Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books to avoid like a bookworm on a diet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 josephineperry

Twilight, full moon, and all this stuff by Stephanie Meyer. I tried to read the first book because I had heard so much about it I wanted to give it a try. Awfully written, I don't get all the hype... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. So very very dull and a remarkably slow read for such a relatively short book.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DB Cooper 23

Under the Dome by Stephen King. That man doesn't know how to write an ending

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Kev W wrote: »
    Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. So very very dull and a remarkably slow read for such a relatively short book.
    Sorry but Jurassic Park is definitely not a book to avoid as the thread says, its pretty much a genre classic.

Thargor wrote: »
    Sorry but Jurassic Park is definitely not a book to avoid as the thread says, its pretty much a genre classic.

But it's SO DULL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would it be dull if you'd never seen the film and didnt know the plot so well because of that though? Thats not the books fault...

Thargor wrote: »
    Would it be dull if you'd never seen the film and didnt know the plot so well because of that though? Thats not the books fault...

It's actually the prose style I found tedious, not the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Under the Dome by Stephen King. That man doesn't know how to write an ending

Haven't read that particular book, but I remember reading a lot of his books as a teenager and finding the end to be the hardest part to get through, and thinking exactly the same thing as yourself.

I read the recent Kennedy book which was an exception i.e. proper ending, and it was an enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Anything by Margaret Atwood. Both tedious and disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Anything by Margaret Atwood. Both tedious and disturbing.

I'd disagree with this and say that she has some duds. The Oryx and Crake trilogy is excellent, bar the last book, which is a missed opportunity. Pish.

On this front I really enjoyed Haruki Murakami right up until IQ84. That was a very lengthy load a baws.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Dades wrote: »
    I found "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova really turgid.
    A lot of words but very little happening.

Half way through now, I only read it when I can't sleep.

Funny, I quite liked it. It was turgid in parts, I agree, but I persevered. And re-read it a couple of years later.

Anything by Frank McCourt

BossArky wrote: »
    Steer well clear of Paulo Coelho's "The Valkyries", a joke of a book..
    All his stuff is crap.

Merrick wrote: »
    Amongst Women by John McGahern.
    I had to study it for school. It led to some of the worst English classes I have ever experienced.
    Totally disagree. It is a dismal book. Not great as a school text, but it is a powerful book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

katydid wrote: »
    Totally disagree. It is a dismal book. Not great as a school text, but it is a powerful book.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I'm a big fan of the singer Morrissey, really enjoyed his Autobiography, really well written with the brilliant turn of phrase that you'd expect from this great lyricist.

However his new offering List of the Lost is like a pothole...to be avoided at all costs.

Here's a sample of what you will enjoy if you don't heed my advice

“At this, Eliza and Ezra rolled together into the one giggling snowball of full-figured copulation, screaming and shouting as they playfully bit and puled at each other in a dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of sexually violent rotation with Eliza’s breasts barrel-rolled across Ezra’s howling mouth and the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation extenuating his excitement as it whacked and smacked its way into every muscle of Eliza’s body except for the otherwise central zone.”

boobar wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the singer Morrissey, really enjoyed his Autobiography, really well written with the brilliant turn of phrase that you'd expect from this great lyricist.

However his new offering List of the Lost is like a pothole...to be avoided at all costs.

Here's a sample of what you will enjoy if you don't heed my advice

“At this, Eliza and Ezra rolled together into the one giggling snowball of full-figured copulation, screaming and shouting as they playfully bit and puled at each other in a dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of sexually violent rotation with Eliza’s breasts barrel-rolled across Ezra’s howling mouth and the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation extenuating his excitement as it whacked and smacked its way into every muscle of Eliza’s body except for the otherwise central zone.”

Wow. I had no idea that Morrissey has never had sex.

The things you learn, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I'm currently struggling through A Hand Reached Down to Guide Me by David Gates. I find all the characters annoying, pretentious arseholes, and so far all the stories appear to be pretty much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Kev W wrote: »
    Wow. I had no idea that Morrissey has never had sex.

The things you learn, eh?

I dunno about Moz but his description has certainly put me off it for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

The Expats by Chris Pavone.

It's not possible to write a book this bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Us by David Nichols. I tried to get into it, I really did. But my god that story dragged for me, and I had to give up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Us by David Nichols. I tried to get into it, I really did. But my god that story dragged for me, and I had to give up on it.

Agreed! I thought the wife was an absolute gowl tbh. Lots of things rang really false, also the descriptions of Europe never surpassed a fourth-class "what I did on my holidays" essay.

I finished it but out of annoyance!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Nearly finished All is silence Manual Rivas.

Translation from Galician is very ropey in places tbh.

The book is good in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I quit on that one as well, I did like One Day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Chicken Soup for the Soul. White picket fence, apple pie cooling overly-American sentimentalist drivel!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 isntlee

War and Peace

When I realised that two characters I particularly disliked would probably survive the tale, book got tossed, after 800 pages.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

isntlee wrote: »
    War and Peace

When I realised that two characters I particularly disliked would probably survive the tale, book got tossed, after 800 pages.

Don't start me on W&P. F**king Pierre :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 telpis

any jane austen :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

telpis wrote: »
    any jane austen :(
    "Ah, Miss Dashwood. Would I seem forward if I sat on the toilet seat while it was still warm after you?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

C.Bronte-Jane Eyre
    Longeurs alert

Kipling-Kim
    I read the whole thing without actually becoming absorbed in what the hell it was they were doing.

Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance

Zen and the art of complete bollocks.

The Secret
    The secret is that there's no secret.

Anything by James Patterson or

Dean Koontz

Advertisement