Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Hebdo makes fun of drowned Syrian boy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Satire?

I don't know, I tried to think like Charlie Hebdo and this cartoon appeared in my head, given they were in financial trouble and the tragedy helped sales.
    It saved them from having to make people redundant, I hope I am doing this right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

eet fuk wrote: »
    They should be shot for that type of carry on

Absolutely vile comment. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Theres tasteless and then theres mocking the death of an innocent child. Very poor behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

wakka12 wrote: »
    Theres tasteless and then theres mocking the death of an innocent child. Very poor behaviour

Which they are almost certainly not doing. If you don't understand the cartoon (which is fine, it comes from different satirical tradition, humour isn't an homogenous concept) then maybe dialling back the outrage would be advisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

RobertKK wrote: »
    I don't know, I tried to think like Charlie Hebdo and this cartoon appeared in my head, given they were in financial trouble and the tragedy helped sales.
    It saved them from having to make people redundant, I hope I am doing this right.

You are saying they orchestrated the massacres to make money and save on redundancy?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

You are saying they orchestrated the massacres to make money and save on redundancy?

no he is being very careful not to say that but make sure that everyone takes that impression away.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

I must be missing something. What exactly is so offensive about the cartoons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

F*cking disgusting .... absolutely f*cking disgusting, <snip>

No, maybe it should have had a cloud with a silver lining.
    Free speech, baby, when it is simply tasteless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

eet fuk wrote: »
    I must be missing something. What exactly is so offensive about the cartoons?

During the Nuremburg trial some of the convicted war criminals claimed their publications were satirical publications. Der Stormer. Peoples tempers are rising due to this carton being published. I hope French Muslims use the courts to sue them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

RobertKK wrote:
    Wrong, maybe try reading next time.

You're right. The pope's announcement was 5 days after the images of the dead child. I said it was 4days. Hardly a material difference.

Apart from that point, they have calculated how many refugees they could take in theory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Wow, speechless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I've an extremely dark sense of humor, and find many highly inappropriate things funny but I am absolutely disgusted by that mockery of the little boy found face down.

Shame on them.

RobertKK wrote: »
    No, maybe it should have had a cloud with a silver lining.
    Free speech, baby, when it is simply tasteless.

Ah so you were merely making a dark joke? Fair enough, the post read like dribbiling conspiraloon crap rather than satire but if it's the latter then I give you a delayed chuckle. You probably need to work on your comedic skills though.

You're right. The pope's announcement was 5 days after the images of the dead child. I said it was 4days. Hardly a material difference.

Apart from that point, they have calculated how many refugees they could take in theory.

But he has been speaking about it years before we had mass movement of refugees to Europe.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Ah so you were merely making a dark joke? Fair enough, the post read like dribbiling conspiraloon crap rather than satire but if it's the latter then I give you a delayed chuckle. You probably need to work on your comedic skills though.

As I said, I was thinking like Charlie Hebdo...

Candie wrote: »
    That's just horrible. I guess they feel they'll get a free pass on anything they say, no matter how tasteless.

If this is the case then i truly despair for the human race. Those drawings are disgusting and id consider myself a very non politically correct person with a dark sense of humour but this is a new level of low.

Which they are almost certainly not doing. If you don't understand the cartoon (which is fine, it comes from different satirical tradition, humour isn't an homogenous concept) then maybe dialling back the outrage would be advisable.

You're claiming certain knowledge of what they're not doing, so perhaps explain your analysis of the cross cultural chasm that the majority here have missed, that you so clearly understand.

That's a fairly huge attack on an organisation actually doing something. The alliance of right on atheists on the interweb hasn't done much.

Humm. I was explaining the cartoon which involved a dead child and Christan Europe. The poster didn't/doesn't get that it's the same child who prompted Europe's elected politicians and it's most famous men in dresses, into action.

That's the funniest thing about the cartoon. Either way the cartoon prompted discussion which is positive

Humm. I was explaining the cartoon which involved a dead child and Christan Europe. The poster didn't/doesn't get that it's the same child who prompted Europe's elected politicians and it's most famous men in dresses, into action.

That's the funniest thing about the cartoon. Either way the cartoon prompted discussion which is positive

You are still wrong, Europe had ships rescuing people before the dead child, Europe was funding refugee camps before the dead child.
    The pope has been speaking out about the people who live in these troubled countries way before any dead child.

• Advertisement

daRobot wrote: »
    You're claiming certain knowledge of what they're not doing, so perhaps explain your analysis of the cross cultural chasm that the majority here have missed, that you so clearly understand.

CH come from a tradition of relentlessly mocking the establishment & people with whom they disagreed, whether that be members of the French government, conservative Islam (which actually featured pretty rarely on their front pages) or the Front National. They use shocking images & crude caricatures to both provoke a reaction & to mock the thinking process of those with whom they disagree. Their cartoons are generally not to be taken at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Can somebody please post a link to an image of the cartoons in context? I haven't seen any word from Charlie Hebdo about the cartoons or any images that actually show the cartoons are from their magazine.

Not saying that they definitely aren't, but I need a little more evidence than Twitter spam. The main picture I've seen is not a cover of their magazine and the other one has no context except for the words "Charlie Hebdo" cut off at the top.

http://s11.postimg.org/qwl29k36b/Charlie_Hebdo.jpg

RobertKK wrote:
    But he has been speaking about it years before we had mass movement of refugees to Europe.

Ah so long as he has been speaking about it...

As a matter of interest, are you purposefully avoiding the inference that it was the dead child images which prompted him (along with much of Europe) to take in refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Deciphering visual text is tricky, especially when emotions run high.

In the first cartoon, one must ask 'Why use an image of MacDonalds'? Why MacDonalds? Is it unimportant? Would another image, usch as the word 'cafe' have sufficed? What does MacDonalds represent?

In the second

Why use the image of Christ'? Would any other image have sufficed? What does Christ represent to Christians, to the world at large?

To me, these cartoon are very very angry statements, directed against arrogance, duplicity, complacency and hypocrisy.

RobertKK wrote:
    You are still wrong, Europe had ships rescuing people before the dead child, Europe was funding refugee camps before the dead child. The pope has been speaking out about the people who live in these troubled countries way before any dead child.

Yes yes. You're right of course. Have you missed the change in attitude and approach to taking in refugees since the picture.

Strange that you saw a picture of a christian and a dead baby and were offended that the christian isn't being portrayed positively enough. After all he talked about it and agreed to take 2 families since the images of the dead child.

CH come from a tradition of relentlessly mocking the establishment & people with whom they disagreed, whether that be members of the French government, conservative Islam (which actually featured pretty rarely on their front pages) or the Front National. They use shocking images & crude caricatures to both provoke a reaction & to mock the thinking process of those with whom they disagree. Their cartoons are generally not to be taken at face value.

Okay, so you've just generally outlined what any satirical magazine does per se.

But since you're telling a previous poster to calm their outrage, based on your claim that they don't understand the meaning of the cartoon, perhaps you could tell us the exact meaning of the specific cartoon in question, and how it is not mocking the death of a young boy, as per your previous claim?

I'd be interested to hear what people think of this cartoon, not a CH one but one which has nevertheless provoked strong reactions. The text reads "It's the return!", which in French generally refers to the return to school/college after holidays which is of course happening now. The cartoonist depicts Aylan "en écolier", ie as a school boy, in order to remind people that this is a child who should, like millions of others be settling into primary school now. The Libération writer calls it "a ferocious drawing, to show that this child didn't have the same chance as others". However, many twitter users were outraged, with one opining that "they're really looking to get themselves shot a second time". What do you make of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Okay, so you've just generally outlined what any satirical magazine does per se.

But since you're telling a previous poster to calm their outrage, based on your claim that they don't understand the meaning of the cartoon, perhaps you could tell us the exact meaning of the specific cartoon in question, and how it is not mocking the death of a young boy, as per your previous claim?

For me the second cartoon is mocking Christian Europe's reaction to the dead child, it's drawing attention to the fact that our actions of closing borders and refusing to take in refugees is un-Christian. I don't see it as poking fun at the child but rather mocking our reaction to the crises.

If you want the exact meaning of the cartoon in question then you'd probably have to contact the cartoonist who drew it, in much the same way as you'd have to contact a songwriter to get the exact meaning of a particular song which hadn't been explicitly spelt out. If you read my post I said that they almost certainly were not mocking the dead child. It is extremely unlikely that they are merely engaging in malicious abuse for the sake of it. They have a reputation for shocking imagery for the sake of provocation in order to shock people into looking at things in a different way. To assume that their cartoons can be interpreted at face value is a flawed approach.

• Advertisement

Surely the Christian one is saying that countries like Hungary have no problem with Christian refugees, given they don't want Muslim refugees, so the Muslims can drown if you make that choice.

Advertisement