Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

• 16-04-2015 2:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the exclusives that persuaded me to buy a PS4, The Chinese Room's next game Everybody's Gone to the Rapture has finally got a more tangible release window of 'summer'. Oh, and a new trailer:

Dear Esther was a hugely promising and often impressive game, so very excited to see how the developers evolve that core to include more 'game' and a more unusual structure to the title.

Now, when's The Witness coming again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Some more screenshots in the Eurogamer piece here.

Really really looking forward to it. Environment art looks bloody great and I love the Enid Blyton vibe I'm getting from some of the screenshots. It'll be nice to enjoy the setting without worrying about the need to shoot and/or blow stuff up too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Looks very pretty and could be an interesting one alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Awesome.. for some reason I thought this would be an autumn release.

On top of this and The Witness... Where is Rime? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It should kept people occupied before Phantom Pain comes out, good release date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Looks like a seriously stunning game. If a game is pretty and I can explore it, I'm in. Big reason I love Skyrim, really. I am an Xbone owner, but this is the game convincing me to splurge on a PS

This is out on Tuesday. Does anyone know if we have an RRP yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This is out on Tuesday. Does anyone know if we have an RRP yet?

I'd say around €19.99, the game is about 3hrs long but it was very high production values. It can be pre -ordered on the US PSN so that should give an idea of the price here.

On the US PSN it's $15.99 for Plus members and $19.99 for non members.
    5.3GB download.

Hmmm. €19.99 for a 3 hours game? Hmmm ... I was going to pre-order, but I think I might see what the reactions are.

Hmmm. €19.99 for a 3 hours game? Hmmm ... I was going to pre-order, but I think I might see what the reactions are.

10hr €60 games are the norm now.....

If this end up another Journey it will be a great deal. Journey cost €20 on release and I finished it in a little over 2hrs but that's all it needed to be.

Length does not equal value.

• Advertisement

While length does not equal value, what does equal value is whether the game is good or not. Sure, it looks good, but everyone knows that looks does not necessarily equate to good.

I'll hold off before purchasing.

Dear Esther could be finished in 19 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

10hr €60 games are the norm now.....

Games like Dragon Age and The Witcher would like to disagree with you

even Alien Isolation was 20+ hours

Skerries wrote: »

They aren't the norm, they come out over 2-3 years or so. I'm taking about your mass media lowest common denominator games that can be flown through in 10hrs and are asking top whack for them.

I have 75hrs in Dragon Age and I'm still not finished.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My Dear Esther running time came in at 81 minutes, according to Steam. Precisely as long as it needed to be. I have no doubt Everbody's Gone to the Rapture will be precisely as long as it needs to be too. Much more importantly, I also have little reason to expect it will be anything other than another fascinating, experimental and divisive take on interactive and atmospheric storytelling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Pointing to a few exceptions doesn't mean they're not wrong, there's been a lot of relatively short games lately. Not saying short is a bad thing, mind you.

Alien Isolation would have been an even better game if it had been a few hours shorter.

Reviews are looking good for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Gonna buy this tomorrow. Will try and stay spoiler free and just wander around and let whatever story guide me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Supposedly it'll be at a 20% discount for plus members anyway, so its that bit cheaper.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    Reviews are looking good for this.

It is getting some diverse reviews now, 5/10's and 2/5's, one thing all those reviews have in common though is they feel that it is not necessarily a game as you do not do much and the story is bland.

Still looking forward to it tomorrow and the theme looks fantastic as well, especially the music that accompanies it, hopefully €16.00 well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Interesting, but no way I would pay 20 quid for it. I am not saying game is bad, but 20eu can buy a lot more entertainment then this offers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm always disappointed with the inevitable arrival the 'it's not a game!' brigade that show up in force every time a game like this is released. Obviously it's up to every player to decide whether they like the game or not, but to sidestep constructive criticism into mere pedantry is distracting and counterproductive, not to mention repetitive.

Thankfully most people are aware there's a whole lot of things a video game can be in 2015, with developers trying different things and a whole lot of options for players. No need to be weighted down by tradition or prevalent trends: the definition of a game has long since proven fluid and dynamic. Game is just a handy four letter shorthand for a huge diversity of titles. Important to not pay much heed to the self-proclaimed gate-keepers of 'what a game is'.

The game is up on the store but not with the PS+ disount. Hopefully this is applied later as I wanna get stuck in tonight.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ie/games/everybody%e2%80%99s-gone-to-the-rapture/cid=EP9000-CUSA01511_00-GONETOTHERAPTURE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'm always disappointed with the inevitable arrival the 'it's not a game!' brigade that show up in force every time a game like this is released. Obviously it's up to every player to decide whether they like the game or not, but to sidestep constructive criticism into mere pedantry is distracting and counterproductive, not to mention repetitive.

Thankfully most people are aware there's a whole lot of things a video game can be in 2015, with developers trying different things and a whole lot of options for players. No need to be weighted down by tradition or prevalent trends: the definition of a game has long since proven fluid and dynamic. Game is just a handy four letter shorthand for a huge diversity of titles. Important to not pay much heed to the self-proclaimed gate-keepers of 'what a game is'.

I agree with this quite a lot. Just because a game is a dull walking-simulator with minimal gameplay doesn't mean it's not a game... it just means it's crap.

Dear Esther was ok.

As for thread title game... going by the trailer alone I don't even know what to make of it. A room? Ok. Whatever.

Edit: Checked the store page. Looks like an environment 3D artist's portfolio.

As for thread title game... going by the trailer alone I don't even know what to make of it. A room? Ok. Whatever.

Edit: Checked the store page. Looks like an environment 3D artist's portfolio.

It doesn't sound like you know much on the game at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Correct. It doesn't tell me much in either trailer other than than that it has 3D environments and VAs.

20% discount now appears on the PS store. Just bought it for €15.99

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was surprised to see it has a platnium.

• Advertisement

People that have bought it - have you played it? I'd love to hear some gameplay impressions before making up my mind. Completely disregarding the looks (because it'd be hoped/expected that games would in this current generation would at least look good), is it a good experience?

Advertisement