Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would be the Irish Rugby team's official nickname?

Options
  • 20-09-2015 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

The All Blacks/Kiwis just beat the Pumas and I just realised that we have no nickname. If we were to be assigned one, what would you like to see us called.

I like the Wolfhounds, given its status in Irish mythology and more obviously as the second team are already called the Ireland Wolfhounds and so it seems like a natural fit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

dmullins3 wrote: »
    The All Blacks/Kiwis just beat the Pumas and I just realised that we have no nickname. If we were to be assigned one, what would you like to see us called.

I like the Wolfhounds, given its status in Irish mythology and more obviously as the second team are already called the Ireland Wolfhounds and so it seems like a natural fit.

The Fenians... It would drive people nuts :-)

Being serious, nicknames are tricky, a lot of teams have a broader flora and fauna to choose a nickname from than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I know it's the name of our 2nd team but I like the Irish Wolfhounds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

how about....

the micks & billys

gives it an all ireland emphasis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I would like us to remain nickname-free.

Applying some contrived nickname to the team would just smack of marketing nonsense. The three sides mentioned in the OP have had their nicknames for decades or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Has to be The Green Machine. Our jearsys are green, we are like a machine and they rhyme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Craggy Islanders.

And whenever Sexton is about to kick the ball the crowd should chant 'down with this sort of thing.'

And as the ball is in the air, 'careful now.'

Actually, perhaps not.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think a nickname is a splendid idea and one that would move us into the modern era of international sport.

Our troubled mixed-up history leaves us with a bizarre legacy that really is out of step with the financial business that is internation level rugby these days : witness the nonsense of two anthems when in Lansdowne, or two flags being paraded for one team yesterday in the principality, or our recruitment of foreigners to play for us simply because the stay here long enough earning their crust and couldnt make their home country's international teams.

What we need is something marketable, that the world at large would readily associate with us, that would have a quick hook for logos and merchandise, a lovable character that would appeal to kids, etc.

I can propose : 'The Leprechauns'.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

Les verts

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stadedublinois

lunarhog wrote: »
    Les verts

In French we use XV du trèfle (shamrock) as the nickname

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

So you think we are a trifle hein !

See you on the 11th of October, :mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They think it's all clover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Maybe as the 2nd XV are the Irish Wolfhounds the nickname for the 1st team should be the Irish Wolves.

The Wolves were the top predator here long before humans & hounds.

The young Wolves - for the Under 20's

The spuds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's all so complicated. New Zealanders are referred to as Kiwis, because, well, kiwis come from there. Australians as Wallabies because it's their national symbol, French as frogs because they eat them.

So really a mix of symbol, well known produce and stuff we eat would be appropriate. Shamspudages anyone?

The balaclavas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Those lads who had all those problems with each other but somehow managed to reconcile through rugby team.

Are we not already kind of known as the micks though?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The shamrocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

The Badgers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

rrpc wrote: »
    It's all so complicated. New Zealanders are referred to as Kiwis, because, well, kiwis come from there. Australians as Wallabies because it's their national symbol, French as frogs because they eat them.
    We are not frogs. Frogs is what the English like to call us. Exactly like we call them les rosbifs.

Our nickname is a lot more simple and straightforward: Les Bleus.
    Yeah we just go by each country's emblem.

England: le XV de la rose.
    Ireland: le XV du trèfle (shamrock).
    Italy: la squadra azzurra sometimes shortened as la squadra (the sky-blue team). We actually use the italian words, we don't translate.
    Scotland: le XV du chardon (thistle).
    Wales: le XV du poireau (leek).

Our emblem is le coq (gaulois) (the Gallic rooster) but we just call oiurselves le XV de France.

Outside Europe:
    Argentina: les Pumas
    Australia: les Wallabies.
    New Zealand: les All Blacks or just les Blacks. we almost never use les kiwis.
    South Africa: les Springboks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Those lads who had all those problems with each other but somehow managed to reconcile through rugby team.

South Africa? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The Shamrocks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Hibernians

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Felix Jones'

Then people could make Keeping up with the Jones' references.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I'll settle for 2015 RWC Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SleazeMerchant

The Wild Cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

iroced wrote: »
    We are not frogs. d: France.

Sorry.

Surrender monkeys.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Seen as its topical what about THE WEST BRITS :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,003 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah lads if there's no obvious historical, political or natural symbol, AND if we have all that north/south **** to consider, we should just go with something completely random and awesome.

I vote: The Thunder Bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

"Max Power" I got it off a hair dryer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement