Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South East Walks

• 28-08-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Any recommendations for long walks in the south east region? I've completed most of the usual suspects. Anything up to 8/9 hours, i.e. 20/25k. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

You looking for upland or lowland stuff?

Handy one for starters:

Saleens Carpark to Dunmore. First leg is the most awkward but there is a path nearly all the way. Only bit that you have to come away from the coast is in Ballymacaw, from there though it's great. Fantastic scenery in both directions.

You can easily break it into stages too if you're caught for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

this is one of the nicest walks in the country especially the last 3 sections from Bagenalstown to St Mullins, cant recommend it enough and maybe if your from Waterford start in St Mullins its only about 40 mins from the Rice bridge...
    http://www.irishtrails.ie/trail/barrow-way/2/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Roen wrote: »
    You looking for upland or lowland stuff?

Handy one for starters:

Saleens Carpark to Dunmore. First leg is the most awkward but there is a path nearly all the way. Only bit that you have to come away from the coast is in Ballymacaw, from there though it's great. Fantastic scenery in both directions.

You can easily break it into stages too if you're caught for time.

thank you. forgot about that walk. im open to any sort of walk, whether it be upland or lowland.
    linny wrote: »
    this is one of the nicest walks in the country especially the last 3 sections from Bagenalstown to St Mullins, cant recommend it enough and maybe if your from Waterford start in St Mullins its only about 40 mins from the Rice bridge...
    http://www.irishtrails.ie/trail/barrow-way/2/

thank you. i recently complete the south leinster way. think a section of that is a section of this walk to.

keep them coming folks

thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What about some the Wicklow Way- the section from Tinahely to Clonegal wouldn't be too far from you?

What about some the Wicklow Way- the section from Tinahely to Clonegal wouldn't be too far from you?

i probably should change the title of the tread as i would be willing to do this walk but i just want to do as many walks in my own neighbourhood first. i was recently in the wicklow mountains. its simply stunning. thank you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

South Leinster way, can do different parts of it or spend a few days and do whole thing. It's about 100km total (i think)

Been planning on doing it for the past year all in one go,

Cabaal wrote: »
    South Leinster way, can do different parts of it or spend a few days and do whole thing. It's about 100km total (i think)

Been planning on doing it for the past year all in one go,

just done it. go for it. simply fantastic. no official camping spots so just be careful of that one. done it in 4 non consecutive days

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There's several up in the Comeraghs, around Crotty's lake and Coumshingaun: http://www.waterfordwebdesign.ie/how-to-get-to-coumshingaun-directions-and-things-to-look-out-for/

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

There's several up in the Comeraghs, around Crotty's lake and Coumshingaun: http://www.waterfordwebdesign.ie/how-to-get-to-coumshingaun-directions-and-things-to-look-out-for/

im a regular visitor. was only up there last week but thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Scan_20150828_zpsqphqu9tk.jpg

• Advertisement

what book is that taken from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what book is that taken from?

Walking in the Blackstairs by Joss Lynam

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

just done it. go for it. simply fantastic. no official camping spots so just be careful of that one. done it in 4 non consecutive days

I'm not too worried about camping spots, gona be aiming to do the lot in less then 18hrs.

Just need to rope somebody else I'm to do it with me as dont fancy running it on my own :)

Any suggestions for a good detailed map of the route?

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm not too worried about camping spots, gona be aiming to do the lot in less then 18hrs.

Just need to rope somebody else I'm to do it with me as dont fancy running it on my own :)

Any suggestions for a good detailed map of the route?

jasus theres a challenge. best of luck with that one. not a hope id be able to do it. im wrecked after 25k walks.

most info you require is here:

http://www.irishtrails.ie/trail/South-Leinster-Way/33/

id highly recommend bringing the osi maps mentioned on that site as some of the official marker posts are missing in a couple of spots and the maps will get you out of trouble, even though i got lost in a couple of spots and had to backtrack. a good bit of the route is also by road so be aware of that. not kind on the feet

has anybody walked the old railway track to tramore? is it passable and is it on much private land?

http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/dismantled-railway-tramore-to-waterford/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

has anybody walked the old railway track to tramore? is it passable and is it on much private land?

http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/dismantled-railway-tramore-to-waterford/

Not really possible any more, a lot of it is filled in , most on private land.

wellboytoo wrote: »

was thinking that. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

What is a really nice walk is Annestown beach to Dunhill via the Anne valley walk. It is not very long but it is a nice way to spend passing an hour or so on a quiet Sunday evening. :)

Awful shame that,
    Was always interested where the railway line was actually on the way out to Tramore. Pity it can be atleast walked these days,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jb73Dub

Great thread - will be doing lots of walks down this way very soon.

• Advertisement

jb73Dub wrote:
    Great thread - will be doing lots of walks down this way very soon.

Hope you enjoy yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Up and down the by pass and ring road? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

thinking about doing this, thank you

thinking about doing this, thank you

You also have The Munster Way

https://www.irishtrails.ie/trail/East-Munster-Way/17/

We're actually spoiled with great walks..........

You also have The Munster Way

https://www.irishtrails.ie/trail/East-Munster-Way/17/

We're actually spoiled with great walks..........

ive done it and the south leinster way, lovely walks, well recommended

ive done it and the south leinster way, lovely walks, well recommended

I shouldn't be surprised with a username like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

However, I would guess that the old Waterford to New Ross railway line might still be walkable? Kilkenny CC have recently been doing a bit of groundwork to possibly turn it into a South Kilkenny Greenway. Wouldn't it be fantastic to have two greenways on our doorstep?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

However, I would guess that the old Waterford to New Ross railway line might still be walkable? Kilkenny CC have recently been doing a bit of groundwork to possibly turn it into a South Kilkenny Greenway. Wouldn't it be fantastic to have two greenways on our doorstep?

They cut the weeds on the tracks etc back in ferrybank about two or more years ago only to leave it overgrow again. No idea what it looks like now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

They cut the weeds on the tracks etc back in ferrybank about two or more years ago only to leave it overgrow again. No idea what it looks like now.

Well, I hope that they'll do something a bit more long term with it in time. It really would be a bit of a boost to tourism to have Waterford at the start/finish of two greenways.

Advertisement