Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career Advice

Options
  • 30-09-2015 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I studied a HND in graphic design a few years back before moving to the UK to study for a degree. While I was in the UK studying I fell ill and moved back home before completing the degree. Luckily enough, the part time job I held here while studying were good to me and I have since been promoted numerous times. I have recently bought my first house and have settled with my small family.

My problem lies in the fact that now I have decided I would love to pursue a career in design of some sort. I would hop on the opportunity of a placement for some experience (most jobs advertise 2+ years experience) but in my position I feel it is not feasible giving up a full time job for a potential 6 month unpaid placement. I would take the opportunity to complete a degree either part time or at home bar the fact my current job requires me to work 2-3 evenings a week. Literally at wits end looking for an insight.

Any one here in the industry with some advice as where to go or an insight in to where I should start?

PS proficient in PS, Illustrator, 3ds Max and Maya and have a keen interest classical and digital animation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mother Brain

I studied a HND in graphic design a few years back before moving to the UK to study for a degree. While I was in the UK studying I fell ill and moved back home before completing the degree. Luckily enough, the part time job I held here while studying were good to me and I have since been promoted numerous times. I have recently bought my first house and have settled with my small family.

My problem lies in the fact that now I have decided I would love to pursue a career in design of some sort. I would hop on the opportunity of a placement for some experience (most jobs advertise 2+ years experience) but in my position I feel it is not feasible giving up a full time job for a potential 6 month unpaid placement. I would take the opportunity to complete a degree either part time or at home bar the fact my current job requires me to work 2-3 evenings a week. Literally at wits end looking for an insight.

Any one here in the industry with some advice as where to go or an insight in to where I should start?

PS proficient in PS, Illustrator, 3ds Max and Maya and have a keen interest classical and digital animation.

Have you considered trying to save up the cash to support yourself through a 6 month placement before embarking on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 up_for_change

Have you considered trying to save up the cash to support yourself through a 6 month placement before embarking on it?

Yes, I surely have. Problem is as a first time home owner in the last 6 months I am still finding my feet in terms of regular and irregular bills. Ideally that would be my first solution and it may work. Other side of that being that a lot of the people I have spoken to, both people I studied with and others, have said that a lot of companies take liberties in hiring and letting go placements with no intention of ever hiring anyone! A sort of free employment..... May I state I'm not willing to give up a job to take a social welfare payment in order to "get my foot in their door" as some people have suggested to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 up_for_change

Yes, I surely have. Problem is as a first time home owner in the last 6 months I am still finding my feet in terms of regular and irregular bills. Ideally that would be my first solution and it may work. Other side of that being that a lot of the people I have spoken to, both people I studied with and others, have said that a lot of companies take liberties in hiring and letting go placements with no intention of ever hiring anyone! A sort of free employment..... May I state I'm not willing to give up a job to take a social welfare payment in order to "get my foot in their door" as some people have suggested to me.

Advertisement