Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience opportunities in Geology

Options
  • 16-09-2015 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello!

I am looking for a change in career and want to look at different options in Geology. As such I have a few questions I hope someone may answer;

Where are the best places to look for voluntary/work-placement type positions?

How is the sector currently looking in terms of future employment prospects and funding?

I do not currently possess a Geology degree (I hold a BSc Disaster Management), just a healthy knowledge of the subject. To what extent might this hold me back from moving into this field without going back to university?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

adamtayl0r wrote: »
    Hello!

I am looking for a change in career and want to look at different options in Geology. As such I have a few questions I hope someone may answer;

Where are the best places to look for voluntary/work-placement type positions?

How is the sector currently looking in terms of future employment prospects and funding?

I do not currently possess a Geology degree (I hold a BSc Disaster Management), just a healthy knowledge of the subject. To what extent might this hold me back from moving into this field without going back to university?

Hi there,

I'll start off with I'm not trying to be negative in any way, just helpful and realistic. I've studied geology and while I don't work in that field hopefully I can give a little insight, I'm sure there are other people who can help even more than me.

First of all geology is a huge field, have you considered what area you'd potentially like to work in? Also with the geological knowledge you do have, can you identify different minerals and rocks types? Do you understand stratigraphy or what about metamorphic petrology. Can you use GIS? These just a few different things, it really depends on the field you are in.

I would say without going back to study geology and gain a relevant degree in it you would have little hope of getting into a field unless you had a significant amount of experience. TCD, UCD and NUIG produce geology gradates each year, many of whom go onto do masters and PhD's, so there is quite a lot of competition for low end graduate jobs.

Again I'm not trying to be dismissive or negative just realistic and make you think about getting into geology.

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adamtayl0r

Step23 wrote: »

I would say without going back to study geology and gain a relevant degree in it you would have little hope of getting into a field unless you had a significant amount of experience. TCD, UCD and NUIG produce geology gradates each year, many of whom go onto do masters and PhD's, so there is quite a lot of competition for low end graduate jobs.

This was my biggest fear as I currently can't afford to fund myself a masters or conversion course.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

adamtayl0r wrote: »
    This was my biggest fear as I currently can't afford to fund myself a masters or conversion course.

Just another point from my own observations from looking at Geology/Enviro Science job specs;

Most low end jobs in geology/environmental science type jobs, either ask for a relevant degree or several years experience, so work experience wise you'd possibly need anywhere between 3 - 5 years of voluntary work somewhere... So it would seem going back to college would be your best option, although as you say you can't afford it at the moment. Hopefully you can save up and possibly do it in the future.

Best of luck with whatever you do.

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Any luck?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

What's Disaster Management and why can't he do that for a living?

• Advertisement
Advertisement