Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate in Irish Translations

Options
  • 20-08-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Anyone know or any jobs going, linked to translations or even just in Irish background. From Gaoth Dobhair, Co. Donegal. Graduated this year. Should I be looking more for internships or just try get my foot in the door of a big firm?

Anyone got any advice or know of any jobs be well appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

I know PAS advertise for translators sometimes. I get their job alerts and last year they were looking for Irish-language translators. You register on their website www.publicjobs.ie and then sign up for job alerts. The translator job was under the category and subcategory: Graduate and Trainee / Junior Management - Other.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

I hate to say it but I think internships or freelance voluntary/unpaid work is your only option, at least in the short-term.

After graduating with a degree in translation 3 years ago, this was the advice given to me by my lecturer :( It sucks but hopefully if you get in with a reputable company it won't be for long and then you can start working your way up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Try and pass the Séala Creidiúnaithe d'Aistritheoirí exam. Keep an eye here for info, they only run it once a year: http://www.gaeilge.ie/an-ghaeilge/na-corais-chreidiunaithe/

Once you pass it you will be officially qualified to translate for Irish Government bodies, although some still employ the services of unqualified translators.

In terms of jobs, I was recently asked to apply for an Irish translation job in Kiev, but naturally turned it down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

I'm not sure of the qualifications required, but I do know the EU put out a call just this week for Linguistic Assistants. From the quick read through I gave it, it looked like entry-level roles, assisting qualified linguists/lawyer linguists in reviewing dox. It's an open competition Presumably.

Can't post a link, but if you google: Europa EPSO Linguistic Assistants I'd say it'll pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

LorcanMull wrote: »
    Anyone know or any jobs going, linked to translations or even just in Irish background. From Gaoth Dobhair, Co. Donegal. Graduated this year. Should I be looking more for internships or just try get my foot in the door of a big firm?

Anyone got any advice or know of any jobs be well appreciated.

Foras na Gaeilge have a few positions going right now. They're putting together a panel to last until 2018. Closing dates approaching.

http://www.gaeilge.ie/foluntas-sealadach/

http://www.teanglann.ie/ga/_nuacht/paineal2015

• Advertisement
Advertisement