Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Shepherd Convent Dunboyne

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Geoff have you requested information from the Adoption Authority? If you know the agency involved in your adoption write directly to them and ask specific questions - ideas of questions are available on the tracing guides on this forum. once you have a bit of info you can start your search. The tracing guides are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sheba99

Geoff42 wrote: »
    Hello all,

Late joining but hopefully not too late. I was born in the national maternity hospital late 1973. My BM stayed in the Dunboyne Convent and I was wondering if there were any contacts there during this time. I am looking to track my BM.

Many thanks

The Adoption Right Alliance have tracing information and guides on their website as well as information about where to apply for your records. I can't post links because I am regarded as a new member on boards so check the ARA out on google and also they have a facebook group. Good luck with your search.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Trace Guides are also available in the sticky on the front page of the Adoption forum.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carolann66

Very late joining this forum, I know. I was born in 1966 in Holles Street. My mother had been in Dunboyne. We reunited 20 years ago, but I live out of the country so don't get to see her much. I am very happy she is in my life, she is lovely. I don't know if her experience is rare, but she says that she was treated quite well in the home. She talks about having to make holy pictures out of x-rays in a basement. Does anyone else remember this? Also, she had me with her for three months after my birth, until I was adopted. She wanted to keep me but was advised heavily against it. C

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sheba99

carolann66 wrote: »
    Very late joining this forum, I know. I was born in 1966 in Holles Street. My mother had been in Dunboyne. We reunited 20 years ago, but I live out of the country so don't get to see her much. I am very happy she is in my life, she is lovely. I don't know if her experience is rare, but she says that she was treated quite well in the home. She talks about having to make holy pictures out of x-rays in a basement. Does anyone else remember this? Also, she had me with her for three months after my birth, until I was adopted. She wanted to keep me but was advised heavily against it. C

I was there in 1974. I do not remember having to make pictures but some remember making rosary beads. I did not experience bad treatment as such but the very act of incarcerating us because we were pregnant outside marriage and forcing us to give our infants for adoption was abuse of our human and civil rights. We did not make informed decisions about adoption because we were not given choices. By 1974, as far as I am aware, babies were mostly taken from mothers in Holles Street Hospital and either given to the adopting family or places in infant homes until they were ready for adoption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ann Marie 2

I was there from Dec 80- May 81,with a last minute change of heart my father gave permission for my baby to come home with me, she will be 35 in may and has two kids! I will never forget my time there... Met some lovely girls and heard some sad stories!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

One of our new posters who hasn't quite got the hang of how the Boards works- has just tried to post the following.

Hope you're all had a good weekend-

Shane
    blueroom90 wrote: »
    blueroom90 Me too after 25 years. I was there in 1990 from May to November. It brings back such memories for me. I stayed in the blue room and shared it with two others. Then moved to the cubicles when I got bigger. I remember cleaning that red corridor outside SR Anne's office. The dog Ivan. Chrissie and Etna that worked there. Sheila that gave us the ante natal classes. I also remember the money man coming on a Tuesday and giving is pocket money!! The visitors room that I cried so often in. The chapel was beautiful. The smokers room and the phone box that I waited everyday for a call, that phone box was under the stairs and we loved getting a call, everyone ringing asking for different names that never existed. The laundry washing outside in the room. You could just go there for a think. I too remember the prayers in the morning. The knitting and the envelopes in boxes. The big oak tree outside and wishing somebody would come and get me. The girls are what kept me going. The back stairs and we going to Holles street in the bus. Taken in the back door so nobody saw us. I remember being on phone duty and door duty in the convent. The first room to the left in the main door. We never used that entrance of course we used the side entrance. I never cried as much in that house before and after the birth. The girls standing waving me off. Such memories at 16 I will never forget. Rosemary

• Registered Users Posts: 1 william kenny

Hello not sure how to start this I was in Dunboyne in 1965 I was there with my mother for two and a half years.I am in my 50's now I never got to meet my mam but I did meet her family It still hurt's to think of it now. It is hard for a man to admit he is hurting but I do need to talk to someone

William, it might be an idea to contact the Adoption Rights Alliance. They may know of support groups across the country. I know there is one in Cork who meet regularly. I hope meeting your birth mum's family has been a positive experience for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jessie64

To laura1968, I think I am the Siobhan Mary you referred to, as I was there from summer 84 to late Jan 85. I have some memory of the Place but I feel reading the posts it's very familiar and does not stir up many happy memories. My story does have a good ending as my daughter thanks to the indiscretion of my social worker gave all my details to her adoptive parents and her mum was able to keep tabs on me, she sent me a Facebook message nearly 10 yrs ago and we have kept in contact. I have been happily married and my husband knew the whole story and we told our children who now have a good relationship with their sister. 'Out of a negative situation came a good positive situation'
    I hope to hear from you Laura

• Advertisement

Laura1968 wrote: »
    I remember Kathy(?), but couldn't remember her name. I think I have worked in the same place as her since, but never felt I could approach her with work colleagues around. I had a great conversation with her on the typewriter on one of her first days. The nuns had given her some typing to do for them, and we continued on having a conversation using the typewriter, she'd type something, then I'd take it and answer. Pre internet form of instant messaging, I suppose :-)

Yes, Bernie was the small, wiry girl from Galway. I think she only turned 14 after her baby was born. The Siobhan from Cork that I knew was gone before me, so don't think that is the Mary you're talking about, but if we already had a Siobhan and a Siobhan Mary when she arrived, then another variation would have to be found, I suppose.

Was Helen the lady who had her own car, a small red one? I met her since. She had been adamant her baby was going for adoption. She was not a kid, like some of us, she was older, had a good job, and had leave of absence to "disappear", but would be resuming her life after the baby was born. I met her about 4 years later in Abbey street, her son was living with her, having never gone for adoption after all, despite going to foster care initially, and she was in touch with his Dad (he lived overseas) and they were happy.

I remember packing the envelopes, but only very rarely. I can't understand how/why I wasn't doing that. I know school lessons were late afternoons and evenings after tea, as the teachers who come in to us taught in regular schools, and came to us out of hours as it were. I know I slipped on the concrete floor in the laundry when I heavily pregnant, and was carefully monitored by Sr Claire in case I might go into labour early, but all was well.

Will write more later, need to go to work! :-)[/quote
    Hello Laura1968 I read your post and think I was there with you late 84 to Jan 85, hopefully you get this message

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lilliemaie

I was there from Dec 80- May 81,with a last minute change of heart my father gave permission for my baby to come home with me, she will be 35 in may and has two kids! I will never forget my time there... Met some lovely girls and heard some sad stories!

I was there from March till May 1981 Think I remember you were a small attractive blond or red haired girl I was known as Margaret have only logged in after a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 5 carmelkelly

Hi amy ..my name is carmel ..i was known as cara ...in dunboyne from jan 87 to may 87

Hi i think i was in dunboyne with u ..as i rember siobhan from cork and helen with the red car ..i was there from jan 87 till may 87 .my name was cara

All sounds sooo familiar xx

Hi amy ...i was there in jan till may 1987 my name was cara i was 16

Hi i was in dunboyne from jan87 till may 87 .. my name was cara ... id love to hear from anyone that was there at that time x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

Anyone there July/76-feb77

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nowanathiest

All of the discussions I have seen to date on this topic has been around Mothers/babies/nuns and priests.
    why is there no discussion of the Fathers of these children and their obligations to the women and society?

I think you are very right all you said but you must realise that many if the girls were sent by their parents who believed the NUNS were good and would look after their child, as we all now know that was not the case. The whole situation is horrible and has left many many girls scared physically and mentally for life

• Advertisement

Just wondering when were you in the Dunboyne Good Shepherd Convent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 1982LOSTSOUL

my mother was in this home from jan to july 82, from what ive heard it was hell. we are very lucky to have each other. my mom fought to keep me and with the help of her father i got to say with her. i hope you get to meet your darling angel some day x

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nellan

Hi there, I was there too on those same dates and remember stuffing the cards into envelopes & cellophane sleeves in a shed down the gardens someplace. Actually found the repetitive motion of this relaxing lol!! Otherwise I don't remember much. It was not a bad place and I was very happy to hide away from the trauma of being pregnant in those times as an unmarried mother. I met some nice girls. They usually 'disappeared' once giving birth in Holles Street and I never saw anyone bring any babies back to the home. I remember the TV room in the evenings and the lines of chairs with us sitting & some girls knitting for their babies to pass the time. Losing my baby to the circumstances of the time was horrific but Dunboyne was a safe recluse for me at a very very difficult & traumatic time

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Claire9592

Try using 23andME! My dad has found his biological family through that. Msg me if you need further help or info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wnut3

My birth mother was in the Good Shepard in Dunboyne in 1976. I was born in March 1976 in Holles St. She was from Donegal and her name was Margaret. I traced her many years ago through the adoption agency but for whatever reasons she doesnt want contact.
    After I traced her an aunt of my biological mother contacted me and we kept in touch until she died and I now keep in touch with this aunts daughter.
    My wonderful adoptive mother passed away a few weeks ago and it was my birthday a couple of days later and at the same time the Tuam babies were in the news. I felt a real pull. Can't describe it. But I remembered being told that my birth mother was in some place in Dunboyne. I Googled it and found this thread.
    I'm just back from Dunboyne castle hotel today were I walked into the side corridor of the original house and the "library" and found a very grand staircase leading to the top of the original house.
    I'm just wondering if anyone can give me an insight into how it was in 1976. Was there abuse? Were you all treated really badly?
    I know Ireland was such a different place at that time.
    And Im sorry if I'm opening any old wounds for any of you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

lilliemaie wrote: »
    I was there from March till May 1981 Think I remember you were a small attractive blond or red haired girl I was known as Margaret have only logged in after a long time

Hi Lilliemaie do you remember Christina very small dark hair ? Gave birth in march 1980

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TR1989

HI I was in Dunboyne in April May 1989 and I was happy to read all the previous posts as sometimes it feels like a dream. I remember Sr Anne who I thought was kind and the dog. I remember the TV room in the evenings as we sat there all of us not allowed to use our real names-I can't remember the one I had. I cleaned the toilets and peeled the potatoes and i was very home sick. I think they felt sorry for me and called my parents to take me home for a short break and didnt i go into labour at home and had to be taken into the local hospital by the back door so no one could see me and straight into a private room. I will never forget the way that the nurses looked at me when i arrived with nothing not even a bag for me or my baby. I felt so low. I was only 17 yrs and had a baby boy that i looked after for 3 days and then back home as if nothing happened. I went back to Dunboyne to collect my few things and felt so sorry for all the mothers as I knew by then what they were facing. I am 45yrs old now and have kept this information to myself other than my immediate family and feel like just telling people my story now and don't see the point in keeping this secret. i hope my son will contact me --not sure how i would go about trying to find him? i did put my details up on the adoption register but any other help that anyone can offer would be great? i wish all the mothers out there the very best and i am so happy that some have been reunited with their children it that was their wish....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TR1989

Hi

i was there approx the same time as you April/May 1989. I never got any counselling and have kept all inside since. i am probably late replying now. Some things i can remember and others i can't -i think i buried it all in the back of my mind, but reading all of this is helping me remember it. I do remember the first room we were taken to with my parents and i felt so low. my son was 28yrs in May and every year i hope to hear from him but nothing yet but i live in hope. i told my husband before we married, but whenever we disagree on something or fall out-he reminds me of the fact that i gave my son away and that i have a 'past'. its hard enough to live with the sadness of giving up your son but to be reminded of it in a hurtful way is hard. i am so glad that some got to keep their babies and others have made contact -it gives me hope.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lilliemaie

RANIA wrote: »
    Hi Lilliemaie do you remember Christina very small dark hair ? Gave birth in march 1980

Hi RANA I was there 1981 not 1980 Christine but think it was Kristine sorry. o here from some Would like to get in touch with some one from my time. Did get one girl on facebook. Nice to here from you. Talk again.

• Advertisement

Firstly so sorry your baby was taken from you - that is something your husband needs to realise and not treat the situation as if you chose to give him away. How dare he use it against you, to cause you further hurt. At some point I think you should sit down with him and calmly explain how horrible and disrespectful that is.

Please look up the tracing guides on the sticky thread - finding your son can happen. My husband found his birth mum and I daresay lifted a huge weight from her shoulders. A weight she, like any birth mum, should not have had to carry or kept secret. You did nothing wrong xx

TR1989 wrote: »
    Hi

i was there approx the same time as you April/May 1989. I never got any counselling and have kept all inside since. i am probably late replying now. Some things i can remember and others i can't -i think i buried it all in the back of my mind, but reading all of this is helping me remember it. I do remember the first room we were taken to with my parents and i felt so low. my son was 28yrs in May and every year i hope to hear from him but nothing yet but i live in hope. i told my husband before we married, but whenever we disagree on something or fall out-he reminds me of the fact that i gave my son away and that i have a 'past'. its hard enough to live with the sadness of giving up your son but to be reminded of it in a hurtful way is hard. i am so glad that some got to keep their babies and others have made contact -it gives me hope.....

Advertisement