Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Hebdo makes fun of drowned Syrian boy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

NIMAN wrote: »
    I love how CH was a great publication and flavour of the month when they got shot up, you were a saddo if you didn't support their right to free speech and buy a copy of the mag.

Now they are the scum of the earth!

People are fickle, they were already beginning to forgot about the photo in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Haznat

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    It does justify it as it is satirising exactly that hypocrisy from large media outlets and Europe as a whole for its response to one picture when thousands had already died.

Everyone was aware of what was happening. The picture may have acted as a catalyst which is not something that hasn't happened before. There's lots of images that have sparked a response during various famines, wars etc.

Hebdo are all suing each other over money or were on the brink of it. There might be actual hypocrisy in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Freedom of speech is no excuse to be a díck or to ridicule people.
    That's exactly what freedom of speech is.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    I love how CH was a great publication and flavour of the month when they got shot up, you were a saddo if you didn't support their right to free speech and buy a copy of the mag.

Now they are the scum of the earth!
    No, supporting their right to freedom of speech and supporting the content of their magazine are two very separate things and something which evidently still confuses many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Haznat wrote: »
    Everyone was aware of what was happening. The picture may have acted as a catalyst which is not something that hasn't happened before. There's lots of images that have sparked a response during various famines, wars etc.

Hebdo are all suing each other over money or were on the brink of it. There might be actual hypocrisy in there.

Yes everyone was aware and were stuffing their face with McDonald's instead of doing anything. That is what the cartoon is illustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You're right. The pope has made some humanitarian noises but that hasn't solved anything. Telling ordinary people they should materially help is good but it's hollow coming from the head of an organisation which is so materially wealthy. The child drowned while Europe was deciding how to deal with the situation.

Vatican city is taking in two families of refugees, and the Pope has said monasteries and every religious community has to take in a family.
    An Italian Cardinal said Italy has 27,000 parishes and if a family of four was the average size, they could take in 108,000 refugees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Haznat

Yes everyone was aware and were stuffing their face with McDonald's instead of doing anything. That is what the cartoon is illustrating.

Do you think the addition of a real dead child in the cartoon added to it enough to justify his inclusion when the same point could have been made without him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Back when the shooting happened, my own view on it was that the Mohammad cartoons were distasteful and I didn't particularly approve of them, but no, they didn't deserve to get shot.

Personally, I don't like that cartoon at all. Not only does it not really make a clear attempt at "making people think", but it's a cartoon of Aylan Kurdi, a toddler, a small child. His father survived, and will probably see that - a cartoon of his dead little boy on a newspaper. Like the photo wasn't cruel enough to have to see everywhere. Urgh.

Germany has just closed its borders along with a few other countries as of today. The response has been phenomenally last minute and the picture was something which awakened the politicians and citizens. The fact that it took the picture to do that when this has been going on for over a year is utterly deplorable. Thousands have died.

Yes, they are still taking refugees though, they need to slow the inflow. Running out of housing in Munich for refugees, where many are going.
    Germany are still doing the most, they still have two ships in the Med rescuing people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Jaysus, even the most vile neo-Nazi groups would think hard before publishing sh1te like those caricatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Do you think the addition of a real dead child in the cartoon added to it enough to justify his inclusion when the same point could have been made without him?

Wouldn't it just be a McDonald's ad without him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Jonotti

I have to laugh at all of the waterfordwhispersnews fans here appalled at real satire.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't care how many hidden meanings there are supposed to be in these cartoons. I think it's disgusting. It's never in any way ok to make fun of a dead child.

Even if it wakes people up to the reality of the migration crisis and saves hundreds of kids in the future? Would that not make it okay to draw a satiric cartoon of a dead child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Far right publication for an intolerant bunch of Neanderthals.

YES! That is the point. It was that actual image which provided impetus for politicians and ordinary people to empathise with the refugees. It was that picture which was placed in papers alongside ads for McDonalds. Who would actually look up that image if it wasnt plastered everywhere. Hundreds of kids have probably drowned at this point but have not washed up and were not photographed. The drawing is suppose to draw attention to that fact and its juxtaposition with the McDonald's sign emphasises how the crisis has been ignored. The drawing of the child is crucial to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

goose2005 wrote: »
    Ultimately it makes a valid point; the migrants are seeking material prosperity, not safety. They already have safety where they are.

Then how come they weren't fleeing in droves BEFORE NATO turned Libya, Iraq and Syria into unimagineable hellholes?

People like you just never want to face the reality. Much easier for you to be a fake tough guy and tell yourself that they're all coming to steal your job rather than admit that they face true misery and death at home and your "side" caused it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

YES! That is the point. It was that actual image which provided impetus for politicians and ordinary people to empathise with the refugees. It was that picture which was placed in papers alongside ads for McDonalds. Who would actually look up that image if it wasnt plastered everywhere. Hundreds of kids have probably drowned at this point but have not washed up and were not photographed. The drawing is suppose to draw attention to that fact and its juxtaposition with the McDonald's sign emphasises how the crisis has been ignored. The drawing of the child is crucial to this.

Not particularly people empathised with the refugees long before some cartoonist decided to draw a rather disturbing picture but hey free speech so draw what you like, I and most people find what the cartoonist did as scumbaggery.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Not particularly people empathised with the refugees long before.

How many people have died in the last year and a half in the crossing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I call BS on it all. How anyone thinks using the tragic tail of a child drowning to sell their rag is acceptable is beyond me. If it was my child who had drowned and they thought their "dark humour" was expressing their right to free speech, I'd have to disagree with them in a way they wouldn't find very amusing.

There are things the world would be better off without, they have just joined that list.

Charlie Hebdo had to get themselves mostly executed to keep their publication alive.
    That cartoon of Charlie Hebdo employees in a crisis meeting of how to keep their publication afloat and how they would have to let people go, they were made out to be fish in a barrel with muslim terrorists overhead ready to shoot.
    Hit the nail on the head, to make it survive they had to die, it brought record sales and nobody had to be sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

I call BS on it all. How anyone thinks using the tragic tail of a child drowning to sell their rag is acceptable is beyond me. If it was my child who had drowned and they thought their "dark humour" was expressing their right to free speech, I'd have to disagree with them in a way they wouldn't find very amusing.

There are things the world would be better off without, they have just joined that list.

Oh but they were making a satirical point that was oh so clever.... If someone insists on poking a bear, whilst saying, I'm not really poking you, if you were smarter you'd get it, I for one won't lose sleep when the bear eats them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

RobertKK wrote:
    Vatican city is taking in two families of refugees, and the Pope has said monasteries and every religious community has to take in a family. An Italian Cardinal said Italy has 27,000 parishes and if a family of four was the average size, they could take in 108,000 refugees.

Ah you're right, the catholics solved the problem by actually agreeing to take in 2 families. I'm sure they acted quickly and got their 2 refugee families last year when the problem started. The catholics wouldn't wait for the problem to become front page news to invite their 2 families. They would hardly wait for a picture of a dead child to be published before they spring into action. No sir, not the catholics. The fact that the pope made his public announcement 4 days after the images of the dead child is probably coincidence... Right?

Now you can tell the child there's no need to be dead anymore because the catholics have their 2 families.

The nominally christian governments and people of Europe have spent the last year trying to secure the border rather than help the refugees. People died in that space of time, most notably the little boy the cartoon is based on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

How many people have died in the last year and a half in the crossing?

Just before the drowning 70 people died in the back of a truck.

Then how come they weren't fleeing in droves BEFORE NATO turned Libya, Iraq and Syria into unimagineable hellholes?

People like you just never want to face the reality. Much easier for you to be a fake tough guy and tell yourself that they're all coming to steal your job rather than admit that they face true misery and death at home and your "side" caused it.

Or... Oppose the migrations and NATO. always an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

RobertKK wrote: »
    Charlie Hebdo had to get themselves mostly executed to keep their publication alive.
    That cartoon of Charlie Hebdo employees in a crisis meeting of how to keep their publication afloat and how they would have to let people go, they were made out to be fish in a barrel with muslim terrorists overhead ready to shoot.
    Hit the nail on the head, to make it survive they had to die, it brought record sales and nobody had to be sacked.

Jaysus, I've seen some BS conspiracy theories on Boards before but that seriously takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

RobertKK wrote:
    Charlie Hebdo had to get themselves mostly executed to keep their publication alive. That cartoon of Charlie Hebdo employees in a crisis meeting of how to keep their publication afloat and how they would have to let people go, they were made out to be fish in a barrel with muslim terrorists overhead ready to shoot. Hit the nail on the head, to make it survive they had to die, it brought record sales and nobody had to be sacked.

Satire?

Ah you're right, the catholics solved the problem by actually agreeing to take in 2 families. I'm sure they acted quickly and got their 2 refugee families last year when the problem started. The catholics wouldn't wait for the problem to become front page news to invite their 2 families. They would hardly wait for a picture of a dead child to be published before they spring into action. No sir, not the catholics. The fact that the pope made his public announcement 4 days after the images of the dead child is probably coincidence... Right?

Now you can tell the child there's no need to be dead anymore because the catholics have their 2 families.

The nominally christian governments and people of Europe have spent the last year trying to secure the border rather than help the refugees. People died in that space of time, most notably the little boy the cartoon is based on.

Wrong, maybe try reading next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Satire?

That was my first reaction upon reading that but I fear the poster may actually be in earnest. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

melissak wrote: »
    Oh but they were making a satirical point that was oh so clever.... If someone insists on poking a bear, whilst saying, I'm not really poking you, if you were smarter you'd get it, I for one won't lose sleep when the bear eats them.

I don't need to be a genius to know I was deeply disturbed by it when I first found out that some poor child had his life cruelly cut short. I'm indifferent to any point they are trying to make however witty or satirical, a child death is something to morn over, not try score more sales.

That's a fairly huge attack on an organisation actually doing something. The alliance of right on atheists on the interweb hasn't done much.

Nevertheless the solution to these migrations from the ME is to stop bombing the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I'm all for freedom of speech but this is exceptionally bad taste. Poor form Charlie.

Advertisement