Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for setting up home game

• 14-04-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Haven't played poker in a few years but am having a poker night this Friday with about 7 of the lads, hopefully the first of a regular thing. It'll be more about getting the group together than anything really, as a few of the lads haven't played before but are interested in learning.

I have a poker table top that I think seats 8 and I have two separate sets of chips, dealer and blinds chips, and decent sets of cards. Was thinking of tenner in and tenner rebuys for the first 90mins or so, starting at 8pm. Want to have it wrap up by about 12-1am. What's the best way to structure the tournament to have it work with those timelines?

What apps would people recommend for managing things? Don't have Android or iPad, so it's Windows options only, had a quick scan but nothing seemed to stand out so it'd be a good one to hear some suggestions on.

Other than the above and printing sheets to new players can easily see the hand rankings etc, any other tips people would have for running things smoothly and to prevent any disputes?

Have a little trophy that we'll play for each time, and reckon that a tournament setup would be best overall as a cash game would seem too hardcore for the lads, but was wondering if I should reconsider that?

Seem to recall this forum being very active when I was playing a bit years back, then it split off into a separate site that I can't remember, so not sure if there's many heads still knocking about this place or not?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Does it have to be a tournament? I would regularly have played with a group of mates and have cash games, like so:

€20 buyins - as many as someone likes
    games are either 50c/€1 or €1/€2
    can mix it up - round of each, dealers choice etc.

Then all you need to do is decide which colour chip is worth what.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Yeh guess I was just thinking of a tournament by default, doesn't necessarily have to be a tourney.

I suppose the advantages of a cash game are that your chips maintain their monetary value throughout and you can cash out at any time.

On the other hand, the advantage of a tournament is it has the focus point of everyone working towards trying to be the overall winner (and have the honour of receiving the p1sstake trophy I've got) rather than the increased focus on cash in a cash game. A tournament also has different dynamics throughout, but has the downsides of potentially going on for ages and what do lads who have been knocked out do.

I'll noodle on it and make a call. If I do go with a tournament, any tips on blind structures and software to use (know I can just use a clock, but having a laptop running will help new players see what's going on with the blinds etc.)? Want to avoid some of the setups I've seen in pub tournaments where the blind structure is so aggressive it just makes it into an all-in fest and crapshoot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

On the other hand, the advantage of a tournament is it has the focus point of everyone working towards trying to be the overall winner (and have the honour of receiving the p1sstake trophy I've got)

So make it for the biggest winner of the evening - just keep track of buyins and cashouts.
    A tournament also has different dynamics throughout, but has the downsides of potentially going on for ages and what do lads who have been knocked out do.

It can be really dull to be knocked out of a tourney early - enough to make people go home.
    If I do go with a tournament, any tips on blind structures and software to use (know I can just use a clock, but having a laptop running will help new players see what's going on with the blinds etc.)

No idea, sorry.
    Want to avoid some of the setups I've seen in pub tournaments where the blind structure is so aggressive it just makes it into an all-in fest and crapshoot.

Very hard to do that without going way into the night - that's why pub tournies are set up the way they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

I've never played cash and generally my impression is it's for more serious players I have o interest in it away so if you decide to go that way someone else can help. I've never used an app for any of it I don't think I can remember anyone I know using one either maybe someone else can suggest something.

I don't play much at all anymore but here goes.

The tournament ends roughly in the blind period when the big blind is more than 5% of the total chips roughly. It's a very rough rough rule.

Also people tend to think blind periods should be fast in order to end on time. But if you are asking everyone to deal you have to remember home players deal more slowly than actual dealers. sometimes it's better to adjust stacks at the start than Blind periods and have aggressive blinds. EH that could just be our crowd though. Start 10,000 in chips double up Blinds every level. It's a bit rigid but it's simple.

We never have a real colour up we just exchange as many low chips as we can leave the rest on the table.

We each buy in for a ten or fifteen Euro and rebuys ten Euro.

A trophy seems a bit over the top TBH.

It's all about your snacks really.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Had a pub game last night with 8 players that lasted just under 4 hours. Starting stack 8.000 chips, blinds 50/100, 75/150, 100/200 etc. Rebuy for 6 levels or top up also 8,000. Player knocked out could always start a cash agme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 IrelandGuy

When I'm hosting a game and it goes on too long then we cut the deck and remove 6 and under.
    Your going to get a lot of good hands and more chance of higher bets, it usually happens after 1am as we mainly play for the social element.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

When I'm hosting a game and it goes on too long then we cut the deck and remove 6 and under.

Why not just increase the blinds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IrelandGuy

Hey okidoki987,

We do but not in the traditional sense.

Everybody posts blinds at the beginning of a hand - no big/small blind. It ensures there's always a small pot.

When somebody gets cleaned out, the blinds (that we all pay) rise slightly. By the time two players are left, the starting blinds are six times as expensive.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

We do a home game with about 8 regulars. We do two games in the night, one costs a fiver. Second game a tenner. Blinds go up every ten minutes. Couldn't tell you what we have in chips to be honest. Tried to keep track of wins, but not everyone was there every time, so really it's all down to the cash on the night. No buy backs either actually!

Winner gets the cash. Second gets their money back plus five or ten (small or big game) third gets money back (if we have the numbers).

It's just some friends having fun, but that's how we do it.

We play every two weeks, have done for the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭What are those?

Play every friday with a group of lads usually between 6-10 depending on whos around We're only 18-20 age group so money isnt abundant but we do 5er in for X amount of chips and do unlimited buy backs for usually 2 hours lets say 9:30-11:30 and then once thats gone its straight knockout so the game doesnt go on for hours (Usually ends around 1 or so) As far as blinds are concerned we just have a designated person to put a timer on their phone to up the blinds every 30mins or whatever suits you best starting from 11:30 onwards so that anyone who buys back in early doors isnt at too much a disadvantage so it encourages them to buy in again thus increasing the pot also made a rule that anyone on their phone and still in the hand gets a penalty of putting the value of the blind in the pot.Obviously dont be too strict here but if someones really holding up the game you should consider it

• Advertisement
Advertisement