Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Booking dot com Cancelled bookings

• 09-09-2015 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

2 of my work colleagues had their bookings from the website bookings.com just days before they are to leave. One booked a hotel abroad and found out it was cancelled and would have to pay double to get it back, the other rang his hotel to confirm the booking was OK, all was fine and within 24hrs his was cancelled too. Any one else have trouble with these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nope never heard of that. Anytime I have used Booking.com they have been fine. I used them for a hotel in France this summer. Have they contacted Booking.com to ask why the bookings have been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I have used booking.com 5 times this year alone, and not a problem.
    Could it be an issue with the hotels ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Zaylee Breezy Wagon

Did I not hear that they were in financial difficulties with some hotels who were refusing bookings from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,753 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Did they contact the National Consumer Agency?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

they contacted both but not getting answers, just be aware when booking to confirm that your hotel is booked before leaving

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Over 200 bookings with them and never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Did I not hear that they were in financial difficulties with some hotels who were refusing bookings from them.

Link?
    spurious wrote: »
    Over 200 bookings with them and never an issue.

Same.

Ive used them several times in past, but 2 bookings cancelled in same time frame with no notification, is bit unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Use them all the time and never an issue.
    Did the credit card used to secure the booking expire in the meantime?

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Use them all the time and never an issue.
    Did the credit card used to secure the booking expire in the meantime?

no both accounts were fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

They are the most reputible accommodation booking website of them all. It must be an issue with the hotels theirselves. I have been using booking.com for years and never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I swear by booking.com (their genuis deals work out cheaper than booking directly at a hotel's own website) and fortunately have never encountered a problem with them either. The only time I did run into an issue was with a hotel itself but booking.com acted on my behalf and dealt with the issue very efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ATTY

OP I'm just wondering if there is any update on this or if you got any reply from the consumer agency. I've just had the same thing happen me on venere.com. I had booked a hostel in Galway and got a confirmed booking (which their website says is 'definitive' and no further confirmation with the hotel is required).

Payment was to be made on arrival but the email said my credit card was declined but the card company says its working fine and there have been no declined transactions. I don't know if I have any comeback, I can't find much information on the consumer authority website. The hostel now has no rooms available despite mine being cancelled.

The assumption is that the hostel is overbooked because there is an event on that weekend which is really annoying me more. It's hard to trust these websites when they have no control over the availability of rooms.

they had to book another hotel basically, which turned out to be better ones so they wernt too bothered about complaining when they were home

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ATTY

Thanks,

It makes it difficult to trust any of them, luckily I've been able to find a B&B that can fit the whole group in.

I rang venere on a UK number and they kept insisting that there was something wrong with my credit card all they could do was offer to book me another hotel. All I got on their email was to ring this UK number, so trying to get an answer from them will probably cost me more in the end.

Advertisement