Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I loved the materia system and would love to see it return. Rebalance it and make it work better. But absolutely no to an action RPG. FF7 is my favourite game of all time but if it's an action RPG or any of that nonsense I will not buy it.

Last FF I truly enjoyed was FFX. Everything since then has been crap for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Memnoch wrote: »
    I loved the materia system and would love to see it return. Rebalance it and make it work better. But absolutely no to an action RPG. FF7 is my favourite game of all time but if it's an action RPG or any of that nonsense I will not buy it.

Yeah, I agree on both points. I'll likely still buy it though since I'm a sucker...:pac: XII was decent, but after that I really lost interest. I have no interest in MMO style games so 11/14 don't make me want to play them, and 13 was a let down for me.

I would like to see difficulty options in the remake. The original was a cakewalk. Difficulty options in any RPG, or pretty much any game, are always a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Would enjoy a run down of the ways FFV & FF8 could be broken. Enjoyed reading about the breaking of FF7 so much I'm inclined to start playing it again to try it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

With FFVIII I used to junction 99 Death magic to attack. One hit kill pretty much everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's some good videos online of How to break the materia system in FF7, some of them are a lot of fun. I'll post them later. The problem is they only really apply to taking on the megabosses.

FF8 is all about junctioning magic and abusing the card game. You can get Squall's best weapon in the first disc giving you access to the best limit break in the game, you can abuse the crap out of GF abilities if you prioritise +1 stat abilities so you get a permanent +1 stat boost every level up allowing you to max out a stat at 256 very early. Also you can refine cards or lower level magic into higher level ones allowing you access to high level elemental spells very early in the game to junction to stats. If you are playing it right your base normal attack should be outputting more damage than anything else in the game. Also junctioning status effects is a lot of fun.

As for FF5 you can gain permanent abilities from job classes and mix and match them for some insane effects. Double handing weapons with the ability to attack 4 times a round means you can get 8 attacks in every round. Using the squire job class in the end game also allows you to use up to 4 job abilities further increasing the borken awesome. There's some other really bizarre combinations and it's only really out done by FF Tactics which had an even more elaborate job system. You could also steal some ridiculously OP items from bosses (I got an accessory that meant if I equipped it to a female character then they would auto resurrect if killed after 3 turns :) ). For instance knights have the ability to break enemy equipment, it's an extremely important ability but your knights are really slow. So how about giving a chemist the knights break equipment skills and equiping them with a gun allowing them to destroy the enemies weapons and defense before they can even get to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Beastermc

Memnoch wrote:

I'm exactly the same. I was totally immersed in 7 and 10, absolutely loved playing those games. I couldn't get properly into 8 or 9 (finished neither), gave X-2 a go, it ended any hope I had of another FF of 7 or 10's level being made again. Didn't bother with any FF after that, so this will hopefully be playable at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Didn't enjoy 8 or 9 as much either but both had their charm. Loved the card game in 8 and the world. Nine was charming and beautiful to explore. Most importantly both FELT like what an FF game meant to me. Can't say the same for anything after X. I didn't finish X2. Didn't finish 12. Finished 13 but didn't really like it. Didn't finish 13-2. And gave up on FF after that.

Next one (15) looks like an action RPG so no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Loved the PS one trilogy of 7-9. 8 was probably the weakest of the 3 for me but nonetheless a great game. 10 was excellent and for me, the last really good final Fantasy game I've played (console installments, never played the MMOS).

10-2 was just weird for me, managed to finish it but wasn't crazy about it at all. It was a lot more... I suppose "Japanese" than FF10, which may have went down well with some gamers but wasn't to my taste.

FF12, I must have ploughed about 60 hours into it. The story is uninteresting imo but there's a lot there to like. The change up to the battle system was managed quite well too but the world felt a lot less open and the boss fights are just too bland and soulless for me, just British accented dudes in suits of armour. (I'm obviously overlooking a lot of boss fights from the game but those judge boss fights are the ones that stick out in my memory).

On the topic of FF7,i wonder will there be a world map and can we fly around it in the high wind? It's probably asking a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

On the topic of FF7,i wonder will there be a world map and can we fly around it in the high wind? It's probably asking a bit much.

I should certainly hope so! It will be a sham of a remake if they're removing things like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All I'd say is more people need to play ff13-3. It's a fantastic RPG and the developers recognise the story is absolute rot so go for the silly route which really works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All I'd say is more people need to play ff13-3. It's a fantastic RPG and the developers recognise the story is absolute rot so go for the silly route which really works.

Yeah, but do we have to play FF13 to then play FF13-3 ....because I'd assume it doesn't make much sense without it.
    I'd take up your recommendation, but I'll have to start 13 first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Retr0gamer wrote: »

FF8 is all about junctioning magic and abusing the card game. You can get Squall's best weapon in the first disc giving you access to the best limit break in the game, you can abuse the crap out of GF abilities if you prioritise +1 stat abilities so you get a permanent +1 stat boost every level up allowing you to max out a stat at 256 very early. Also you can refine cards or lower level magic into higher level ones allowing you access to high level elemental spells very early in the game to junction to stats.

