Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

yoyojc wrote:
    Hi, I'm hoping someone could help me out!

I'll probably just miss out on Med this year due to my HPAT but I did get 6 A's in the Leaving Cert

Can I use these grades which I got this year to apply to the UK for next year?
    I'd really appreciate any help

Repeat your hpat too, i recall a user on here saying that british universities rarely accept repeat students. But i'm not sure if they would count you as one if you haven't done the ukcat yet? Cover all your bases, 6A's is a solid foundation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hermoinegirl94

Good luck tomorrow everyone! Que sera sera :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

yoyojc wrote: »
    Hi, I'm hoping someone could help me out!

I'll probably just miss out on Med this year due to my HPAT but I did get 6 A's in the Leaving Cert

Can I use these grades which I got this year to apply to the UK for next year?
    I'd really appreciate any help :)

how many combined points do you have atm if you don't mind my asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SC2020

should i be ok for ucd with 735?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveMc90

Hey need advice , hpat didn't really go as planned getting the. 67th percentile, and with the LC I'm not sure how to feel with 570, however am getting 2 subjects rechecked which I'm almost certain are wrongly marked or hoping! Which could manage to give me 590 (bets case scenario) , anyway I'm just wondering should I repeat and attempt to max my LC points and an improved hpat or if I get biomed in ucd to just do that for a year and repeat the hpat? Also would my amount of LC points not be enough for the English med courses?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

SC2020 wrote: »
    should i be ok for ucd with 735?
    You should but you can only wait and see!
    DaveMc90 wrote: »
    Hey need advice , hpat didn't really go as planned getting the. 67th percentile, and with the LC I'm not sure how to feel with 570, however am getting 2 subjects rechecked which I'm almost certain are wrongly marked or hoping! Which could manage to give me 590 (bets case scenario) , anyway I'm just wondering should I repeat and attempt to max my LC points and an improved hpat or if I get biomed in ucd to just do that for a year and repeat the hpat? Also would my amount of LC points not be enough for the English med courses?

570-590 is a very good LC score. Honestly, I wouldn't go back to repeat the LC because you can go up at most 9-11 points and I don't think that would be worth the hassle. Bear in mind also you could repeat and only go up 1-3 points!

You are already on 714-716ish which is still fairly high so I'd say just re-do HPAT. Much easier to make up the ground that way.

English Med courses don't look at points but grades, i.e you might need 6As for matriculation. So you could get 610 but still miss out because you only got 5 As (5A1s and a B1) and they don't differentiate between A1s and A2s afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 donegal262

Just to say best of luck to you all, it's been a hell of a ride ! Fingers and toes crossed for us all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

yeah good luck everyone!! if its meant to be it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moro123

DaveMc90 wrote: »

I wouldn't bother repeating the leaving cert. You can only get a maximum of 9-11 more points for all that effort. So not worth it.

I repeated the hpat. I had originally decide to do biomed for the year and repeat but dropped out after a few weeks. I got a job and worked instead, which I would definitely recommend doing.

Firstly, it will be way easier to get a job or keep your old job when you go into first year uni, so many student struggle to find a job while at uni.

It gives you loads of time to focus on studying the hpat, rather than splitting study time with a course you are only doing to fill in time.

And you will have loads of money to to whatever you want, I went backpacking around Asia and Australia for 4 months.

Also I repeated the hpat this year, and went from 65%ile to 93%ile. Tbh, I didn't actually study much more this year than I did last year. I think the major difference was that I wasn't stressed by the mocks, submitting art portfolios and all the other things going on at the time of the hpat when you are doing your leaving cert. So again, I definitely wouldn't recommend repeating.

I recommend taking a gap year and getting a job. Do the hpat in march and decide what to do from March to September whether it's continue working or going on holiday etc.

The only thing about working is make sure you get a job you like. I had an brilliant gap year working 3 jobs I loved, whereas my friend took a gap year working in retail and hated it.

Medicine:
    UCC: 726*
    Trinity: 733
    NUIG: 723
    UCD: 736
    RCS:729

Wow wasn't expecting that increase at all. Sh*t and UCD being 3 ahead of trinity seems almost impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 dasey

Looks like im going to college 🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pidge96

Medicine:

Wow wasn't expecting that increase at all. Sh*t and UCD being 3 ahead of trinity seems almost impossible

Trinity and Galway are 733* and 723* I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mlfaw

Pidge96 wrote: »
    Trinity and Galway are 733* and 723* I think :)

Where are you getting the number for the points from?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

mlfaw wrote:
    Where are you getting the number for the points from?

Guitar girl got a newspaper, check the other thread

OMGeary wrote: »
    Guitar girl got a newspaper, check the other thread

Which other thread?

Medicine:

Im on 735 and have UCD first and RCSI second. should i accept RCSI straight away or should I take a gamble and try to get in on the second round offers?

Officially heading to ucd, anyone else? I'm worried about the point increase, plenty of people on here were at the lower end of the spectrum for last year's points :(

SC2020 wrote:
    Im on 735 and have UCD first and RCSI second. should i accept RCSI straight away or should I take a gamble and try to get in on the second round offers?
    accept rcsi. if ucd goes down in the second round you'll still get the offer even if you have accepted rcsi. Don't risk getting nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pidge96

You can accept RCSI at this point and still accept UCD if you get it in round 2. If this was to happen it would cancel the RCSI acceptance and then you get UCD.

Accept RCSI and hope for UCD in 2nd or 3rd round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Medicine2o15

SC2020 accept RCSI and you can change to ucd if u get it on second round offers :) looks like I got nuig!:D

accept rcsi. if ucd goes down in the second round you'll still get the offer even if you have accepted rcsi. Don't risk getting nothing!
    are you sure? fúcking hell i really should have read that handbook shít. thanks anyway

mlfaw wrote: »
    Which other thread?

Official offers thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

I wish I was doing med :(:rolleyes:

Anyone going trinity ?

SC2020 wrote:
    are you sure? fÃ႒ºcking hell i really should have read that handbook shÃ႒­t. thanks anyway
    yes i'm sure! Congratulations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 superduckdude

Reckon I'll accept RCSI, 2 points off Trinity though. Any chance it'll go down next round(s)? Best wishes to all

What are the chances of Galway going down a point in the next round, as that's all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 vladd25

mlfaw wrote:
    What are the chances of Galway going down a point in the next round, as that's all I need.

Same problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 donegal262

OMGeary wrote: »
    Anyone going trinity ?

Me holy moly that was unexpected!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement