Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW Motorrad PCP

Options
  • 07-09-2015 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Has anyone bought a bike using BMW's PCP plans? There's loads of info on their UK site and advertising that gives of examples of monthly costs, but very hard to find any info for Ireland.

I'd be interested in getting the views of someone who has used this method to purchase, and how it's worked for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The whole industry has been knackered here for the want of the easy breezy finance the rest of the world uses. I don't know why Paddy can't have finance. Even in the boom, I'd say most bikes were bought either Credit Union or cash. If you can't find info on finance from BMW it's either not available or you'd have to not need it to qualify for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Yeah, it's a balls over here compared to England. UK always has interest free PCP deals for various brands. If we had it here, I'd be very tempted.

VAG do decent deals for cars, but they seem to be the only one. Think they have their own bank.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭aerofoiled

infacteh wrote: »
    VAG do decent deals for cars, but they seem to be the only one. Think they have their own bank.....

So do BMW and they're very active with PCP to sell cages. I've seen a good few new bikes around so I'm assuming it's an option here. Just surprised they don't push it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

PCP is an option here as far as I know. They certainly do regular finance.

Don't expect decent trades from big dealers though - I got offered the kind of peanuts a monkey would throw his ****e at you for when I went to trade in a car recently at a (large) VW dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...well Motorrad.ie says they offer 'competitive' finance, and if you click through, via Keary's or Duffy's, it does bring you to a PCP cost..........albeit in GBP£ so obviously the Irish site is in fact a UK one and only partly resolved for us.............neither Duffy's or Keary's can be emailed via the site either, only phoned...............groan......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They do offer it.

I bought my bike on finance from Joe Duffy Motorrad.

I was given the option that I could buy on finance or go PCP. But, looking at the figures, the value they would offer at the end was not even close to a market price for selling the bike privately.

Just make sure you do your sums. Go talk to them and get the figures.

Paulw wrote: »
    They do offer it.

I bought my bike on finance from Joe Duffy Motorrad.

I was given the option that I could buy on finance or go PCP. But, looking at the figures, the value they would offer at the end was not even close to a market price for selling the bike privately.

The optional final payment/residual is what I'm keen to get a handle on. UK examples give a value of approx 50%, on the basis the bike has no more than 15k miles after 3 years.. Were Duffys much lower than this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

aerofoiled wrote: »
    The optional final payment/residual is what I'm keen to get a handle on. UK examples give a value of approx 50%, on the basis the bike has no more than 15k miles after 3 years.. Were Duffys much lower than this?

It depends. So, I was looking at a new F800 GS Adventure. The price new was 14k, but after the 3 year term, the final sum/value of the bike would be 6k. Now, looking on donedeal and such sites, the bike would be worth around 9k. Not sure what the mileage limit was, but normal commute would put me well under that.

It was geared towards you trading the bike back in for a newer model and keep the finance going.

Again, it would depend on the bike, the value and the term. Go talk to them about it.

Aye, all the PCP plans for bikes and cars are about lock-in. If you're pretty sure you're going to want to have a nearly-new beemer (or audi or VW or whatever) for the foreseeable, it's not a bad plan. Keeps the new sales coming in for the dealer, gets you on the road for less per month.

If you just want to buy and not be locked in, go finance. Dearer per month but you own the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Why on earth go PCP for a bike you never own??? All you are really doing is renting it for the sake of having it......I would rather pay more and own it at the end or pay less per month and have a balloon payment at the end.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    ...or pay less per month and have a balloon payment at the end.

That's how PCP works. Pay the balloon (optional final payment) at the end, and you own it. Or trade it in and use whatever surplus you have over the finance settlement for your next deposit.

Why on earth go PCP for a bike you never own??? All you are really doing is renting it for the sake of having it......I would rather pay more and own it at the end or pay less per month and have a balloon payment at the end.

That's the thing though - the monthly payments on PCP end up a good bit less than regular finance, since you're not financing the full amount.

Not for everyone I spose - I'd say a lot of people are attached to the idea of owning the bike.

That's how PCP works. Pay the balloon (optional final payment) at the end, and you own it. Or trade it in and use whatever surplus you have over the finance settlement for your next deposit.

Ahh okay I taught you had to trade up again and keep going after X amount of years.

Just off the phone with Alan at Keary's, following my email on Monday, and yes, they do PCP. I can get a new F800GT SE for €185.60 pm.

.....mmmmmmmm.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Just off the phone with Alan at Keary's, following my email on Monday, and yes, they do PCP. I can get a new F800GT SE for €185.60 pm.

.....mmmmmmmm.........

Nah...S1000xr or go home brah!

.....mmmmmmmm.........

Nice! I emailed Duffy's on Monday but haven't heard anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I enquired with them about an S1000R, went through the approval process but just couldn't pull the trigger in the end. I was looking at their PCP but the balloon payment at the end put me off. The process is designed to keep you as a customer, in that after the 3 years you get a new bike and start the process again.

From memory, my quote was:

€4500 deposit
    36 monthly payments of €168
    And then a final payment of €7500 or so if you wanted to own the bike.

In fairness i got a decent trade price off them for my bike at the time, one which i would have been happy to accept.

Sums on F800GT SE this am, list price €13,870.
    Deposit €4100
    36 payments of €185.36 pm
    GMFV € 5509
    TAP (Total Amount Payable) if you keep it at end of year 3, by paying the balloon payment = €16,281.96

Now, looking at F800GT for sale here, in UK and on mobile.de, 2013 models are fetching 7500 - 9000+ (and none are SE versions), so the GMFV seems conservative (so, safe). If you paid them the €5500 at end year 3, but sold it even for €7k, then TCO to you would be €14,781.76.

