint of a laptop on the wall the other side of the room.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,890 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Seems ok now.
    Thanks for the update but one single announcement on Twitter from whoever was minding the shop would have stopped a lot of confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It's working a lot better now. I still get the odd '404' when trying to access treads.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Seems ok now.
    Thanks for the update but one single announcement on Twitter from whoever was minding the shop would have stopped a lot of confusion.

This wouldn't have helped I imagine:
    Dav wrote: »
    we've been sitting here with no internet connection in the office for nearly 4 hours.

Never change, Jim :cool:

Remember this: It ain't over until the bastard thing eats another set of pistons. And even then it ain't over - the only end to this living Hell is divorce, poverty and rocking back-and-forth in a foetal position gibbering semi-coherently about port heights and premix ratios. :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My avatar isn't loading in the floating menu, tear the whole thing down.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

My avatar isn't loading in the floating menu, tear the whole thing down.

Yes, my hovercraft is also full of eels. We should, like, set fire to shít an' stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement