Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contraception v s abortion

Options
  • 10-09-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

I'm pondering something - how on the one hand is the pill, morning-after pill, implant etc. legal whilst abortion isn't? I'd be anti abortion on demand myself but I can't get around how the medical profession doesn't agree that life begins at conception, the next step being implantation. I read that the definition of pregnancy was changed by the medical profession when the pill came out in 1970s to implantation which seems like a v cynical move. How many embryos are being destroyed every year by the anti implantation effect of the pill etc with no outcry whilst on the other hand so many are so anti abortion, does it seem like drawing an arbitrary line in the sand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Now I'm no biology practicing guy, but my understanding is that the brain and other organs only begin to form after implantation, and I think it would be a pretty hard sell to convince a science talking guy that the cluster of stem cells or whatever that you have before that constitutes a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would say, embryologically speaking, that the term "unborn child" is an accurate one. That's what it is, I've never read or heard an argument to convince me otherwise. Our choice is simply to decide which is the greater evil; to force a woman to carry a child she doesn't want to term or to kill an unborn child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I would say, embryologically speaking, that the term "unborn child" is an accurate one. That's what it is, I've never read or heard an argument to convince me otherwise. Our choice is simply to decide which is the greater evil; to force a woman to carry a child she doesn't want to term or to kill an unborn child.

So would you be anti the contraceptive pill and other similar products?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    I'm pondering something - how on the one hand is the pill, morning-after pill, implant etc. legal whilst abortion isn't? I'd be anti abortion on demand myself but I can't get around how the medical profession doesn't agree that life begins at conception,

So you have a problem with contraception? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hold your ground! Hold your ground! Sons of Gondor... of Rohan... my brothers! I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship... but it is not this day! An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down... but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear, on this good earth, I bid you STAND, MEN OF THE WEST!

• Advertisement

So would you be anti the contraceptive pill and other similar products?
    No. If conception is prevented or interrupted, there is no child. I'm not pro or against anything here.

No. If conception is prevented or interrupted, there is no child. I'm not pro or against anything here.

But the pill doesn't just prevent conception, if conception happens it prevents implantation therefore killing the embryo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

... I can't get around how the medical profession doesn't agree that life begins at conception, the next step being implantation.

But you understand that contraception, in general, prevents conception.
    The hormones in the pill prevent ovulation, thus preventing an egg so egg and sperm never meet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yes, it's a completely arbitrary distinction and anyone that tries to claim otherwise is simply fooling himself.

But the pill doesn't just prevent conception, if conception happens it prevents implantation therefore killing the embryo
    The difference there I guess is that the pill prevents the embryo implanting and starting to grown. Abortion kills the entity which started to develop when it implanted.

• Advertisement

But you understand that contraception, in general, prevents conception.
    The hormones in the pill prevent ovulation, thus preventing an egg so egg and sperm never meet.

What about the anti implantation effects of the pill and all similar products?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,018 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ellie2008 wrote:

Yes. We're a grown up species who is trying to take control of one of the most basic aspects of life - reproduction. That involves interrupting pregnancies. It's a generally good practice to control reproduction so I suggest you figure it out from a species perspective rather than worrying about ehether lumps of cells are alive or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This conversation is neither Social nor is it Fun

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Cormac... wrote: »

I'm going to pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cormac... wrote: »

On the other hand, it hasn't ever been discussed on boards before. Nor are there any active mega threads anywhere in the site where it could be discussed.

I predict reasoned and balance debate

endacl wrote: »
    On the other hand, it hasn't ever been discussed on boards before. Nor are there any active mega threads anywhere in the site where it could be discussed.

I predict reasoned and balance debate

No you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What the fùçķ?

We're seriously doing a debate where someone is trying to compare the pill to abortion?

Seriously?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

and whats the difference between first trimester abortion and 43rd trimester too...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

and whats the difference between first trimester abortion and 43rd trimester too...

43rd Trimester?

Some baby for it to be an 11 year pregancy!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Now I'm no biology practicing guy, but my understanding is that the brain and other organs only begin to form after implantation, and I think it would be a pretty hard sell to convince a science talking guy that the cluster of stem cells or whatever that you have before that constitutes a human being.

And do you think a "science talking guy" would be convinced that a recently implanted embryo is indisputably a human being in a way the unimplanted one isn't?

My understanding is that scientifically there is very little difference between the implanted embryo and the unimplanted one, at least in terms of how close both entities are to a newborn baby (ie not very close at all really).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What about the anti implantation effects of the pill and all similar products?

Still a lot better than ending up with an unwanted pregnancy.

No matter what your opinions are on abortion, to be against contraception is absolutely pants-on-head stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Still a lot better than ending up with an unwanted pregnancy.

No matter what your opinions are on abortion, to be against contraception is absolutely pants-on-head stupid.

I think what she's saying is that some contraception like the Map and the coil can act as abortifacients if conception has already taken place so how does Ireland reconcile anti abortion laws with its current medical practises in terms of medication.

I'm sure the Irish answer would be, well it happens before we can know if someone is pregnant or not.

volchitsa wrote: »
    And do you think a "science talking guy" would be convinced that a recently implanted embryo is indisputably a human being in a way the unimplanted one isn't?

My understanding is that scientifically there is very little difference between the implanted embryo and the unimplanted one, at least in terms of how close both entities are to a newborn baby (ie not very close at all really).

I don't know, you'd have to ask some sort of medicine studying guy. I don't really feel like pretending to have expert knowledge of a subject that people devote many years of their lives to researching today.

I find it hard to reconcile the idea that a cluster of cells without a heart, or brain, or anything that resembles anything we would associate with a human being, as being any more deserving of special protection than a spermatozoon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm pondering something - how on the one hand is the pill, morning-after pill, implant etc. legal whilst abortion isn't? I'd be anti abortion on demand myself but I can't get around how the medical profession doesn't agree that life begins at conception, the next step being implantation. I read that the definition of pregnancy was changed by the medical profession when the pill came out in 1970s to implantation which seems like a v cynical move. How many embryos are being destroyed every year by the anti implantation effect of the pill etc with no outcry whilst on the other hand so many are so anti abortion, does it seem like drawing an arbitrary line in the sand?

That's because there is an arbitrary line between conception, fertilisation, and implantation. As medicine and science increase our knowledge of human development, those arbitrary lines will likely shift again and pregnancy will be redefined again.

There are some couples trying to redefine pregnancy as it is already, with their announcements that 'we're pregnant!'

What's up with that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

The medical and scientific community often differ in where life begins because the definition of 'life' is actually a tricky one. Technically bacteria is 'alive' as is your potted cactus. The follow on question is generally 'so where does consciousness begin? Where is the thing that makes us us and when does it develop?'
    And this is the crux - no one really knows. Our knowledge of consciousness (the less scientifically inclined might all it a soul) and the human brain is far from complete. So there is no consensus on where life begins because it vastly depends on your interpretation of life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Don't EVER have sex. EVER.

End of discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭acb121

PLEASE.

A conceived embryo which is hours or days ( or a even few weeks ) into its development has no nerves and probably has no conciousness nor emotions.

An embryo which is several months old will have.

Current abortion limits in certain countries are indeed killing a viable child, and I dont like to think about it, being close to several people who were born severely prematurely and survived thanks to the miracles of modern science. Children are a miracle of life.

But hours, days, or several weeks are not viable, and they are a cluster of cells rather than a viable independent living organism.

This is a ridiculous comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I don't know, you'd have to ask some sort of medicine studying guy. I don't really feel like pretending to have expert knowledge of a subject that people devote many years of their lives to researching today.

I find it hard to reconcile the idea that a cluster of cells without a heart, or brain, or anything that resembles anything we would associate with a human being, as being any more deserving of special protection than a spermatozoon though.

Yeah but no-one disagrees with that (on here anyway) so are you saying that immediately after implantation it does constitute a human being?

volchitsa wrote: »
    Yeah but no-one disagrees with that (on here anyway) so are you saying that immediately after implantation it does constitute a human being?

I don't even think I said anything that could be misconstrued as that? Indeed, I don't think I could have been much less definitive about anything I said while still posting at all.

If you're looking for an argument about minutiae, I think you have chosen the wrong mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

acb121 wrote: »
    Children are a miracle of life.

This is a ridiculous comparison.

Miracle of life to those who want them. Also known as mistakes, accidents, horrific consequences of rape, and so on.

The latter, I agree with.

Advertisement