Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary schools to get Tricolour for 1916 centenary

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

recipio wrote: »
    Many of us are asserting that the present banana Republic we live in was simply not worth all the bloodletting started by the 1916 generation.To present it to our schoolchildren as a worthwhile cause is disgusting.
    It's funny though how many of those who decry the bloodletting of the Rising are usually to be found elsewhere glorifying the 49,000 Irish dead from WW1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well that certainly ranks amongst one of the most ridiculous commentaries I've ever read on this site.
    I think his point is more that it wasn't a legitimate act of war, rather than pointing out that they were breaking the law. Armed insurrections are of course by any definition illegal, it's not even necessary to point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

kneemos wrote: »
    I think the issue is celebrating an unsuccessful rising that nobody wanted.

Well, it was ultimately successful in that Collins made the country ungovernable. All this is 'whatiffery' to a large extent but thankfully Nationalist upsurges tend to be decided democratically nowadays as in the case of Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Nodin wrote: »
    I don't think your unionist perspective would be backed up by Diarmaid Ferriter, tbh.

Indeed Diarmaid Ferriter is no Unionist, but listening to him on the radio from time to time discussing the Easter Rising is eye opening (for the uninitiated).

That piece I wrote about the rebels being a minority (within a minority of the IRB) is taken directly from Diarmaid teaching on the Rising. You don't have to be a Unionist to read history. He also alerted me to the fact that it wasn't the gunboat Helga that destroyed large swathes of O'Connell Street, but rather 'looters' who set fires after their looting spree! Hence O'Connell Street was reduced to rubble during that week.

What a sorry mess.

Well, it was ultimately successful in that Collins made the country ungovernable. All this is 'whatiffery' to a large extent but thankfully Nationalist upsurges tend to be decided democratically nowadays as in the case of Scotland.

We did have a democratic upsurge too prior to WW1 but it was undemocraticaly defeated by the army mutiny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LordSutch wrote: »
    Indeed Diarmaid (..............)week.

What a sorry mess.

Look at the bright side Sutch, next year you'll be able to empathise with a whole new group of people - you'll know exactly how Germans of a certain unrepentant sympathy feel on VE day.

He also alerted me to the fact that it wasn't the gunboat Helga that destroyed large swathes of O'Connell Street, but rather 'looters' who set fires after their looting spree! Hence O'Connell Street was reduced to rubble during that week.

What a sorry mess.
    Yes I remember reading that certain buildings on O'Connell Street were heavily targeted by looters as they belonged to William Martin Murphy. But I would think it likely the british artillery would have had an effect, if you extrapolate from the the damage that was done to Liberty Hall and the surrounding buildings which were shelled by the 18pdrs and the Helga

http://www.historyireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/The-Irish-Citizen-Army-1913-16-White-Larkin-and-Connolly-6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Indeed Diarmaid Ferriter is no Unionist, but listening to him on the radio from time to time discussing the Easter Rising is eye opening (for the uninitiated).

That piece I wrote about the rebels being a minority (within a minority of the IRB) is taken directly from Diarmaid teaching on the Rising. You don't have to be a Unionist to read history. He also alerted me to the fact that it wasn't the gunboat Helga that destroyed large swathes of O'Connell Street, but rather 'looters' who set fires after their looting spree! Hence O'Connell Street was reduced to rubble during that week.

What a sorry mess.

It's fairly common knowledge that the ICA gave Murphys properties a good kicking during rising as payback for 1913, and fair play to them.

But it was the helga that reduced everything to rubble

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Bambi wrote: »
    It's fairly common knowledge that the ICA gave Murphys properties a good kicking during rising as payback for 1913, and fair play to them.

But it was the helga that reduced everything to rubble
    I'm loving that you just outright contradict a historian without providing any kind of backup. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

About time we started embracing our national flag. I think all public places should have it flown proudly. I really like the way the Americans are proud of their flag and wish we could be as proud of ours.

Similarly the main square in Mexico city has a gigantic Mexican flag and it's impressive tbh.

I'd certainly like to see one on O'Connell Street rather than the bland giant steel syringe that sits in the middle of it.

Ah the Americans are WAY to precious about thier flag though. I would not like to see it taken to thier extremes.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Are we really paying soldiers to do this crap? Really? Nationalism should stay out of schools, it's not appropriate for the government to push any kind of ideology on children. Our schools should be a blank canvas.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Are we really paying soldiers to do this crap? Really? Nationalism should stay out of schools, it's not appropriate for the government to push any kind of ideology on children. Our schools should be a blank canvas.

*snicker

Yeah, like you believe that. If it wasn't a nationalist gesture you'd be fine with it.

*snicker

Yeah, like you believe that. If it wasn't a nationalist gesture you'd be fine with it.
    Nope, I'm not to keen on public schools or armed forces at the best of times, the govt certainly shouldn't be using them to import ideology on children.

Thankfully I don't have any kids but if I did they'd be getting a day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Nope, I'm not to keen on public schools or armed forces at the best of times, the govt certainly shouldn't be using them to import ideology on children.

I hear there all going to learn the words to the rifles of the ira aswell
    :rolleyes:

There hanging the national flag at national schools and you've managed to find issue with it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

It's funny though how many of those who decry the bloodletting of the Rising are usually to be found elsewhere glorifying the 49,000 Irish dead from WW1

At least those who died in the rising actually died for something. There was no freedom at stake in Europe in WWI and no actual cause to fight for. Defend the colonies against other colonists? Meh...

WWI should be remembered as one of the most trivial wastes of young lives in human history.
    Many of us are asserting that the present banana Republic we live in was simply not worth all the bloodletting started by the 1916 generation.To present it to our schoolchildren as a worthwhile cause is disgusting.

So we squandered our Independence and failed to build a utopia. That doesn't mean the cause of Independence wasn't worth it -- the leaders of the Rising were dead. They're not responsible for the failures & shambles that came afterwards. Our failures --not theirs.

If anything, the failures of our state are disrespectful to the memories of those who died for it. Now that's disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I was discussing this with someone and I think that the above is the best action to take. It would be interesting to know how much this is going to cost? Schools are complaining about a lack of funding but the powers that be have no problem wasting god knows how much on this, which has no place in our schools.

The celebrations next Easter will be another scandalous waste of money. I suspect that there will be a sequence of horrifically expensive events in Dublin city centre. There will also be the biggest p'ss up of all time to accompany it. Best to book a holiday abroad that weekend.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would like to see the flag design revisited, as I do not believe that it represents the RoI of today. A sizeable proportion; those who are not idealistic Irish republicans or strong minded Protestants, are not represented in the flag.
    WWI should be remembered as one of the most trivial wastes of young lives in human history.

You could say the exact same thing about 1916. The RoI today is closer to the UK, in every aspects of everyday life than it was at that time. I am very happy that that is the case, for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Berserker wrote: »
    I would like to see the flag design revisited, as I do not believe that it represents the RoI of today. A sizeable proportion; those who are not idealistic Irish republicans or strong minded Protestants, are not represented in the flag.

What exactly are you?

The RoI today is closer to the UK, in every aspects of everyday life than it was at that time. I am very happy that that is the case, for the record.

That English Premier League has a lot to answer for ! :D

On a slightly unrelated note, I would like to see the flag design revisited, as I do not believe that it represents the RoI of today. A sizeable proportion; those who are not idealistic Irish republicans or strong minded Protestants, are not represented in the flag.

Your bit is the white bit so......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I was discussing this with someone and I think that the above is the best action to take. It would be interesting to know how much this is going to cost? Schools are complaining about a lack of funding but the powers that be have no problem wasting god knows how much on this, which has no place in our schools.

The celebrations next Easter will be another scandalous waste of money. I suspect that there will be a sequence of horrifically expensive events in Dublin city centre. There will also be the biggest p'ss up of all time to accompany it. Best to book a holiday abroad that weekend.

You could say the exact same thing about 1916. The RoI today is closer to the UK, in every aspects of everyday life than it was at that time. I am very happy that that is the case, for the record.

Maybe you should move over to the "mainland" so. Surrender your passport at the airport and we'll have it destroyed.

• Advertisement

If anything, the failures of our state are disrespectful to the memories of those who died for it. Now that's disgusting.
    Exactly, you'd wonder how some of them are able to keep a straight face while they recite the Proclamation

Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

sdanseo wrote: »
    Maybe you should move over to the "mainland" so. Surrender your passport at the airport and we'll have it destroyed.

And here we see the problem with blind nationalism. If you don't 100% agree with us, then **** off elsewhere you traitor.

It's ironic that the people who are really in favour of this, are the same ones that were glad to see the Union flag taken down from Belfast City Hall because it doesn't represent all the people that live up there, yet in today's multicultural society expect six year old kids to stand to attention in front of the tri colour.

I have no problem with people waving flags if that's what they want to do, nor do I have people being proud of their country, but soldiers visiting primary schools and putting up flags just seems wrong to me.

(que Junkyard Tom telling me that he doesn't care what a Brit says)

Lovely.
    State indoctrination doesn't sit with me, sorry* if that annoys you.

*I'm not sorry.

If you don't 100% agree with us, then **** off elsewhere you traitor.

The person didn't have to be told he suggested '****ing off' himself. Sometimes it's genuinely diffucult to tell if people like Beserker are actually Irish. Note the sneering comments and ambiguous nationality. Check this out:
    Or we could just knock it off the billions that you owe us from the loan we gave you during your banking system collapse. As usual, you were over in London with 'cap in hand' when it all went wrong.

Bizarre crisis of identity going on there accompanied by sneering at the Irish people. What the actual fuck is going on there?
    It's ironic that the people who are really in favour of this, are the same ones that were glad to see the Union flag taken down from Belfast City Hall because it doesn't represent all the people that live up there, yet in today's multicultural society expect six year old kids to stand to attention in front of the tri colour.

The flag wasn't taken down - its flying was synchronized with the days its flown in Britain. The 24/7/365 flying was the usual bunch trying to mark territory that they no longer have absolute control of. **** 'em.

State indoctrination doesn't sit with me,

I would have thought you, as a nervous conservative type, would thoroughly embrace state indoctrination of the unruly youth. You see, if you look at the origins of modern schooling (The Prussian-Industrial Model) its function is to train children for obedience, their future role in industry/economy and respect for hierarchy.

We couldn't have a load of little rebels, anarchists and free thinkers running around the place upsetting the status quo now could we? That simply wouldn't do.

State indoctrination doesn't sit with me, sorry* if that annoys you.

*I'm not sorry.

I'd suggest that would depend on the state.

And here we see the problem with blind nationalism. If you don't 100% agree with us, then **** off elsewhere you traitor.

I'm not seeing the contradiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The person didn't have to be told he suggested '****ing off' himself. Sometimes it's genuinely diffucult to tell if people like Beserker are actually Irish.

And if they aren't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We couldn't have a load of little rebels, anarchists and free thinkers running around the place upsetting the status quo now could we? That simply wouldn't do.
    Yeah, because nothing screams "free thinking rebels" more than five-year-olds saluting a flag and reciting a defunct war declaration written 100 years ago.

I can guarantee you plenty of our teachers will have the kids learning the proclamation off by rote and lining them up in front of the class to recite it.

Advertisement