Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World cup 2015 Jersies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

callaway92 wrote: »
    Rugby jersey sales of official jerseys (Country & Club) here pale in significance compared to the equivalent in football.

It genuinely isn't a big market. The general cost of official gear excludes many from being able to afford them.

The Irish rugby jersey outsells Irish soccer jersey two to one most years with exception of 2012.

Club jerseys are a very different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

its_phil wrote: »
    The Irish rugby jersey outsells Irish soccer jersey two to one most years with exception of 2012.

Club jerseys are a very different story though.

For one reason only...the sponsor on the Football jersey.

In my comment I said it was for National and Club teams anyway..not just National.

Rugby - Gear for other countries/clubs (other than Ireland) is pitiful where available - I've looked into this in the last year where available.

For one reaso only...the sponsor on the Football jersey.

It's the exact same sponsor..3

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

For one reaso only...the sponsor on the Football jersey.

In my comment I said it was for National and Club teams anyway..not just National.

The same sponsor as the rugby team? :confused:

International football jersey with a sponsor on the front is a massive turn-off. I didn't mean '3' was the turn-off. Jesus . . . .

• Advertisement

International football jersey with a sponsor on the front is a massive turn-off. I didn't mean '3' was the turn-off. Jesus . . . .

Both Irish jerseys rugby and football share the same sponsor...Not sure why you're getting into such a tiff about it.

its_phil wrote: »
    Both Irish jerseys rugby and football share the same sponsor...Not sure why you're getting into such a tiff about it.

No I'm not saying that there's a problem with '3'....it's that there is a Sponsor on the jersey at all. All international football jerseys bar Ireland's are purchasable without a sponsor..that's why people don't bother with the Ireland one. A simple google would show the complaints about it.

I'm not getting into a tiff about it. Somebody questioned me on my reasoning and I explained it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

No I'm not saying that there's a problem with '3'....it's that there is a Sponsor on the jersey at all. All international football jerseys bar Ireland's are purchasable without a sponsor..that's why people don't bother with the Ireland one. A simple google would show the complaints about it.

I'm not getting into a tiff about it. Somebody questioned me on my reasoning and I explained it :confused:

But the op said people buy more rugby jerseys than football jerseys...

Why would they not buy a football Jersey because it has sponsor on it but buy a rugby jersey with the same sponsor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

.ak wrote: »
    But the op said people buy more rugby jerseys than football jerseys...

Why would they not buy a football Jersey because it has sponsor on it but buy a rugby jersey with the same sponsor?

Why do you think these are the same people? Is it really so hard to understand. The sales of the soccer jersey would be much higher if it weren't for the sponsorship deal. I know quite a few soccer fans (who've zero interest in rugby, and will never own a rugby jersey) who won't touch the international strip because of the branding.

As for the Argentina jersey. I'm not sure Nike would be all the bothered pushing it anyway. They've always been hopeless pushing Rugby gear. The did the absolute minimum when they were supplying the Irish team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Why do people have an issue with branding on international jerseys but not on club ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Find that hard to believe tbh. I'm sure it turns some people off, but back in the day there was a ****load of the Eircom jerseys circa 2002-04. I think part of the problem may be that we're, you know, kind of ****e at the moment internationally at soccer. While at rugby Ireland enjoy success. We're a small country so we're never going to dominate soccer so rugby is our best bet.

Anyway it's a bizarre move by Argies, money is money at the end of the day.

Why do you think these are the same people? Is it really so hard to understand. The sales of the soccer jersey would be much higher if it weren't for the sponsorship deal. I know quite a few soccer fans (who've zero interest in rugby, and will never own a rugby jersey) who won't touch the international strip because of the branding.

Thank you!!!

Anyway it's a bizarre move by Argies, money is money at the end of the day.

They are missing out on very little revenue and a tiny profit, if any at all. (More than likely no profit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Why do people have an issue with branding on international jerseys but not on club ones?

Irish soccer team dont have a sponsor on jersey in competitive games, its against the rules. But they only sell branded jersies.

• Administrators Posts: 53,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I tried one on today. The collar is pretty annoying. The front bit of it kinda digs into your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

There's a few decent new ones alright. Ours is a little bit meh though unfortunately.

Behold my hardy Argies jersey, bought in Buenos Aires in 2004. It was during the Football World Cup so the stores were full of football jerseys. It took me a looong time to track the rugby away jersey. I still use it for the gym.

2ex258y.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If I'm honest I felt very underwhelmed when I put it on. It is so plain it just looks like a gym t-shirt or something. It's also really light.

It's not one that'll last long in the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    If I'm honest I felt very underwhelmed when I put it on. It is so plain it just looks like a gym t-shirt or something. It's also really light.

It's not one that'll last long in the memory.

If we win the thing it will! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

.ak wrote: »
    AFAIK large is very small in test jerseys. Scrumhalves generally wear large...

IMO the test jerseys are a bit pointless, the jerseys the guys wear are usually laser tailored, that's why the fit so well.

Pfft, hardly! I look the mutts nuts in mine.

Those missed sessions in the gym to come to mind though.

Dem gains.

Fits really nicely though. So much nicer than 2011 test jersey. The last Ireland jersey I bought (also test - aka the wetsuit).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Can someone confirm the different Ireland WC Tops for me in the home ones. Sure I read a Replica Loose fit, Replica Fitted, and the Pro one.

Cant find differnet ones online, just advertised as replica, and pro. Same on the hightstreet.

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Can someone confirm the different Ireland WC Tops for me in the home ones. Sure I read a Replica Loose fit, Replica Fitted, and the Pro one.

Cant find differnet ones online, just advertised as replica, and pro. Same on the hightstreet.

It's pro and test. Test is players jersey. Easy enough to find difference on Elverys and Lifestyle website in the product description

The new Wales jersey is being revealed on Saturday at the Ireland match, but there's no "big reveal" they're just wearing them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rumours are it's red

Not actually a World Cup jersey but given all the chat about Argentina's ones recently here's the new one they're wearing this weekend to celebrate their 50th anniversary.

CLgYN3sWIAE6qvj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Well seeing as there's no luck on the Argentina Jersey, where's the best place to buy them online does anyone know? Might buy myself an early birthday present.

If you could get that 50th one in short sleeves I'd be all over it. Although they've had better.

Little snippets of the new Wales jersey have been posted online. Mostly red, surprise, with what looks like gold trim, but this has caught my eye....
    CLy6wQfWUAAzWFM.jpg

That looks cool. Is it still UA? If so it'll be cool. Love UA gear.

Also think it's a very cool idea of 'launching' a jersey at a game.

Yeah, still UA.

Here's more snippets. Supposedly it's dragon scales and St. David's Cross. Also something about "oxblood"

CLtghE9WsAASQDO.jpg

CLtghElW8AAQwYb.jpg

CLtghFxWgAAO5Ha.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is it a jersey? or a Marvel superhero costume?

Advertisement