Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Security & Forensics

• 01-09-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey guys , can you tell me about the security course in lyit ? Is it worth to go to that course and would a graduate get a promising job after the course ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ifty661

Hey guys , can you tell me about the security course in lyit ? Is it worth to go to that course and would a graduate get a promising job after the course ?

Worth it? That depends on what you are looking for. There will be loads of jobs out there once finished in a variety of fields. I am just heading into third year so if you have any specific questions ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JimJamMiniMini

ifty661 wrote: »
    Worth it? That depends on what you are looking for. There will be loads of jobs out there once finished in a variety of fields. I am just heading into third year so if you have any specific questions ask away

Is it a hard course? Do you learn alot of security specifics like ethical hacking, password cracking, pen testing, ddosing, viruses etc. and how to protect from that kind of stuff?

Is it a hard course? Do you learn alot of security specifics like ethical hacking, password cracking, pen testing, ddosing, viruses etc. and how to protect from that kind of stuff?

Again hard is relative. It depends on a few things.

You will learn some of that stuff and how to defend against it of course. It might not seem like it but it does all sort of tie in.

Are you actually starting the course?

Again hard is relative. It depends on a few things.

You will learn some of that stuff and how to defend against it of course. It might not seem like it but it does all sort of tie in.

Are you actually starting the course?

I am thinking of doing it next year, i will be doing my leaving cert in 2016.

I am thinking of doing it next year, i will be doing my leaving cert in 2016.

Right. Where about are you? (Roughly ;) ) There is an open day in the college around October/November time where students come in and can ask lecturers and some students questions regarding courses/experiences etc. Might be an idea to try to get to that.

• Advertisement

Right. Where about are you? (Roughly ;) ) There is an open day in the college around October/November time where students come in and can ask lecturers and some students questions regarding courses/experiences etc. Might be an idea to try to get to that.

Im in South part of Ireland, long trip to letterkenny though, i will see on my c&g list if we will be going there.

Yeah if you were from Donegal it wouldn't be too much of a problem!

Are the lecturers there alright and helpful? Is that true that employers come to lyit and ask students from computer security course to work for them?

Are the lecturers there alright and helpful? Is that true that employers come to lyit and ask students from computer security course to work for them?

Short answer yes and kind of.

The lecturers have been good as far as I concerned and fairly helpful, they don't lead you by the hand but will point you in the right direction. As for employers there are a couple of local companies that tie in with the college on the security courses and actively recruit security graduates, so I guess yes.

Short answer yes and kind of.

The lecturers have been good as far as I concerned and fairly helpful, they don't lead you by the hand but will point you in the right direction. As for employers there are a couple of local companies that tie in with the college on the security courses and actively recruit security graduates, so I guess yes.

Would you get a well paying job after this course like 80k or higher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

I don't know about this course personally but it would be unlikely that there would be too many graduate positions paying that much. Also if your main reason for doing a course is how much money you could make after then you should really consider is it a field you would be happy to work in for the next 30+ years and keep up to date on all the latest technologies etc... even after college because any computer related field there is constant growth and you have to keep up with it in your own time take the interest and initiative to read the books and journals etc to stay current.

Also regarding employers coming in to LYIT the way I understand it and I may be wrong is many will come in and talk to students and then towrads april time they will reach out to department heads and look for the top students and contact them to offer them the opportunity to interview for positions but not outright offer them a job as marks is only one part of it they look to gauge your personality and how you'd fit into a team etc...

If you find one paying that much let me know.

If you find one paying that much let me know.

Look on irish jobs, i would post a link but im a new user and i cant, these jobs are everywhere ;D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Look on irish jobs, i would post a link but im a new user and i cant, these jobs are everywhere ;D

For people straight out of college with no experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,379 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I assume you are being sarcastic. There are very very few graduate jobs in IT (or any sector) paying that type of money to a 22/23 year old fresh outta college.

kippy wrote: »
    I assume you are being sarcastic. There are very very few graduate jobs in IT (or any sector) paying that type of money to a 22/23 year old fresh outta college.

Didnt mean fresh out of college ;D after like 2 years experience or so

Didnt mean fresh out of college ;D after like 2 years experience or so

80K after two years experience is also pretty rare.

kippy wrote:
    80K after two years experience is also pretty rare.

Pretty?

Pretty?

Well there are the few that start/develop their own business's etc that MIGHT get that level of income 6 years after leaving college depending on any amount of variables.

Would you be able to become an Ethical Hacker after this course ? Could a graduate hack into websites and servers and protect from it or is that stuff only tought by industries ?

• Advertisement

Would you be able to become an Ethical Hacker after this course ? Could a graduate hack into websites and servers and protect from it or is that stuff only tought by industries ?

Yes and no. You need to do an awful lot of work on your own as well. You will get taught the basics but most of it is patience.

Is there a lot of penetration testing on the course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 foggyn

Adverts | Friends
    hello there ,
    i just want to ask your advice on this course??
    i am thinking about applying for the degree in computer security and digital forensics at lyit (letterkenny I.T. )
    the thing is i am 56 now and would be 60 by the time i finish
    im long term unemployed so financially its not going to affect me lol
    i have worked in security but not in the IT sector.just retail. store detective etc

my question is? am i too old to enter the IT security computing profession? is it too late? any advice on whether i should persue this? would my age be a disadvantage in gaining employment after the course?

will prospective employers look at my age or my qualifications as a grounds to hire me or not?
    lots of questions i know, im just looking for feedback, if there is anyone out there that was in a similiar situation as myself how did you get on?
    i love computers and how they work,
    foggyn is online now Report Post

• Registered Users Posts: 31 foggyn

would you have many mature students on this course? 40 plus|?

Advertisement