Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic welding

Options
  • 28-07-2015 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a plastic welder ?

GH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭renas

Anyone have a plastic welder ?

GH

it really depends what you want to do, sometimes can be done without such tools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

renas wrote: »
    it really depends what you want to do, sometimes can be done without such tools

I dont see how you could weld plastic without a plastic welder :P

Judging by the response no one seems used them to repair broken Airsoft parts.

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭richie231069

This is going to sound a bit funny but i have used both a soldering iron and a thin knife heated on a gas ring.
    Both with pretty decent results.
    For strength try to blend in a piece of the same plastic taken from an inconspicuous place such as an inside seam shaved with a blade or anything that looks superfluous.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

This is going to sound a bit funny but i have used both a soldering iron and a thin knife heated on a gas ring.
    Both with pretty decent results.
    For strength try to blend in a piece of the same plastic taken from an inconspicuous place such as an inside seam shaved with a blade or anything that looks superfluous.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Thats what I had done myself for other parts but the strength isnt there unless you use a filler rod (its the same when welding metal.)

Ive located a welding kit that has both filler rods and mesh to provide additional strength.

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

tis done regular enough with motorcycle fairings

can use cable ties as filler rod, and staples / paperclips as reinforcement (put soldering iron directly on the metal, to heat it up, and then press into the plastic with the iron when hot enough)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mad Englishman

I repaired my PC plastics with a soldering iron and some similar plastic. It worked fairly well... Looks kind of ugly on the inside, but you don't see the inside of the plastic any way! If it is a gun part, you will HAVE to be careful not to antecedently heat a fixing point or other important part. Have fun and stay safe! Kev B, (AKA {The} Mad Englishman.):-)

Advertisement