Ah "Card"... I remember hanging around on Balamb Beach grinding just to unlock that ability. It's gameover once you have that & Str-J.

I played 8 before 7, and I'd say I prefer it to all of them other than X.
    It was crazy, Squall could be a D*ck, and it was CRAZY, but I still love it. Some of the sequences were great, had a cool soundtrack, and I quite liked how there was some interaction in the attacks, even if it was just pulling the trigger on Limit Breaks.
    Bought it on PS3 a couple of months back, console died before I could finish it. Devastating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I was 14 when FF8 first came out, and Internet in Ireland was still dial-up !

I had no way of knowing how to 'break' the game nor did it Enter my mind back then. I enjoyed it for what it was.
    I can remember getting everyone to lvl 100 though, and getting ALL the cards in the game (It was a hard choice for me to refine them into items after working so hard to collect them)

As for FF7...that was 97 I think, So I was about 12, there was no way I'd have worked out how to break the Materia system or realise how bad/good it was compared to anything else....as it was my first real RPG and experience with such.

I think some people go looking and reading for OP stuff in games and kind of 'want' to have all this OP stuff so as they can comment on how if you did certain things they game was sooo easy, to impress their friends.

I doubt most people here posting about their 'game breaking' discoveries actually found them themselves.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yeah, but do we have to play FF13 to then play FF13-3 ....because I'd assume it doesn't make much sense without it.
    I'd take up your recommendation, but I'll have to start 13 first

No need to play any of them. The story in the FF games is a complete and utter mess and by the time they got to 13-3 (and well 13-2 as well) the developer Tri-ace knew it was gash so just had some fun with it. You don't play FF13-3 for the story but for the mechanics and breaking the time system which is a huge amount of fun.
    I think some people go looking and reading for OP stuff in games and kind of 'want' to have all this OP stuff so as they can comment on how if you did certain things they game was sooo easy, to impress their friends.

I doubt most people here posting about their 'game breaking' discoveries actually found them themselves.

You say that as if mechanic breaking stuff is a bad thing but since FF5 the series has been mostly about abusing the mechanics and breaking the system. That in itself is where most of the fun in a FF game is. For instance I went through FF8 the first time and I only figured out how to break the game system right at the very ended. I absolutely hated the game. Went back through it the second time abusing the mechanics and loved it despite everything else about the game being ropey. The best FF games are built around this system abuse. Finding your own combinations is a huge part of the fun of these games and isn't all that difficult especially when said games are built around and encourage you to breaking them.

If anything FF7 didn't have enough of these kind of fun mechanic breaking quirks. The materia pairing system could have been very interesting but it's not until the end game when you get stuff like mime and 4x cut that the ganme lets you have some fun with the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Was also young when FF8 came out and it was my second RPG ever after FF7. Had no idea how the junction system worked, played through half of the game without junctioning anything to my stats :o Just spammed summons in most fights. When i figured out the junction system it broke the game for me because the system by default is broken. Spamming Draw in fights to get 99 of the spell you want was so boring, then you equip it to your Attack stat and you don't have to use spells for the rest of the game outside of heals...

Card game was great though :D

Once you stop using summons I find the game got a hell of a lot better. The battle system was pretty rubbish so it sped it up an awful lot, the real fun was messing about with junctions. Also if you rely on summons you are eventually going to get boned in an unwinnable situation. The fight in space with the space witch or whatever is what usually ends newcomers runs and it nearly ended my first run through it as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I was 14 when FF8 first came out, and Internet in Ireland was still dial-up !

I had no way of knowing how to 'break' the game nor did it Enter my mind back then. I enjoyed it for what it was.
    I can remember getting everyone to lvl 100 though, and getting ALL the cards in the game (It was a hard choice for me to refine them into items after working so hard to collect them)

As for FF7...that was 97 I think, So I was about 12, there was no way I'd have worked out how to break the Materia system or realise how bad/good it was compared to anything else....as it was my first real RPG and experience with such.

I'd thank this twice but it won't let me.

I don't know what to make of these broken system posts the last few pages + the Thanks on your post show we are not alone....+1 to your last two paragraphs...and discoveries after about 5 play throughs no doubt.

This guy has some other great videos as well, the glitches on in particular is amazing as is the guide he did on ridiculous ways to beat the ultimate weapons.

Why are people acting like breaking/finding exploits with FF7/8 system was so hard or unbeknowst to people on their first playthrough? I don't see how Internet access factors in. When I first played these games I definitely found these little quirks first hand. 8 practically explains how to completely blow the junction system wide open during the in game tutorial. By design its a flawed system. I remember using the GF abilities to farm stat items and the like. It goes on and on but finding this stuff out is not hard, especially when the game gives you the tools and the info on how to do it within the first hour of the game. :pac:

I guess it depends on the definition of the word "break". You cant really do any breaking in 7 until towards the end. My friend and I couldn't beat Ruby for ages until we began experimenting with different materia setups until we found some messy stuff. I remember how amazed we were when we paired final attack with Phoenix, we couldn't get over how or why that should work. It was fun and interesting finding out these thinga. We didn't have Internet access and it added to the fun in finding out all this stuff. I'm not saying I'm a genius, just saying there's no need to downplay it and act as if stuff wasn't found out firsthand, well, when it was.

I still loved and enjoyed the games either way. This added to the fun for me.

It's also very much by design, these broken battle systems are a speciality of Squaresoft which defines final fantasy and makes them fun. They are designed to be that way to allow players to experiment with them and ultimately be rewarded when they find something that works. You really don't have to be a genius to mess around with ff7 to discover some of the craziness of the system. Ff8 though... Took me a while to figure that one out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Might try playing the original again sometime. Never even got off disc one back when I played it on the Playstation. I remember running into an enemy on a bridge that was way too powerful for me to fight, didn't know what I was suppose to do and just gave up.

Which is the better version PC or PS1?

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It's also very much by design, these broken battle systems are a speciality of Squaresoft which defines final fantasy and makes them fun. They are designed to be that way to allow players to experiment with them and ultimately be rewarded when they find something that works. You really don't have to be a genius to mess around with ff7 to discover some of the craziness of the system. Ff8 though... Took me a while to figure that one out.

I agree. The junction system in 8 was very fun to mess around with. And the gf system was fun too. Messy, but fun.

On a seperate note, on the topic of FF8, God the hours I spent playing triple triad, is unholy! Such an addictive mini game. It was more fun than the actual game itself at times!

Azza wrote:
    Might try playing the original again sometime. Never even got off disc one back when I played it on the Playstation. I remember running into an enemy on a bridge that was way too powerful for me to fight, didn't know what I was suppose to do and just gave up.

I assume you mean the giant atmx spider boss thing you fight in FF8 on the dolet mission. You had to run from him but I think technically you could kill him with limit spam.

On topic, I could be wrong but I believe PS1 was superior because of the PC version using crappy midi sound. Also I think the Pc version had frame rate issues and slow loading times? I could be making that up or confusing it with a different game though :o

There are likely mods for the Pc version to enhance gfx a little and use mp3s for the soundtrack, though. Unless there's some other reason one version is superior to the other. I'm sure retrogamer or someone else more knowledgable than me can chime in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ramza wrote: »
    I agree. The junction system in 8 was very fun to mess around with. And the gf system was fun too. Messy, but fun.

On a seperate note, on the topic of FF8, God the hours I spent playing triple triad, is unholy! Such an addictive mini game. It was more fun than the actual game itself at times!

The card games in 8 and 9 and blitzball in 10 were just fantastic time sinks. A not insignificant portion of my childhood was taken up with them alone never mind the actual games themselves.

The card games in 8 and 9 and blitzball in 10 were just fantastic time sinks. A not insignificant portion of my childhood was taken up with them alone never mind the actual games themselves.

Same here. Remember always wishing there was a two player mode so you could play friends :( Unless there was and i completely forget? I could have swore there was a way to play in the menu after clearing the game. I can't even remember if thats true or if I am completely imagining that, its been so many years

I assume you mean the giant atmx spider boss thing you fight in FF8 on the dolet mission. You had to run from him but I think technically you could kill him with limit spam.

On topic, I could be wrong but I believe PS1 was superior because of the PC version using crappy midi sound. Also I think the Pc version had frame rate issues and slow loading times? I could be making that up or confusing it with a different game though :o

There are likely mods for the Pc version to enhance gfx a little and use mp3s for the soundtrack, though. Unless there's some other reason one version is superior to the other. I'm sure retrogamer or someone else more knowledgable than me can chime in.

I think when it came to the 8 conversion they did a pretty good job compared to the ff7 port.

Apparently the PC version of 7 had 3 separate soundtracks.

The low quality midi version that most people would of heard.

A second higher quality version that's the equivalent of the PSX version for users with a Sound Blaster AWE 64 card.

And the highest quality version of the soundtrack for users of Yamaha sound cards that it seems no one has ever heard. Linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDZMqCSBg2Q&index=1&list=PL55731C2A92FBB4EE

Ff7 came with a software emulator to emulate the Yamaha sound card. It took up cpu resources to sound better. Basically you would need to dedicate 50% of you cup to it to get it to sound decent which screwed with the games performance.

Whichever you choose though they will all sound crap and off to the ps1 original. What I did was copy .ogg versions of the soundtrack into the music folder, you can find the link to how to do it in one of the community guides on steam.

The soundtrack I linked to that uses a Yahama soundcard not the emulation software and is from a technical perspective superior to the PSX version. It just sounds different from the PSX version that 99% of people know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Same here. Remember always wishing there was a two player mode so you could play friends :( Unless there was and i completely forget? I could have swore there was a way to play in the menu after clearing the game. I can't even remember if thats true or if I am completely imagining that, its been so many years

That sounds like the blackjack you could unlock at the end of ff9.

I must go back and try ff8 again, I never fully understood the junction system and because of that it was an awful slog for me to beat the game and probably why I was never in a hurry to return. Would be good to go back and revisit it 10 years later to see how much I could break it

Advertisement