Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there Sex Abuse Rings in Ireland?

Options
  • 07-09-2015 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/long-jail-sentences-for-child-sex-abuse-gang-who-targeted-white-girls
    Members of the Aylesbury child abuse ring have been handed lengthy jail sentences for grooming vulnerable under-age white girls for sex for as little as "the price of a McDonald's, a milkshake and cinema ticket".

The Asian men were convicted at the Old Bailey in London of a range of sex offences between 2006 and 2012 - including multiple rape of a child under 13, child prostitution and administering a substance to "stupefy" a girl in order to engage in sexual activity.

Today, Vikram Singh, Asif Hussain, Arshad Jani, Mohammed Imran, Akbari Khan and Taimoor Khan were jailed for between three years and 19-and-a-half years.

Could this awful type of crime involving several men raping and abusing young girls happen here?

We all know of young girls locally who are sexually active and we like to hope they are old enough to be carrying on with the men they are with. would we do anything about it if we found out they were not old enough? most men can be very "odd" when it comes to a girl who appears a bit older but is in fact only a child, maybe it is once the girls are capable of bearing children the men don't see sex with them as a crime but just something that comes naturally?

Are there Irish men involved with others in seeking out young girls for sex? has there been any convictions here for such heinous crimes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Catholic Church has been running one for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Indeed but are there convictions for or has there been any investigation of non church Irish child sex/Paedophile rings?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Funday World ..... automatic fail

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There was that awful one in south dublin, the 'house of horrors'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There are rumours of various rings and certain missing people have been linked to these rings. I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility. It seems to happen elsewhere, why not here? We don't have a good record on child safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: A little less of the libellous accusations against an organisation, please. There's a difference between members committing a crime and the organisation itself orchestrating crimes.

humanji wrote: »
    MOD: A little less of the libellous accusations against an organisation, please. There's a difference between members committing a crime and the organisation itself orchestrating crimes.

I'd call allowing known abusers to move around and persistent failure to help victims get justice a form of orchestration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

There's a difference between members committing a crime and the organisation itself orchestrating crimes.
    Covering it up is arguably worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

K4t wrote: »
    Covering it up is arguably worse.

Seriously? You don't think child abuse is all that bad?

Speaking as a victim the greatest hurt is not the person who hurt me, it's the so called good people who let it happen and more importantly, let it continue so other children were hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Oh wow. Talk about putting words into somebody's mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I doubt we have it on the industrial scale as England has with the likes of Rotherham at present , where it's seems to be common to hear gangs numbering anything from 20+ to 60+ abusing the same girls over a number of years .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Of course it's bad, but imo there is something even more sinister about covering it up, in essence facilitating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

The organisation itself facilitated the crimes by conspiring to cover them up. Thats how Sex Abuse Rings work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Gatling wrote: »
    I doubt we have it on the industrial scale as England has with the likes of Rotherham, where it's seems to be common to hear gangs numbering anything from 20+ to 60+ abusing the same girls over a number of years .

Thing is with sexual abuse of children is that until you look you won't find. There could be all sorts ongoing as we sit here but if no one speaks out or stumbles in on it from the outside we'll be none the wiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thing is with sexual abuse of children is that until you look you won't find. There could be all sorts ongoing as we sit here but if no one speaks out or stumbles in on it from the outside we'll be none the wiser.
    That is my thinking on it. If we don't air concerns about some young wan "putting it about a bit" or "getting the attention of a few men around town" then nobody will investigate and the young girls/boys will be left feeling they have somehow brought on themselves because they should have known better?
    While aged just 12 or 13, child A was passed between some 60 mainly Asian men for sex after being conditioned into thinking it was normal behaviour, jurors were told.
    http://www.sundayworld.com/news/long-jail-sentences-for-child-sex-abuse-gang-who-targeted-white-girls

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: Folks, covering up a crime and committing the crime are two very different things. In the case of the child abuse involving member sof the church, one has been proven, the other is a libellous accusation that hasn't been proven. So stop accusing ANY organisation or person of crimes they have not be PROVEN to have committed. This is not up for discussion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Why bother with things like proof when you want to have a pop at the Catholic Church? Crocodile tears for the victims. I think certain people are disappointed when they hear stories of child abuse and find out a priest isn't involved.

MOD: Folks, covering up a crime and committing the crime are two very different things. In the case of the child abuse involving member sof the church, one has been proven, the other is a libellous accusation that hasn't been proven. So stop accusing ANY organisation or person of crimes they have not be PROVEN to have committed. This is not up for discussion.

There are documented cases of priests being moved away and overseas after allegations of sexual abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

2 mod warnings on 2 pages telling people to get over the church bashing. Who wants to bet it'll be 3 on 3 soon?

2 - 1 odds. Any takers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

2 mod warnings on 2 pages telling people to get over the church bashing. Who wants to bet it'll be 3 on 3 soon?

2 - 1 odds. Any takers?

No, cause I'm still on the first page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Technically it's on the island, I've read about the Kincora boys home and the connections to entertainment, politics etc in Britain. There was the Dalkey house of horrors in the Republic. Besides that you do hear about guys in their twenties and older being with young teen girls, whether it's an organised thing or just dodgy behaviour I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Holy cow, where did they say that?! :confused:

I agree though that the abuse itself is the worst - can't see how covering up is worse (although I'd understand individuals feeling more hurt by neglect from those who should have protected them; still though, objectively speaking, the abuse itself is worse I think).

But at the same time, while I hate the tarring of all priests and catholics, it is entirely true that the organisation covered up abuse and protected/facilitated abusers by moving them to other parishes - this can't be denied. And while it's not direct abuse, it's still obscene, and a very close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Really?? The CC is still beyond criticism in 2015? Isn't it time we allowed people to speak out against these monsters who literally and figuratively raped this country? Shouldn't we stop kneeling down to kiss the Bishop's ring at this stage? This is not the 1950's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Sex abuse rings? some kind of finger worn device that one can abuse with? not sure but we'll see what happens in the Apple launch this week - there may be something like this seeing as we didn't ge the Apple Watch here yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Look at all the Aisan men here in ireland at the moment and growing its possible we could get the same culture here
    Also our own priests its still the tip of the iceberg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Boards' paranoia of being sued will be its undoing. If I'm not allowed call the CC an organisation which facilitated members of its organisation to commit sex crimes a sex ring, then this site really isn't worth posting on anymore tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

magma69 wrote: »
    Boards' paranoia of being sued will be its undoing. If I'm not allowed call the CC an organisation which facilitated members of its organisation to commit sex crimes a sex ring, then this site really isn't worth posting on anymore tbh.

didn't they even admit and apologise for it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement