Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FL Studio Music Production Lessons

Options
  • 24-08-2015 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Wasnt sure where to post this question so I thought I'd throw it here.. Ive been messing around with Fl studio for music production for the past 2 months but its very difficult to learn from youtube and the likes..

My question being; is there anywhere or anyone in Dublin that can provide help with learning FL studio and music production that are not online based? Whether it be lessons/grinds or anything like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

jackb1234 wrote: »
    Wasnt sure where to post this question so I thought I'd throw it here.. Ive been messing around with Fl studio for music production for the past 2 months but its very difficult to learn from youtube and the likes..

My question being; is there anywhere or anyone in Dublin that can provide help with learning FL studio and music production that are not online based? Whether it be lessons/grinds or anything like that?

Whose tutorials have you been following? Some are pretty good I find. What aspects of FL Studio are you particularly looking to learn about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jackb1234

mordeith wrote: »
    Whose tutorials have you been following? Some are pretty good I find. What aspects of FL Studio are you particularly looking to learn about?

Been watching different kinds of tutorials for all electronic genres really deep house etc. I'm a quick learner with a short attention span so some tutorials 40mins etc can just be too long for me to handle..

Basically I've made a track and it sounds good but I've pretty much no idea about adding effects, mixing and mastering the track to make it sound more professional.. Which is where I would need someone with experience to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

jackb1234 wrote: »
    Been watching different kinds of tutorials for all electronic genres really deep house etc. I'm a quick learner with a short attention span so some tutorials 40mins etc can just be too long for me to handle..

Basically I've made a track and it sounds good but I've pretty much no idea about adding effects, mixing and mastering the track to make it sound more professional.. Which is where I would need someone with experience to help.

Right well, first off no amount of mixing and mastering is going to make a track sound good if the actual tune itself is muck. Having said that, music is subjective so what one likes another will hate. Regarding mixing, I dont' belive it's something that be learned per se. You really need to use your ears to see what elements need adjusting in your mix, whether that be volume levels, or panning.
    Mastering is another beast altogether. Everyone does things differently. I tend to put very little (if anything) on the master channel. I tend to put compressors of individual tracks (mainly kicks and other percussion).
    EQing is another vital element to making a track sound well. Again you need to train train your ears here. Of course good monitoring equipment will help here or just trying your track on various setups. Use of a freq analyser is also very useful in identifying clashing frequencies.
    Effects can be overdone so I'd start off with some subtle and basic things like reverb and delay. Play around with different settings and see what sounds good. Sometimes even a little can make a big difference. Also using automation on your effects helps to add interest to a track.
    Of course this is all just my take on things. I have no qualifications whatsoever, just years of trying to improve my own sounds and fine tune the small details. No that I'm anywhere near the end of that particular struggle :rolleyes:

Advertisement