Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is a rent book a contract

Options
  • 04-09-2015 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hey,

A guy I work with has been living in rented accommodation for the last year and a half. He's only been given a rent book and hasn't signed a lease or a contract. His landlord is now increasing his rent without notice. I don't believe he can do this but I don't know the legalities of it all.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why don't you believe the landlord cannot increase the rent?
    When you say "without notice", how does your friend the rent is being increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why don't you believe the landlord cannot increase the rent?
    When you say "without notice", how does your friend the rent is being increased?

My friend came back from lunch and just said his rent has been put up this month(EDIT: Just told at lunch by LL and effective from this month) and when I asked about a lease he said all he had was a rent book. My only experience in renting is having a fixed term lease which I believe a landlord can only increase rent at the end of a 12 month contract and must give 28 days notice and it must be within the market value.

As my friend only seems to have a rent book and no lease then I presume there's nothing stopping the landlord from increasing the price but that's why I'm asking here. Is getting a rent book or signing a rent book the same as a lease, a fixed term lease or some other form of agreement. If not as he's paying rent for the last year and a half and obviously have a verbal agreement provide him with some protections or is a rent book on it's own nothing and he has no protections. I just don't know much about rental agreements etc. and don't want to see the guy taken advantage of as he's a foreign national.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

They still have give him 28 days so if they told him today, the rent increase would apply from October.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

A rent book is perfectly acceptable in place of a written lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

You cant increase it within 12 months. Your friend has tenancy protections after 6 months (part 4). The landlord is within his rights to increase the rent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement