Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts in Maynooth (Finance & Statistics)

Options
  • 08-09-2015 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So, we all know Arts degrees are considered the joke of universities. I'm about to start my second year in Arts and I am going to take Finance and Stats to degree level. Is this really that bad of a degree? Do I have any hope at getting jobs with these subjects? ,I'm panicking.

No, I don't have an interest in teaching.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I personally think people who think Arts degrees are jokes are morons.

But on the other hand, I also think you haven't a hope in hell of getting a really good job with just a degree. Nowadays everyone's got a degree. So pick subjects you like and are good at, do as well as you possibly can, then do a Masters.

You may think Finance and Stats, or Maths, or Science, or Computer Science, that degrees in those subjects will get you a job. But you will invariably be competing for jobs against people with postgraduate degrees. Invariably. No 2.2/2.1 in a BA is going to compete with an MA.

The chances of you walking out of college into anything really decent are very very low with just a degree. Sure you might get some bog standard job that'll keep you going a few years. But not much better.

/opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RockyRob

mickstupp wrote: »
    I personally think people who think Arts degrees are jokes are morons.

But on the other hand, I also think you haven't a hope in hell of getting a really good job with just a degree. Nowadays everyone's got a degree. So pick subjects you like and are good at, do as well as you possibly can, then do a Masters.

You may think Finance and Stats, or Maths, or Science, or Computer Science, that degrees in those subjects will get you a job. But you will invariably be competing for jobs against people with postgraduate degrees. Invariably. No 2.2/2.1 in a BA is going to compete with an MA.

The chances of you walking out of college into anything really decent are very very low with just a degree. Sure you might get some bog standard job that'll keep you going a few years. But not much better.

/opinion

Yeah I plan to do a postgrad course. Just the cost worries me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I think if you have a degree be it a Arts/ Sc is a great thing, My son graduated today with a B Arts International double honours degree ( 1st Class) in computers & German, he spent a year in Germany so his German is very good and from what he can see so are jobs prospects

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RockyRob

I think if you have a degree be it a Arts/ Sc is a great thing, My son graduated today with a B Arts International double honours degree ( 1st Class) in computers & German, he spent a year in Germany so his German is very good and from what he can see so are jobs prospects

What degree did he get? Is it just "Bachelor of Arts (International)" or "BA (International) German & Computer Science"?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

RockyRob wrote: »
    What degree did he get? Is it just "Bachelor of Arts (International)" or "BA (International) German & Computer Science"?

The actual degrees don't name the subjects. Just the degree type, I.e. Baccalaureatus Artibus for a BA

• Advertisement
Advertisement