Look at this way: at end of year 3, if you had €5500 cash in your hand, would you be able to buy a 3 yr old one on the open market.................not on your life.

Like all finance deals - there are many ways to skin a cat.

Ode To The Motorist

oh puhleez : chain drive ? Lol, I think not ! :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭blade1

^^^^^^^^^^^
    This x10000000

• Advertisement

..where would we be without MS Excel, huh ?? :p

361691.png

Logically, the CU is the way to go, but the cost-per-month you have to find may be the stumbling block.

That said, the PCP solves that, but BMW are making big money on it - €2411 interest on €4261 borrowed.........mmmmm :(

Ode To The Motorist

oh puhleez : chain drive ? Lol, I think not ! :pac:

Shaft drive master race reprazent. The belt in the F800GT was was drew me in.

Careful with that F800GT - I tested one, then had a go of a R1200GS and bought the GS. It's a slippery slope ... :-)

Was out in Joe Duffy's only this morning, and they've two R1200RS sitting there, in both colours. All like HELLO THERE HOW'S IT GOING JUST TAKE A SEAT ANYWHERE HUEH HUEH.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fireblade77

Then when you get served, " what can I do for you today?

You " I 'd like one of those bad boys "
    lol

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Shaft drive master race reprazent. The belt in the F800GT was was drew me in.

Careful with that F800GT - I tested one, then had a go of a R1200GS and bought the GS. It's a slippery slope ... :-)

Was out in Joe Duffy's only this morning, and they've two R1200RS sitting there, in both colours. All like HELLO THERE HOW'S IT GOING JUST TAKE A SEAT ANYWHERE HUEH HUEH.

I've had 1200GS and 1150RT and also 1100RT, so not interested in going back tbh, and current bike being belt-drive, I like it a lot.

Generally, looking for lighter bike than full-size - in fairness the 800GT is more powerful than my old K's were in the 90's, and half the weight, and I rented an F800R for a long weekend once, and I was v. impressed by it. I'm also not convinced the R reliability - and I've had a lot of them.

Ode To The Motorist

You mean you bought a bike purely on if it has a chain or a shaft drive !!!!

gerrowadat wrote: »

An R1200RS is what I'm after! I had a call from the sales manager at Duffy's and he was very helpful in running through the finance options - he also offered a test ride but I need to work out the best way to pay for the thing before I get suckered in!

As pointed out in other posts, the GMFV is set very low but you do end up (hopefully) with your deposit sorted when you trade in after 3 years.

Where they are not at the races is their interest rates. Thanks galwaytt for your bit of spreadsheetery! The overall cost of borrowing is a good deal more expensive compared to even a bank loan, never mind the CU. I think I might just stump up the extra monthly payment and at least I'm clear after 3 years.

You mean you bought a bike purely on if it has a chain or a shaft drive !!!!

Sorry, I don't see where you're getting that from.....I didn't say that.

My current main bike (one of several), that I do most mileage on, is belt driven, and was my first belt driven bike - it's been better than excellent, so it's an influence,not a decider. It's even been better than the shaft drive bike's I have had before..

If the new VStrom 1000 was either belt or shaft I'd be very, very tempted....but I have 5 chain bike's already.....and that's enough to maintain as it is...

And there's no middleweight shaftie anymore that I know of....

Ode To The Motorist

An R1200RS is what I'm after! I had a call from the sales manager at Duffy's and he was very helpful in running through the finance options - he also offered a test ride but I need to work out the best way to pay for the thing before I get suckered in!

As pointed out in other posts, the GMFV is set very low but you do end up (hopefully) with your deposit sorted when you trade in after 3 years.

Where they are not at the races is their interest rates. Thanks galwaytt for your bit of spreadsheetery! The overall cost of borrowing is a good deal more expensive compared to even a bank loan, never mind the CU. I think I might just stump up the extra monthly payment and at least I'm clear after 3 years.

^^^^^this.

I didn't realise how much they were charging for basically a 4k loan til I did the sheet. I can't see why they're charging so much.....even at "high street rates" 4k would be about €133 pm........and that's still giving them 6.5%…………pity....I had already planted the idea with the SO... :(

Ode To The Motorist

^^^^^this.

I didn't realise how much they were charging for basically a 4k loan til I did the sheet. I can't see why they're charging so much.....even at "high street rates" 4k would be about €133 pm........and that's still giving them 6.5%…………pity....I had already planted the idea with the SO... :(

Just to clarify something. Your monthly repayment also includes the interest being charged on the balloon, so it looks expensive against a 4k bank loan. You're still borrowing nearly 10k but only making capital repayments on the bit in the middle i.e. purchase price less deposit and balloon. Still expensive though!

• Advertisement

Just to clarify something. Your monthly repayment also includes the interest being charged on the balloon, so it looks expensive against a 4k bank loan. You're still borrowing nearly 10k but only making capital repayments on the bit in the middle i.e. purchase price less deposit and balloon. Still expensive though!

.....I just got the written version and I see that they're calling the credit they're extending is €9770 - not the €4261 - like you say. I hadn't thought of that tbh.

But, if at end of year 3 you keep the bike, and say borrow (anywhere) for the balloon - you'll be paying interest on it again. Which means you're paying interest on the balloon twice. That's a bit much really........

Ah well.......it was a nice, albeit short dream........[sighs]

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement