Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NRL 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Would have said definitely the Cowboys until they got totally outclassed by the Rabbitohs in the second half of their game. Still think their last couple of games have been a blip and they'll do the job, but not as convinced as I was. Nice easy round next to settle their nerves, with a trip to the Warriors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

At the minute I would have to say the Roosters. Although they can go missing in the middle of games, I think they have the right blend of power up the middle, creativity in the halves and then the pace out wide to finish moves to do it. The Broncos strike me as a team that will struggle away from Suncorp and that means that a top 2 finish is essential and with a run home of the Roosters, Bunnies and then the Storm, that top 2 place is by no means wrapped up.

The Cowboys have been the best team in the comp since their early poor run but again they can be frustrated when teams really get at them like the Bunnies did last Thursday. I think if they came up against a massive pack like the Doggies or the Bunnies again, then I'd be fearful for their chances. Tomololo has been quiet the second half of the season as has Matt Scott. They need them firing on all cylinders but with JT and Morgan in the halves, tehy will always have a chance.

The Sharks I think will be found out but the other teams in the 8 have good chances too. The Doggies on their day can beat anyone with that massive pack and at the minute the Sea eagles are playing brilliant stuff evidenced by their stuffing of both the Broncos and the Bunnies lately and their come from behind victory against the Raiders last week. The Storm have done it all before and some of their younger brigade like Munster, Duffey etc have really stepped up in the absence of Slater and others. The Bunnies certainly have the forward pack to trouble teams but they need more from the Burgess twins. They were fantastic against the Cowboys but they need that until the end of the year now. Inglis is magic and Sutton and Stewart give them two ball players in the row too. Reynolds is the key though and if he can stay healthy, his goal kicking and play making ability will win them tight games.

So in a nutshell, I actually don't have a clue!!! Some cracking games this week, there is something on the line in every game save maybe for the Titans vs Raiders game but even still that should register a few points in it knowing the Raiders! Should be a brilliant run into the finals and I'm just hoping that the main guys for each team stay injury free so we can see the best talent on show when it comes down to the business end of things!

The Bunnies getting run over by the Doggies today. The Dogs pack is just monstering the Bunnies equivalent. In one off games the Dogs will be a match for anyone come finals time, especially in Allianz or ANZ. Out in Suncorp or 1300 Smiles they could be found out but they will be tough to beat in Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

So the regular season has ended and the NRL Finals begin next week. The ties are
    Qualifying Finals
    Sydney Roosters v Melbourne Storm
    Brisbane Broncos v North Queensland Cowboys

Elimination Finals
    Canterbury Bulldogs v St.George Dragons
    Cronulla Sharks V South Sydney Rabbitohs

I'm gonna go for a Roosters,Broncos,Bulldogs, Rabbitohs quadruple.

So the regular season has ended and the NRL Finals begin next week. The ties are
    Qualifying Finals
    Sydney Roosters v Melbourne Storm
    Brisbane Broncos v North Queensland Cowboys

Elimination Finals
    Canterbury Bulldogs v St.George Dragons
    Cronulla Sharks V South Sydney Rabbitohs

I'm gonna go for a Roosters,Broncos,Bulldogs, Rabbitohs quadruple.

Yeah I think you are probably spot on but obviously the Cowboys--Broncos one is the closest of the four. If anyone can stifle the Roosters at the minute it's a defensively minded Storm team but I expect them to come through but I feel it will be a lot closer than their earlier meeting when the Storm were wiped out in Allianz. The Storm were able to beat the Roosters in wet weather earlier at AAMI park too.

The Dragons look very brittle and need Widdop back this weekend if they are to have any chance. The Sharks don't do well as favs and if Souths can get GI & Sutton back and the halves start firing, I think they can upset the Sharkies. Also the fact that the match is in Allianz, negates the "home" advantage the Sharks should have enjoyed by finishing ahead of the Bunnies.

• Advertisement

Well gents who are we going for this weekend? After having time to reflect on the games I'm actually going to renege on some of my picks! I'm going to take the storm to beat the roosters -- I just feel the roosters don't like to be stifled and hassled. If they are allowed play their usual free flowing brand, they win by 12 but I think the storm will frustrate them and win a low scoring contest.

I'm going to go cowboys in the other big one. With the injury cloud over Hunt, I think the cowboys can take advantage and get over the line. The bulldogs look straight forward winners against the dragons but a lot depends on Widdop being fit. Hodkinson is a loss for the doggies but I think they have too much power through the middle for the dragons.

In the final game then I will reserve judgement until the 11th hour! The big question is whether GI will be fit or not. Sutton likewise. If these two are out there, I give the bunnies a great chance. Burgess and Luke missing are big losses though, esp Isaac so I'd probably just side with the Skarkies but it will be very tight!

As has been shown numerous times I'm more of a guesser than anything but I fancy the Dragons to be the surprise of the weekend.

Also reckon the Cowboys will beat the Broncos.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Well gents who are we going for this weekend? After having time to reflect on the games I'm actually going to renege on some of my picks! I'm going to take the storm to beat the roosters -- I just feel the roosters don't like to be stifled and hassled. If they are allowed play their usual free flowing brand, they win by 12 but I think the storm will frustrate them and win a low scoring contest.

Not low scoring but nice one on the prediction.

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Brilliant end to the Bulldogs v Dragons game, Dragons almost pulled off the upset. Broncos v Cowboys about to start, fancy JT and the boys to get it done. Great weekend of footy so far and only half way there.

Brilliant end to the Bulldogs v Dragons game, Dragons almost pulled off the upset. Broncos v Cowboys about to start, fancy JT and the boys to get it done. Great weekend of footy so far and only half way there.

Shame it was a drop goal that won it but thems the rules. I'd prefer golden try to golden point but not sure the players would!

• Advertisement

Shame it was a drop goal that won it but thems the rules. I'd prefer golden try to golden point but not sure the players would!

Ha, probably not, most of them looked dead on their feet at the end. Have to feel for Widdop, kept them in it with his kicks then pretty much handed them the chance with the botched 40-20 attempt.

So I was reassuringly wrong again about the Cowboys Broncos game then, missed the end of it as my broadband went pear shaped.

Sharks still lead by 18, thought Souths got one back there but no try.

Edit: 20

First points on the board for South Sydney, can't see them pulling back 20 plus more in just over 10 minutes though!

First points on the board for South Sydney, can't see them pulling back 20 plus more in just over 10 minutes though!

Yeah they had a few chances in the first half and when they didn't take them, they were playing catch up. The better team won for sure.

Next week now the Roosters and the Bulldogs and the Cowboys and the Sharks. Both underdogs have had success this year against their more fancies rivals. The Bulldogs should have beaten the Roosters in Allianz after spotting them a massive lead and the Sharks did the double over the cowboys this year. Think they'll be two tight games

Very disappointed in the Bunnies yesterday, we rarely play well without Isaac Luke, which is worrying as he's off to the Warriors next year. Reynolds had one of his better kicking games for a while but we're just so ineffective going forward.

Had no real conviction and just ran out of ideas. Just looked like there was no plan B, also it's bad enough to be outplayed but Sharkies wanted it more too. Reigning Premiers should have more heart than that, GI is great at times but he's not a leader in the mould of Sam Burgess or Isaac Luke. It's probably going to be much of the same next year.

Very disappointed in the Bunnies yesterday, we rarely play well without Isaac Luke, which is worrying as he's off to the Warriors next year. Reynolds had one of his better kicking games for a while but we're just so ineffective going forward.

Had no real conviction and just ran out of ideas. Just looked like there was no plan B, also it's bad enough to be outplayed but Sharkies wanted it more too. Reigning Premiers should have more heart than that, GI is great at times but he's not a leader in the mould of Sam Burgess or Isaac Luke. It's probably going to be much of the same next year.

I guess the loss last week to the Sea Eagles focused the minds of the sharks players and probably the likes of Lewis, Fifita etc getting an extra week to be at optimum fitness helped too. One thing that is overlooked is Michael Gordon as the last line of defence. He's up there with any of the full backs in the comp at stopping tries in desperation and he had at least another two yesterday

Roosters out of the gates early. 8 nil up.

Nice try from the Bulldogs, conversion to come.

Conversion missed, 8-4

• Advertisement

Scrappy first half though the weather does look miserable which doesn't help, as the summarisers have said.

Scrappy first half though the weather does look miserable which doesn't help, as the summarisers have said.

Ha the summarisers, I like it! Roosters doing their usual and looking irresistible early before making countless mistakes and letting the opposing team back in it. Stating the obvious, but the next try is massive. If the Doggies can get it, they might really put the shivers up the Roosters. It moght come down to kicks though and in that case, the advantage is certainly with the Roosters. Lafai already missed a fairly straight forward conversion from his own try.

Not Mbye's proudest moment there playing the ball the wrong way!

Interesting play of the ball

Still plenty of errors this half.

WOW! Are they just giving that try as there is no clear cut evidence that is not a try? Similar to rugby when the ref asks the TMO "any reason I can't award a try??" Massive call. Roosters up by ten now.......

My stream is slow, farcical decision that.

WOW! Are they just giving that try as there is no clear cut evidence that is not a try? Similar to rugby when the ref asks the TMO "any reason I can't award a try??" Massive call. Roosters up by ten now.......

And now RTS scores off the next set. Roosters up 20-4 and it's going to be a long, long road back now for the Doggies

And now RTS scores off the next set. Roosters up 20-4 and it's going to be a long, long road back now for the Doggies

He's only just scored here!

• Advertisement

2 things, still can't see how Evans got that pass away for the last Roosters try and have never heard the word "controversial" said in a more annoying way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement