Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Capri brakes

Options
  • 04-09-2015 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Here's an odd one for you..I lent my Capri to my son and when he returned it he told me the brakes had failed, which they had without doubt...just a tiny bit of brake right at the end of the travel and no amount of pumping would improve that. He told me the reservoir was empty, so he'd re-filled it. I put it away in the garage and left it untouched whilst on a roadtrip in my classic Transit for a fortnight and I went this morning to see about fixing it and ....

it's healed!....

is it possible there was a lot of air in the system and it's worked it's way out whilst stood? He had filled the reservoir to the top and the level had gone down to around the normal mark....I can't see any leakage and there's quite a good pedal at this time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I've fpund a bit of a leak in one rear wheel cylinder (suspected) but can't get the alloy off the hub....any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Loosen the nuts out to the last thread, then let the car back down to the ground, then rock the car.

tried that... :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Are you on the capri power forum?

A lot of helpful capri owners on there.

no I'm not but it isn't a Capri specific problem.....I've doused it with WD40 and left it sitting with one edge of the wheel on a baulk of timber in the hope that the sideways forces will move something overnight :-) don't know what else to try at this stage (obviously tried a big hammer, maybe a bigger one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Loosen the nuts a bit, then go for a short drive. Never failed for me.
    Be careful you don't lose the wheel though.
    Another trick is loosen the nuts, jack up the offending wheel, lie down on the ground with your feet facing the wheel and kick it as hard as you can.
    That type of corrosion gets some hold, might take some kicking.

OK the drive idea sounds drastic but I'll give it a go! Presumably low speed manoevering around the yard would be the first step! I've tried kicking it...mostly in frustration

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

OK the drive idea sounds drastic but I'll give it a go! Presumably low speed manoevering around the yard would be the first step! I've tried kicking it...mostly in frustration

Low speed should do it. You will hear the bang as it releases.

no go....went up and down the road, even tried a handbrake turn...nothing........howabout if I tied a rope round it and tries pulling it off with the Transit? Sideways on like? short sharp shock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Drive the car up beside something solid (a wall), put a jack on its side on the ground and force the bottom of the wheel inwards with the jack.

• Advertisement

will try that later

no good..... :-( It'll have to go to the mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

Just jack the car up and put on an axle stand, lay down underneath and give the wheel (rim not tyre) a clatter out with a lump hammer or sledge. rotate the wheel 90 degrees between blows. It WILL come off once you put some muscle into it.

Tried that :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

You'll just have to hit it harder. Make sure your hitting the wheel and not the tyre.

you can't really hit an alloy.....i'll try a bigger hammer.....but i'll have to pad it out with some timber...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

As above ^^. A few sweet "taps" of a lump hammer or sledge will do the trick. No point hitting or kicking the tyre. Hit the rim using a piece of 3x2 to protect the rim from damage. Turn the rim 90 degrees every few strikes.

Advertisement